Quantcast
Adam Audio Customer Service - No Good - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam Audio Customer Service - No Good
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Adam Audio Customer Service - No Good

I purchased my Adam A7 monitors almost 2 years ago, but they are under warranty. When I was in my latest recording session, the right woofer decided to blow. I could hear the tweeter only and then the power shut off and the blue light went out. I flicked it on and off, but it was dead. So, off to contact Adam audio.

I fill out the "Service" page on their website and receive this in return:

"Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you have a problem wit one of our speakers.The ay you describe the problem I would guess you ned a new woofer for the A7.We have a service center in New York please contact them for help and replacement parts:

Techni-Serve Industries L.L.C.
180 Carpenter Ave
Middletown, NY 10904
845-343-1125
201-670-1767

I hope i was able to help you. If you have any further problems please feel free to ask me again."

Besides the unprofessional email, the service center is 2 and a half hours away from me. I then ask if I can bring it to guitar center as they are an authorized dealer of Adam. They say,"

Hello,

as far as these speakers are covered under warranty you can of course take them to the dealer for service."

So, I call Guitar Center and they say that they no longer do repairs and that they outsource their repairs to a company Davidsons Electronics. So, I call Davidsons Electronics and they say they never heard of Adam Audio. So, I go to call Adam USA, have left messages, and have not had a call returned. This has been going on since Thursday. I am pretty pissed off. Is this typical of their service?
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
call again, email or whatever. ask for an r.a. number, and after receiving that, call the authorized repair place and either arrange to ship to them or drive the speakers up.. pretty standard practice for stuff under warranty.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanformato ➑️
Besides the unprofessional email
Aside from a couple typos, I didn't see anything unprofessional about it.

Quote:
, the service center is 2 and a half hours away from me.
That's what FedEx is for. A7's aren't big, heavy, or terribly expensive, so it shouldn't cost much (< $20) to ship & insure. Given how close you are to the service center, it would probably get there the next day.

Quote:
This has been going on since Thursday. I am pretty pissed off. Is this typical of their service?
1.) What makes you think GC is going to have the part?

2.) Why would you want your speakers worked on by some GC lacky who knows more about eyeliner & black nailpolish than audio equipment?

3.) Why don't you just do like they said the first time and contact their service center? That was a week ago.

-Dan.
Old 2nd September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
So, I contacted the service center and they said they haven't been in contact with Adam since June...They said they will continue to contact Adam, but are waiting for a response from them since they moved to a different location. They lady on the phone at this service center was actually very nice, so hopefully something gets done.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does Bryce still post on GS ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I wonder if some weird crap is going on. Noticed sweetwater and mercenary stopped selling Adam products.

PS Davidson usually does good work. just make sure you plug it in and check everything right in front of their faces.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I emailed Bryce and he no longer works at Adam. He suggested I post here to see if anyone had another contact. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Update: So the service center (Techni-Serve) called me back and said they aren't servicing Adam and they gave me the information to the new service center which I will call in about 45 minutes. DBM Music in NYC. Hopefully this is the "real" service center.

I can't believe Adam doesn't even know its actual service centers. Very frightening for a company and customer.
Old 29th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Update: So the service center (Techni-Serve) called me back and said they aren't servicing Adam and they gave me the information to the new service center which I will call in about 45 minutes. DBM Music in NYC. Hopefully this is the "real" service center.

I can't believe Adam doesn't even know its actual service centers. Very frightening for a company and customer.

there is def something going on at Adam. i've called into them maybe 18mos ago because of a front panel issue on my A7's, they told me they started out sourcing their manufacturing and on the assembly line one guy wasn't using grounded wire so i get hiss when i turn the front panel volume knob. the guy on the phone said he'd have a new one to me the next day (and he did... for both monitors!). I now have an issue and i can't get anyone to pick up. A month later i had to replace an AMP because something was wrong, it was drastically distorting and not putting out any kind of reasonable volume. Again, he overnight-ed me the part and boom i was back up & running.

