Quantcast
how to sell real vintage guitar? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to sell real vintage guitar?
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how to sell real vintage guitar?

About 15 years ago, when "vintage guitar" prices were already starting to get silly, I dumped off everything but my core players and one "investment" guitar. I'm finally in a position where I would like to sell it, to purchase an expensive piece of studio gear! But I've only sold one expensive guitar before (to a dealer 15 years ago) and I later saw similar guitars selling for twice the price. I've learned that I'm not going to get anywhere near the full value of the guitar selling it to a dealer, but the thought of having a parade of "looky-loos" coming by the house is even worse than leaving money on the table. Any of you guys regularly buying and selling old guitars? Any tips on how to maximize my return without going to Ebay? Or is Ebay really the way to go these days?

Thanks.

steve
[email protected]
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I love to go into
http://www.southworthguitars.com/
in Bethesda MD and drool at their guitars and amps.
They deal with collectable and vintage, not "used"
so I can't really afford to buy there. But it is near
my day job, so I go in and lust.

Call them up and see what they say.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
If you don't need to get cash today, and it doesn't sound like you do, I can't see how you can lose with selling a vintage guitar on ebay. If you need to get cash today, you will probably be offered a fraction of what the current market value for the guitar is at. Then again, the dealer will have to deal with all the b.s. that goes along with making a sale.

I haven't been following the vintage market for quite a while so don't know whether the sky-high prices from five to ten years ago have been eclipsed or have dropped. I don't think the Japanese are paying what they used to and there are some pretty damn nice re-issue guitars these days. Still pains me to see what L series Strats are going for today, compared to what I sold mine for fifteen years ago, only to finally replace it with a Custom Shop version.

It wouldn't hurt to get an issue of Vintage Guitar magazine and then you could get some idea of what people are asking. There can be a HUGE difference between the asking and selling price. Watch ebay auctions of guitars similar to yours and you will get a feel for the strength of the market.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go here...www.guitarcrazy.com ask Bob in a nice e-mail..describe the instrument even send some pics....he probably knows someone looking for what you have(if its a desirable piece and authentic)....he knows his stuff and may broker it for you for a fee......its worth a try...and hes very very honest and straightforward....
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Find a good community forum and post in the classifieds. If I may make a few recommendations:

been a member here for several years:
The Les Paul Forum

the sister site
The Fender Forum

In a forum you can search by user name, and get a fairly good feel if someone is for real or not. And if you've been a member there for a while of course you meet and get to know quite a few people.

There are other good forums for PRS, Baker, McInturff, Anderson, and other boutique shops. eBay can be worthwhile IMO as a seller but as you implied there can be hidden costs.
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
CONSIGN that guitar - Leave it with a reputable dealer - you could even ship it to them. They usually charge between 10 and 20% commission once it sells.

That way - they have no "risk" of outlaying cash, and you have no risk of selling it for too far below market value. If it doesn't sell, you can get it back, or drop the price until it does. Plus, at a dealer, more people can come see/feel you instrument, which will help it sell for MORE. Ebay is safe, but dealer consignments are better for everyone. Try to get it to a dealer who appreciates it and NEEDS it - they don't have four just like it already...
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CONSIGN that guitar - Leave it with a reputable dealer - you could even ship it to them. They usually charge between 10 and 20% commission once it sells.

It sold the day after the local classified ad was placed for more than I have ever seen one go for on Ebay (except one that included a matching 50's Gibson tweed amp). Their are advantages to living in LA; like being surrounded by lots of folks with deep pockets who know exactly what they want and are willing (and able) to pay for it.

steve
[email protected]
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just out of curiosity, what was it?
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
57 les paul special
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…