Stuck in a rut -how do you get out? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stuck in a rut -how do you get out?
Old 8th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Stuck in a rut -how do you get out?

OK, this film I'm doing is TEDIOUS.

What do you do about resetting your mind to make something FUN again? I really want to go away for two days so when I come back to this thing I'm fresh, but another part of my brain is going ' you can't leave or you won't finish'.

I know if I went away for a couple of days (without telling anyone) and then came back I'd have renewed energy to keep going and 'pretend' to myself and ears I've only just started it (you know what I mean)

What do you guys do to 'reset' on particularly sluggish projects and how do you get your brain back into gear? I've gone into the work till 3am wake up at lunchtime place and I f***ing hate it.

But every time I think of 'sneaking' away my brain short circuits, even though going away is probably EXACTLY what I should do. But for some reason some guilt thing kicks in, which is actually self defeating.

How do you get through the brain dead bit? I've turned into a slug. Help!
Old 8th May 2003
Founder

Cafe society, you need to hop on a 29 bus and get down to Camden. Sit in the window of Pret A Mange, or the Bean (oposite) eat some sushi (pret) or a chicken Ceasar and let your brain wander trying to figure out how all the many people walking by that window are getting on with THEIR lives...

This futile but distracting chaos theory style musing combined with classic British 'bird watching', food, exersize and fresh air will help lift your 'brain fog'.

Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Stuck in a rut -how do you get out?

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
OK, this film I'm doing is TEDIOUS.

What do you do about resetting your mind to make something FUN again? I really want to go away for two days so when I come back to this thing I'm fresh, but another part of my brain is going ' you can't leave or you won't finish'.

I know if I went away for a couple of days (without telling anyone) and then came back I'd have renewed energy to keep going and 'pretend' to myself and ears I've only just started it (you know what I mean)

What do you guys do to 'reset' on particularly sluggish projects and how do you get your brain back into gear? I've gone into the work till 3am wake up at lunchtime place and I f***ing hate it.

But every time I think of 'sneaking' away my brain short circuits, even though going away is probably EXACTLY what I should do. But for some reason some guilt thing kicks in, which is actually self defeating.

How do you get through the brain dead bit? I've turned into a slug. Help!
Bevvy

Take 2 days out if that's what you need. It might be worth experimenting with shorter breaks like the one Jules suggested, which is one of my favourites, or maybe a walk in a big park or by the river, a change of scenery. Also getting some feedback on the work with someone can help if you're stuck, even if it's someone's ears that you don't trust, untrained ears can have a way of zooming artlessly into the crux of what's working or not. Or maybe you need more sophisticated feedback.

You could try going out for a coffee and making a wild fantasy list of anything and everything that could help you get through this stage and to even start enjoying it. You might turn up something useful that's hovering at the back of your mind and at least it could be fun.

Good luck

Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Getting some days away is always cool.
I am just working out where and what... Maybe Europe for a couple of months..
If people have not gathered from my latest posts... I am pretty burned out. Between working in IT 2-3 days a week and then going and still recording newbies in the studio. I have little downtime and feel trapped in a never ending circle...
I would just like to do a few bands that have talent and can play... Is that so much to ask.. Record a band that releases there CD... This is the problem about the level of clients down low. They are heck of nice people but have no clue....

So take a week off.. Get away from the computer as well. Did NZ for a week last year felt fine for a few weeks...If I go for a month I hope to feel better....
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whatever you do ... make sure there isn't a computer or anything audio related in sight ... preferably leave you cellphone at home.

FORCE it onto yourself if you have to ... I know where you're at ... been there and still visit that place from time to time. Getting out is the only way imho. How long depends from person to person I guess .... for me it is stuff like a short ski (4 days or so) or a trip to the US for a long weekend ... wonder around in some huge mall for hours. Milages vary ... hope you find what it takes my friend.
Old 8th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Since I usually can't afford to take a week off, I get a great amount of relaxation from diving into a stack of old science fiction novels. I've been grabbing random books from the A and B authors recently (those are shelved in the iso booth next to the control room...). John Barnes, Ben Bova, Asimov (of course) and even some Piers Anthony in the last month. I'll be sitting on the couch reading, and my wife will walk through and ask, "Are you saving the earth, the solar system, the galaxy or the universe today?".
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a definite correlation between renewed concentration/energy and breaks involving intense physical activity.

Biking, swimming, tennis, soccer, sex... you name it. It should work wonders.
Old 10th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I will agree with Mr. Jules. I used to live/work in Kensington and when I needed a break I would take the tube to Camden. Chill for the day sit and drink some tea eat some food and walk around. They used to have a great outdoor market of venders down by the water, and great looking woman. stay until dark and come home slowly. No T.v , radio, music etc....the remander of the night.

Renshen
Old 11th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I just spent 4 days ripping tiles off my mums bathroom walls before she has a new suite put in

Salvation comes in mysterious forms

But what I've realised is actually I need a couple of weeks proper holiday.

I also need some kind of program on my machines that only lets me look at mail and internet at certain times. Too easy to get distracted.
Old 12th May 2003
Founder

A night (or day) on tiles followed by some home cooking always works a treat!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…