So 4th problem in 2yrs happens a week ago when my woofer is making a scratching sound like its either blown or not securely fastened to the magnet cone. I've called Adam a dozen times and received one call back saying he'd get me a servicer in my neck of the woods (southern california) but i have yet to hear anything about it. Speakers sound great but this is so much work to get something functionally consistent out of them
Old 30th October 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
They're close to two years old? I wonder if that was during their "Pin 3 hot" era?

As one of the early ADAM converts it hasn't been fun watching their downslide to "lowest common denominator", at the same time it has been fun watching the arrogant on the fast track to hitting the skids.

To the OP, I hope you decent luck resolving your issue, and hope that the eBay purchaser of your soon to be jettisoned monitors doesn't have the same struggles you're having [but I'll bet football betting kind of money they will].

Peace
Old 30th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:

god i used to use dbm years ago - i can't believe they're still in business...

wow...nothing bad, per se - it's just a blast from the past.

Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I too have had issues with my Adam A7X AND the customer service! I purchased mine and within about 4 months one of them seemed to have busted a driver but then it would come back on causing me to believe that it was a wiring issue. I sent it off to New York for repair in which I was told it would be returned the same day it arrived. First day they were not open for delivery. Second day the guy was not working for a couple days according to the other workers. The next week he called me and said that there was no hard fail on the driver so I explained to him how it would come and go with mine as well but I had tried switching cables etc. and that it was for sure an ongoing problem. A week later I call them on a Monday to see where my speaker was as I had not heard from them and was told that he was not at work and they had no idea where my speaker was to call back on Thursday morning. I wrote Adam this to explain my frustration to have no response. Needless to say I am not surprised. I love Adam Speakers and was looking to upgrade when I built my new studio this next Spring but now I'll NEVER buy Adam again! There are plenty other comparable monitors out there and quite frankly I'd rather spend more money than to ever deal with this again!!!
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The email reply, even with the typos, is a normal email from a company.

Lots of retailers are having problems getting stuff repaired by outside companies.

I was trying to get a pair of Sony 7506 headphones repaired through GC. I sent them in though GC, heard nothing for weeks and finally they came back to the local GC store in exactly the same condition I had sent them in with a note saying "no problem found" . One of the drivers was completely blown and was not working. I noted that when I sent them in and even put on a piece of yellow tape on the offending headphone cup in case the person could not read that it was the left headphone that was blown. I wonder how the company checked the phones and found no problem since the driver was not working. I sent the 7506s back in and this time they were repaired. All in all about a 6 week wait.

Once before I sent a pair of headphones in and the got lost so GC gave me a new pair at no cost.

Not sure what is going on in the repair business today.

There is a very large electronics repair facility located not far from here. They do repairs for a lot of different companies. They repair anything from car stereos to microwave ovens. My friend use to take his VCR into them about every six months with problems. They would repair it and get it back to him within two weeks. One time they invited us back to talk to the technician as to why the unit was having so many problems. I was amazed as how big the place was and how each tech had a complete electronic service center in his or her cubical. The place looked like something out of some science fiction movie with all the hardware in use. There was music coming out of speakers where the tech was checking out car stereos and he was completing with someone else who was checking out clock radios. Talk about a cacophony of sound. Anyway the tech said that my friends VCR was very cheaply made and many of the parts were not good. He suggested my friend invest some more money is a better unit. FWIW
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although many retailers will honor a warranty for some period of time, I don't believe they have any obligation to do so. My point in saying that is GC may have a service center for basically everything, but they may not have first hand knowledge of the individual products, and they may send it out elsewhere. I don't think the email is unprofessional, a lot of these companies are much smaller than they may appear. I just contacted someone for something similar and somehow they used a Spanish form, luckily I didn't delete it because it looked like spam.

It's strange that Adam doesn't have it's service centers in order, most companies would have that lined up. They have to work with someone and even though it can be frustrating, it should get resolved. Often, phone is just about the worst way to get a hold of these types of places, however, so you may want to try to get some email contacts.

Lastly, I would likely expect to have to ship the item, and have to wait. These warranties are quite different to the in store return/replacement that many retailers honor for some period of time. It sucks because on many things in life, it's either really expensive to ship, or the product is not expensive enough to justify shipping but that's life.

Hope it goes well for you.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…