Quantcast
the 90´s, worst decade in music production? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the 90´s, worst decade in music production?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rick James was right when he said the music scene back in the 90s was garbage, but I feel for the younger crowd because they missed out on the 60s and 70s so they didn't have a Aretha Franklin, Sly and The Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix etc in their lifetime, sure they can watch it online but is not the same as being there in real time which I count my lucky stars that I was born at the right time to have lived it...

To the younger folks who are currently in their teens, 20s, 30s and 40s all they had was ****ty rap music, grunge and Spice Girls, Beyonce, autotunes, sampling etc. That's why to them the 90s around their age group is considered the best time for music because that's all they grew up with.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

It cracks me up how attached to their era the boomers are.
Unpopular opinion: never got The Beatles. Don't hate them, don't love 'em. Cheesy bubblegum crap and the more experimental stuff eclipsed by better musicians who came after. They just got to be the first and then everyone in pop music mimicked them for 30 years. It seems to me the shine mostly comes from growing up with them... huh, go figure.

I still listen to stuff from the 60s and 70s, but also classical and 90s and modern era. There was some real emotion in 90s music that I thought 80s music lacked. I also went into full-on subgenres in that time so my view of 90s pop isn't great either. But every era has innovated something and every era has forgettable music. The fact boomers can peel off 30 great acts from their time period isn't impressive. Every era has had a handful of greats and a bunch of turds. The survivorship fallacy plays a huge part in this. That and not "getting what the kids are doing" anymore.
I can guarantee you my Greatest Generation grandparents thought the same thing about my parents' Boomer music.
The cycle just repeats itself.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
Unpopular opinion: never got The Beatles. Don't hate them, don't love 'em. Cheesy bubblegum crap and the more experimental stuff eclipsed by better musicians who came after. They just got to be the first and then everyone in pop music mimicked them for 30 years. It seems to me the shine mostly comes from growing up with them... huh, go figure.

I still listen to stuff from the 60s and 70s, but also classical and 90s and modern era. There was some real emotion in 90s music that I thought 80s music lacked. I also went into full-on subgenres in that time so my view of 90s pop isn't great either. But every era has innovated something and every era has forgettable music. The fact boomers can peel off 30 great acts from their time period isn't impressive. Every era has had a handful of greats and a bunch of turds. The survivorship fallacy plays a huge part in this. That and not "getting what the kids are doing" anymore.
I can guarantee you my Greatest Generation grandparents thought the same thing about my parents' Boomer music.
Again with this same boring crap.

The music people mean when they say “80s music” is almost never what I am thinking of. Because what I am thinking of is music made in the 1980s, regardless of popularity or if it “sounds 80s”.

Your parents being old stodgy conservatives doesn’t mean people who dislike the bull****, overpolished, boring and conservative music made today are wrong.

It means you don’t understand what you’re talking about.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
Again with this same boring crap.

The music people mean when they say “80s music” is almost never what I am thinking of. Because what I am thinking of is music made in the 1980s, regardless of popularity or if it “sounds 80s”.

Your parents being old stodgy conservatives doesn’t mean people who dislike the bull****, overpolished, boring and conservative music made today are wrong.

It means you don’t understand what you’re talking about.
lol come hard much?
My dad smokes weed and listens to his 60s music, where did you get that from? I wasn't posting to trash talk 80s, it just wasn't my thing.
My point still stands, there's good music and heaps of bad music in every decade. If you can't be bothered to find the good stuff now it's not because it isn't there.
Gear Addict

Quote:
lol come hard much?
My dad smokes weed and listens to his 60s music, where did you get that from? I wasn't posting to trash talk 80s, it just wasn't my thing.
My point still stands, there's good music and heaps of bad music in every decade. If you can't be bothered to find the good stuff now it's not because it isn't there.
I’ve found it, I spend all my time finding it.

Objectively there is much less of it now than any previous decade.

The next worse decade was the previous one.

The next worse decade was the previous one.

If only there was a word to describe what’s happening here.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:

Spoken like a true GenX'er or millennial, only if your generation lived through the 60s and 70s, the two most prolific eras in music
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ shatz the only good thing about No Limit production wise was KLC who is still making bangers that don't sound dated, peep his IG. The biggest issue with Hip Hop sounding dated is certain references in lyrics from the years they were released automatically date tracks plus the "I, me, my" narcissistic focus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
@ shatz the only good thing about No Limit production wise was KLC who is still making bangers that don't sound dated, peep his IG. The biggest issue with Hip Hop sounding dated is certain references in lyrics from the years they were released automatically date tracks plus the "I, me, my" narcissistic focus.
Thanks will check that out for sure.

As far as dated, what I meant to say was the recording itself sounds really bad. I went back not too long ago just to have a listen to stuff I use to listen to, and the recordings were awful. Just pick a random song, something like their popular "Make em Say Uhh" by Master P. The mix is all whacked out sounding. The vocal overdubs are all over the place. etc... Three Six Chapter 2 is the same way.
Just a few examples.

Agree on the lyrical content. My taste has changed a lot since then not to mention the level of disrespect towards women in those songs as well. Drugs, violence. Different era for sure. Well maybe not too different.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ shatz sad thing is the disrespect of women will always be a thing beyond Hip Hop. Same with Black men consciously seeing themselves as thugs, etc. in the music. I used to wish I had a "career" as a credible, talented Hip Hop artist in my own distinct way, but sometimes w/o listening to Hip Hop even when I find artists in this era I haven't already heard of that actually rap, I hit a wall of sadness at times while trying to not let my own creativity die.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
@ shatz sad thing is the disrespect of women will always be a thing beyond Hip Hop. Same with Black men consciously seeing themselves as thugs, etc. in the music. I used to wish I had a "career" as a credible, talented Hip Hop artist in my own distinct way, but sometimes w/o listening to Hip Hop even when I find artists in this era I haven't already heard of that actually rap, I hit a wall of sadness at times while trying to not let my own creativity die.
Definitely don't let it die. Even though I know my time to shine is over I still enjoy creating, writing, engineering, collaborating. I honestly don't know what else I would do if I didn't have music in some sort of fashion. Whether I'm recording myself or someone else's music.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…