Quantcast
Capitalizing words during posts. Annoying. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Capitalizing words during posts. Annoying.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Capitalizing words during posts. Annoying.

Does it make what you say more POIGNANT when every OTHER word IS capitalized??

I find it incredibly obnoxious, not so much every once in while..,but when people do it on every post....it makes me think they take themselves too seriously and want others to as well.

Teddy
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i do it more often than i usually do because i've become increasingly lazy enough to where i don't want to italicize words of sentences i want to come across strong. it's kind of how i talk in real life though. maybe i should take care of fixing that before i think about whether or not i'm holding the shift key.
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
i do it more often than i usually do because i've become increasingly lazy enough to where i don't want to italicize words of sentences i want to come across strong. it's kind of how i talk in real life though. maybe i should take care of fixing that before i think about whether or not i'm holding the shift key.

thats one thing..I havre no problem with that.....but some people do it just so they can come off stronger...seem more important...take command, with every post..you know.fuuck to them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
..sounds like you're taking them too seriously to me...
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Doesn't bother. Probably because I'm guilty of it more than most, probably. It helps convey the speech patttern and inflection and therefore helps commnicate the idea better. It's tough on the internet(s)

I'm also guilty of using BOLD and italics a little too much as well.

What drves me nuts is the senseless abbrieviations - like "prolly". It makes me read like I have a speech impediment.
no ssl yet
I DO THAT sometimes.

I guess I'm GUILTY.

I dont mind a capitalized word for emphasis. I just hate when an entire post is in all caps
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What drives me nuts.... is the continuous use... of the ellipsis...

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
DAMN IT . . . I'm guilty of THAT TOO!!!! Dang . . . Hm . . . prolly have to stop doing THAT.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't mind it at all.

On a forum it's sometimes hard to get emotion and emphasis into a post - so CAPITALS etc can be useful.

si
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
..sounds like you're taking them too seriously to me...
Theres that possibility too. Like I said, it doesnt bother me on occasion, but when a body does it with every post, it just seems obnoxious. Maybe ive done too many drugs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko/Acoustics
What drives me nuts.... is the continuous use... of the ellipsis...

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do it too, from time to time. I also emphasize words like *this* and sometimes like -this- as well. The only time caps bother me is when somebody posts an entire post in all caps, or large portions of it. A word here or there I just see an emphasis.

It's just a way of getting more expresson out of the printed word, making it feel more spoken. We emphasize words when we speak, it helps us get the message across. I see all caps and the other tricks in that light.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
It's just a way of getting more expresson out of the printed word, making it feel more spoken. We emphasize words when we speak, it helps us get the message across. I see all caps and the other tricks in that light.

I agree. I am all for anything that makes meaning clearer.

We have all seen how easy it is to be misunderstood online. Hence all the and tutt smilies. Back in the ASCII days I got used to doing _this to emphasize a word and now I am so glad I can do this instead

I try to avoid italics for web stuff because it aliases against the screen resolution and is harder to read.

Quote:
the quote tag is better for things I would normally use italics on
I have gotten into the habit of giving a full space to my paragraphs, not just an indent. Nothing harder to read than a massive block of text. I also bemoan the fact that people these days are too cool to use commas. Commas rule.

The OCCASIONAL word in all caps is OK by me, as is the careful use of boldface. It's all good - as long as it is there to help clarify the meaning, and not as was said before, to be pushy or obnoxious or "loud".

My pet peeve is...

are you ready?

here it comes...

people who make you scroll for the damn

"suspense" -

the punch line of which always turns out to be lame.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…