Old 26th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
the matirx is rubbish - off all topics

i saw the matrix
it was rubbish
i know i slagged off peter gabriel but this is different
the soundtrack was 'whatever'
how the hell did they make such a s*** movie?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aside from some cool effects, it wasn’t much of a story/movie.

And those stupid fight scenes went on waaaaayyyyy too long.

Boring.
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I remember the first Matrix.... At the beginning of the movie they could fuse the guys mouth shut, but at the end of the movie, they couldn't even keep him from making a phone call.....
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I saw it earlier today. It sucked bigtime. Bigtime.
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Did anybody notice the kitchen sounds as they passed through the French Guy's kitchen? The recording/foley is bizzarely clear and crisp.

Not much of a film, though.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
I went to see "A Mighty Wind" and there were approximately, oh, 300 commercials before the previews
yeah, me too. but i did enjoy a mighty wind. i think i'll skip the matrix sequel. go figure.
Old 26th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought the begining was gay as hell with the Zion underground B.S. Very much like Road Warrior.

But the fight scenes were cool, but of course I'm into the martial arts and such so it was fun to watch. The super man flying thing was gay tho.

If anyone went for the storyline then of course they'd be dissapointed. Go see Bridges of Madison county for a story line.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One of the worst scenes ever was the Neo&Trinity makelove while the masses dance in ecstasy scene. Uargh fuuck
And Fishburne became pretty fat, isn't he ? Trinity was so sexy in part 1.
and now......

what a bad bad film
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok, Flame away, but I loved it.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The action scenes were actually pretty amazing... technically. but yes, they went on WAY TOO LONG.

Did you read about the fact that they built 2 miles of highway/motorway and destroyed, like, 175 cars, for that sequence?

And that "Making Love While The Masses Dance" scene has to be one of the WORST things I've seen in a movie in a long long time.

R.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if not the worst ever...
reminds me somehow on some scenes outta Mad Max or Waterworld, very 80ish, thank god they didn't use headbands !
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey
Did you read about the fact that they built 2 miles of highway/motorway and destroyed, like, 175 cars, for that sequence?
That was not far from my house! They did that on the old runway of the former Alameda Naval Air Station.. I'd get a pretty good look at it every time I took the ferry to Pac Bell Park. What an incredible undertaking to build something like that. No wonder there are so many advertising tie-ins... that's a lotta jack to recoup.

Although I didn't think the movie was as good as I'd hoped it would be, and I laughed at parts of it (like I lauged at Battlefield Earth--don't worry, I had a free pass from ILM--now THAT's one of the all time worst films that transcends its badness to become comedy... but I digress). However, "Making Love While The Masses Dance" scene notwithstanding, I did otherwise enjoy watching "Reloaded" enough to say "nyeah, I liked it."

I'd agree the music seemed weaker, and much less integral in this one, and I can agree with many of the other criticisms, but it does have some scenes that IMO, rank among the most visually spectacular sequences ever imposed on a piece of film...

-dave
Old 27th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
I didn't even see it and I could tell you it sucked! heh

Nah, the first Matrix was good for what it was, although I don't think it was a deep, meaningful classic like everyone else seems to think it is. There really wasn't a need for any sequels, because the story and characters had reached their logical and emotional conclusions by the end of the first one.

ahh, it all comes down to the Matrix being intended as a trilogy from the begining. The directors were hired to map out a comic in which they were then hired to direct a series of movies that were to follow the story of this comic. That in mind, they did a good job transferring from one medium to another, however, i liked the first movie and this one just fell short of my attention after the first half hour or so. haven't seen mighty wind, but still dying to!
Old 27th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
What's 'Waiting For Guffman' about?
Old 27th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmac
Aside from some cool effects, it wasn’t much of a story/movie.
Well can we really say what this universe is???

Can we say why we are here or what its all about??

NO WE CANT!!!!

I think this movie hits it SPOT ON as to the reality of things...... I have only seen THE FIRST and thats enough for me!!!!!! (I believe they hit it spot on)
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should see the last one than, where it shows the whole universe is run by an elderly man with a goatee. Seriously.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
2003 - 2016

Thread resuscitation win
Old 28th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➑️
2003 - 2016

Thread resuscitation win
Yeah, even the Matrix probably couldn't bring something back from the dead after 13 years...
Old 29th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB ➑️
What's 'Waiting For Guffman' about?
Probably a bit late to warn you off, but I thought it was pretty weak with a very predictable ending. Didn't much like Mighty Wind either. Other than Spinal Tap I'd say the best film from that team is The Big Picture.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But you guys know its a true story the Matrix yes?
Attached Thumbnails
the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-1.jpg   the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-2.jpg   the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-3.jpg   the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-4.jpg   the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-s-not-just-you-subway-has-actually-been-worse-than-usual.jpg  

the matirx is rubbish - off all topics-gestation_crates_5.jpg  
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm so glad this incredibly old thread was brought back to life.

Thoughts:

-My favorite film ever (I'm 51). When I saw it in 1999 I was so blown away with the level of brilliance and the way those concepts could be brought to the screen. I know, "fight club" (though a good movie) is more in-line with the time.

