The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who said being a sound engineer isnt dangerous
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Angry Who said being a sound engineer isnt dangerous

I was taking down a mic off a high stand today, well the boom arm wasnt done up quite as tight as it could be, I didnt hear a thing, but as I turned around I coped a full force U87 including spider cradle in the face.

Got a lovley 5cm cut under one eye for my efforts. But I still caught the U87 before it hit the ground, just before I hit the ground. I am going to look like rocky tomorrow.

I was seeing stars for a while after that , and I can tell you it wasnt the laughing ass **** musicians i was (and kept) working with.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ouch

Hi Adam,

that sucks, been there a few times. Maybe we should all take it as a timely reminder to look at our Public Liability insurance cover again. What if it was the front member of the band? Or what if it was a cranky client that felt like suing?

It's crap that we even have to think that way but I'm sure people can dig up scare stories of injured clients - buddys can become litigants very quickly when there are dollars to be had.

Take care out there,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Who said being a sound engineer isnt dangerous

Quote:
Originally posted by adamcal
I was taking down a mic off a high stand today, well the boom arm wasnt done up quite as tight as it could be, I didnt hear a thing, but as I turned around I coped a full force U87 including spider cradle in the face.

Got a lovley 5cm cut under one eye for my efforts. But I still caught the U87 before it hit the ground, just before I hit the ground. I am going to look like rocky tomorrow.

I was seeing stars for a while after that , and I can tell you it wasnt the laughing ass **** musicians i was (and kept) working with.
Dangerous?

You call this dangerous?

How about...

1) Having to record (2) crazy barking pitbulls for authenticity(don't even ask how I mic'd that).

2)Having someone fire shotgun rounds into the studio lobby wall because he was pissed that the engineer couln't stay another 23 hours straight!!!

3)How about someone trying to jump you in the bathroom because the artists groupies were flirting with you and the big fat famous rapper took it as a personal disrespect!!!

Hey there is a reason i don't work with rappers anymore!!!heh

I have plenty of stories like this. I guess "dangerous" is different here in the city.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Who said being a sound engineer isnt dangerous

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Dangerous?

You call this dangerous?

How about...

1) Having to record (2) crazy barking pitbulls for authenticity(don't even ask how I mic'd that).

2)Having someone fire shotgun rounds into the studio lobby wall because he was pissed that the engineer couln't stay another 23 hours straight!!!

3)How about someone trying to jump you in the bathroom because the artists groupies were flirting with you and the big fat famous rapper took it as a personal disrespect!!!

I have plenty of stories like this. I guess "dangerous" is different here in the city.
Yikes! I was going to tell my story about how I burned my finger with a soldering iron, but I think I'll forget it.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Who said being a sound engineer isnt dangerous

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Dangerous?

You call this dangerous?

How about...

OK forget public liability insurance, you city guys need to get your life insurance in order. Small town Irish life feels pretty good right now,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Arrow What about shock & risk of electrocution?

There's a fun little hazard for'ya.
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i didnt' think caig labrotories made mace, but it's worth looking into. it would look great right next to my pro gold.
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Arrow ... & risk of deafness.

Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

its the next day, and I do indeed look like Ive gone a few rounds. At least Ill have a cool scar for the ladies.

might change my name to snake.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A friend of mine was recently out recording overhead cannonball passbys. one of them landed short, spraying the mic with wood chips from the stack of 8x8s in front of it, & bounced up over the mic missing it by inches.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I heard about a reel of 2" that had been cut about midway through the reel on fast forward grabbing the capstan roller on a Studer and flinging it acrooss the room...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…