Quantcast
Uncredited work - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Uncredited work
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy Uncredited work

Anyone ever have a client forget to credit your work?

Just happened to me on a bass player's CD that actually came out quite nice. I did all the tracking and mixing, and I came up with some fairly innovative ways of treating the bass that had interesting results, but unfortunately, my name or studio never appears anywhere on the credits.

He's a nice guy, and was quite embarassed about it - i know it wasn't intentional, and he did say if there is a second presing he'll correct the oversight.

Just wonder if this happens much to the rest of you...
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Uncredited work

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Anyone ever have a client forget to credit your work?

Just happened to me on a bass player's CD that actually came out quite nice. I did all the tracking and mixing, and I came up with some fairly innovative ways of treating the bass that had interesting results, but unfortunately, my name or studio never appears anywhere on the credits.

He's a nice guy, and was quite embarassed about it - i know it wasn't intentional, and he did say if there is a second presing he'll correct the oversight.

Just wonder if this happens much to the rest of you...
Hi littledog

You have a self-depreciating style, this might be the cause.
Consciously or unconsciously people are sensitive to how much we value ourselves and tend to go along with the assessmnet we're offering. Take yourself more seriously and other people will to.

Instead of thinking 'never' think 'next time my name will be credited', you deserve it littledog!
Old 25th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Sure; I've made my living in the studio for 20 years, playing on all sorts of things as well as engineering on all sorts of things. According to allmusic.com, my only credit is for playing bass on a children's record in about 1996. I don't worry about it.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All music is a joke. My listing has everything from giving me assistant engineer credit, to missing credits, to credits on records that other engineers got that had nothing to do with the project. My main concern about credits is if, say, the song you worked on wins a grammy.
Old 26th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
My main concern about credits is if, say, the song you worked on wins a grammy.
I don't anticipate that happening here any time soon...
Old 26th May 2003
Founder

Towards the end of a project I usually try to remember to bring up the subject of credits. Not so much for me but my assistant(s). very often I find folks want to use very simplistic credits so as not to make the back cover 'messy' from an asthetic point of view...
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am with Jules, I am a complete **** about getting those around me's credis on the record, hopefully karma will dictate that someone does that for me... LOL

Ever notice that the only artists that are adamant about giving you primo credit are the records that you don't really want credit for? I did a indie record last year that was just not good playing or songs at all and the guy put my name on the back cover!.. for once having a common name helps me...
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've actually been thinking a lot about this recently. I've been doing a lot of what's politely termed "design and prep" for some of the heavier programmers here in town. Creating new sounds, editing them to the point that they're usable, mapping them to samplers, and sometimes even making rough arrangment placements for the actual song.

The checks cash quite nicely, but none of this is credited work on the CDs, and I'm definitely at the point in my career where the creds would be nice.

-sm
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i have a sentence in my contract that states an additional payment based on a percentage of my fee if I'm the ghost producer, engineer or musician...

i don't always include it in my contracts. but its part of my standard contract.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…