-Anyone who doesn't like it is either a) someone that cares more about kanye west or b) someone who viewed it w/o taking the philosophical concepts more seriously. Most draw dropping moment is when Morpheus holds up the Duracell. The revelation is astonishing.

-The sequels were largely ****. But I do take exception to the idea that
Quote:
where it shows the whole universe is run by an elderly man with a goatee. Seriously.
I don't want to be rude, but that sounds like either some TNC snark, or the mark of a 15 y/o. What would you rather have had, chris rock? It's a visual of what is a brilliant metaphor. The "machines" created this "reality" with the architect being the designer. All the previous "Neo's" was just another part of the puzzle. As I said, I don't care for the sequels much (especially the 40 minute rave party) Anyways....

-"Smith" is still the greatest "bad guy" in the history of film. I said it, I didn't stutter. The part where they catch "Mr Anderson" and give him the "deal" is so in-line with any time-line it should make you wonder.

-The special FX were great. Same kids who hate the matrix......LOVED "mad max fury road" even though it was as **** a movie with no storyline or thought provoking at any level

I think of more later.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yes the first one was the best!!! (No need to see any others,they did well in the first!!)

10/10!
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yep, first film definitely the best - took some of the interesting ideas from things like Ghost in the Shell and ran with them.

The second film was bad enough to make you wish that you'd never bothered going to see it.

The third film was even worse and almost bad enough to make you wish you'd never seen any of them and that the Wachowski brothers had gone off and set up an interior decorating business or a health food shop, anything but making films! Dreadful cod-philosophical meandering attempt at some kind of plot/concept, ludicrous dialog trying to incorporate occasional vague computer/software industry terms (that just made anyone who actually worked in the industry pee themselves with laughing) and, overall, much sound and fury signifying absolutely nothing.

They really, really, really, should have called it a day after the first one and gone out on at least a bit of a high...

Last edited by adrianww; 4th March 2016 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1st March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats ➑️
I'm so glad this incredibly old thread was brought back to life.

Thoughts:

-My favorite film ever (I'm 51). When I saw it in 1999 I was so blown away with the level of brilliance and the way those concepts could be brought to the screen. I know, "fight club" (though a good movie) is more in-line with the time.

-Anyone who doesn't like it is either a) someone that cares more about kanye west or b) someone who viewed it w/o taking the philosophical concepts more seriously. Most draw dropping moment is when Morpheus holds up the Duracell. The revelation is astonishing.

-The sequels were largely ****. But I do take exception to the idea that I don't want to be rude, but that sounds like either some TNC snark, or the mark of a 15 y/o. What would you rather have had, chris rock? It's a visual of what is a brilliant metaphor. The "machines" created this "reality" with the architect being the designer. All the previous "Neo's" was just another part of the puzzle. As I said, I don't care for the sequels much (especially the 40 minute rave party) Anyways....

-"Smith" is still the greatest "bad guy" in the history of film. I said it, I didn't stutter. The part where they catch "Mr Anderson" and give him the "deal" is so in-line with any time-line it should make you wonder.

-The special FX were great. Same kids who hate the matrix......LOVED "mad max fury road" even though it was as **** a movie with no storyline or thought provoking at any level

I think of more later.
Sorry to offend you with my "snarky" remark. Even allowing for philosophical concept (depth or originality open to discussion), revealing an elderly gentleman with a goatee as designer-god of all this was rather disappointing to say the least. I did enjoy the movie a lot (first one, sequels were, well sequels) especially for the visuals.
Old 4th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww
The second film was bad enough to make you wish that you'd never bothered going to see it.
Ah man!!
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the first one is my favority movie of all time to this day and one of the very few where i can say that my money was not wasted by seeing it in the theater.

i really wish they didn't make a trilogy out of it because they could have stopped there and it would have been forever etched as one of the greatest films in both concept and execution in modern times. the 2nd and 3rd movies cheapened the whole experience unfortunately.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I thought the last Matrix movie was the worst when it was supposed to be a culmination of the best. It was extremely disappointing.
But I did like that interview with The Architect that was I guess in the first or second movie. I really don't like Wachowski bros style that much.
But the first Matrix movie was alright. The Animatrix had a few good sections too. The soundtrack for these movies was pretty good too.
Old 5th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61050 ➑️
the first one is my favority movie of all time to this day and one of the very few where i can say that my money was not wasted by seeing it in the theater. .
I had no money in those days, I had to sneak in the back door.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Matrix in 1999 was the first blockbuster mixed on the Neve DFC console. Playback came from 3 linked Fairlight MFX3+ standalone units. Dane Davis made the creative sound design mainly on his old TDM Mix System using GRM Tools and the now forgotten Arboretum Hyperprism bundle, all in DSP. Foley was still cut to tape.
We are talking not only about a great movie but about a completely different level of sound quality than what is common today. I remember coming out of the cinema being absolutely mesmerized by the mix and sound quality. Burbank was on fire back then. Blockbusters nowadays sound atrocious compared to this. Loud, flimsy and with tons of unnecessary tracks distorting the picture. Looking at you Interstellar.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I liked "Matrix Reloaded" the best.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…