Quantcast
Why don't they just Auto-tune the entire mix? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why don't they just Auto-tune the entire mix?
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moracspace ➡️
Now if there was auto-tune for guitars,Id use it all the time.Or atleast when my gtr was out of tune.
Melodyne DNA. Yes, it works as advertised...unfortunately. I have used it to play around, and it does tune individual notes, but at the expense of sonic quality. Here's the problem, it's cheap enough that I think it's going to be the next big thing. We're all complaining about how bad Auto-Tuned singers sound. Think about in a couple of years when we're all complaining about how Melodyned all those instruments sound.
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita ➡️
Simple, learn to sing. Only lazy morons need stuff like that.
Sure, I agree. But let me give you an example of what happened to me a few times:

I get the tracks for a mix. Unpack them and have a quick listen.... sounds... ok. I can work with the files. The "producer" says "in songs A, B and C the vocals will need some pitching....". I say "I agreed to mix, not fix. You will have to tune them yourself and re-send me the files". The "producer" agrees. A few days later I get the new files and have a quick listen. The vocals sound like the infamous Cher song.... I tune them again myself and realized that it can be "fixed" without sounding like sh*t.

At the end of the day it was important for the producer to have in tune tracks. Sure, the singer could not sing perfect. But the skill of the "engineer" that tuned the vocals was even worse. I have a reputation to protect and I got mouths to feed so I need the work. I'm not saying that using the AT is good but sometimes I don't have much of a choice. With my own productions, as I've said, I'll use it only if all else fails.

Have any of you ever done, say, a guitar solo OD and the guitarist is wailing.... the feeling and the tone is just great... then comes the Grand Finale which is a glorious double bend.... shred, shred, shred.... sounding great! then the double bend.... "shreeeiikk!" he doesn't quite bend to the note. Now, the take was great! Only the end was rough. you try to punch in but because the timing is so "free" that he just can't hit it right, or it sounds "punched in" or "fixed". You cut the region with the double bend and, using a simple pitch shift, you pitch it up a few cent. Sounds great now.... does this mean the guitar player should "learn to play right". And, what would be the difference working with a singer? He/she sings a long gigantic phrase that sounds great, the end comes and the tone and feeling is wonderful but he/she doesn't quite hit it. You do multiple takes but none have the charm of the original take. Sure, you could leave it like it is but when you AT it a bit it simply sounds better..... what to do?

I think it's a touchy situation..... and whatever happened to the "no rules" policy of recording?

DW

Last edited by lordward; 8th December 2009 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: kant spel reel gud.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…