Quantcast
visiting engineers who treat yer stuff like **** - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
visiting engineers who treat yer stuff like ****
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
visiting engineers who treat yer stuff like ****

We had a young engineer (with good credits ) come in to our humble place and proceed to molest the gear (in my opinion)

He was using our Massive Passive and just ripping the controls around. up n back up and back. when he engaged any switch, clicked the mouse, used the comp keyboard, unpatched.....whatever, he was a freakin gorilla. I watched in disbelief.

I know this guy has worked in big gazillion dollar rooms..... but jeez

Is this normal behavior? I don't own most of the gear and I would never,ever treat stuff like that.
I politely asked him to chill on the button "punching" and he got really cocky....
It wasn't my place to call the session but if it were he'd be out on his ass.
WTF? in a big dollar room how is this behavior handled? We can't afford to be repairing and replacing what little we have for this kind of crap.

Worse than someone borrowing yer ride and bringing it back empty and full of trash.
thanks for listening
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's not unheard of. I've seen that go down in a few cases where I had some occasion to drop by a session and sit in with another engineer working, usually because I was in town saying hey to a studio owner or producer friend.

Some of these guys get in a mental zone where everything is a show, whether anybody is watching or not. It's a certain headspace, probably not designed to aggravate the studio owner as much as to feel like a big shot, IMO.

I've seem many a good tape deck remote that was killed by button stabbing engineers.

You don't really want him back? Then take the good stuff out of the rack "for servicing". Let him wail on the Furman to his heart's desire.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's worse than sleeping with your mom.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The zillion dollar rooms recoup their maintenance/replacement costs in their rates.

I just don't see why you should have to put up with it.

Perhaps a quiet word with the client booking the room that they are responsible for any repair costs resulting from the use of their freelance guys wouldn't go amiss.

I mean, if you wreck a rental car, you're going to expect to see a whopping charge on your next credit card statement!heh
Old 17th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
related incidient recently

I showed the person I'm collaborating/composing tunes with how to do a punch-in with PT so he could track me on bass. I was mystified and somewhat horrified to watch him circle his fingers over the keyboard, and then, locating the button he was after, POUNDING it down like he was operating a pre-press machine or something. He asked me why I was laughing and I had to explain that punching-in doesn't mean you literally PUNCH the keys. Aside from that misunderstanding, he's still allowed in the studio...

lol

Come to think of it, he often interprets stuff too literally but he's got great musical talent, so it's worth it. Maybe being great in one area causes deficiency in another?
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You should definately confront the issue, ther are good methods listed here, it is one this to run gear hot, or use "bad" technique to get a certian sound, but gear abuse is not worth tolerating. If it is a client who brings you massive amounts of work, it may be worth the occisional remote control, but there is no reason to be hammering on a Massive Passive.

I personally would institue some sort of cinversation with the client ( with or without the engineer present, preferably with) that any damage to gear for misuse will be paid before tapes are released, and let them know that mis treeatment of gear is not something you tolerate. The client will probablly understand that they would be pssed if the great "x" tone they are getting on whatever would not be happening if the previous user had broke the gear like this guy is about to. it is also my experiebce that the story of this guys misuse of gear will travel faster then the story this guy tells about the prick running the studio.
Old 18th April 2003
Founder

hmm a few observations....

Freelancers usually have an idestructible boat anchor in front of them all day.

A huge desk.

You can -

Put your feet up on it
Pound your fist on the edge of it
Kick it

Without damaging it - most times.

the guy I get to fix my computers

1) SLAMS his finger on the keyboard!

2) Drums with ringed fingers on the edge of my desk (not good news if you know the paint on a ProControl!)

He is just overall quite ROUGH with stuff..

I think it all come from the seemingly indestructable arm rests of SSL & Neve consoles. They are used to those...

A freelancer came to look at a tape echo unit as a favour today..I had it on a table that I had built that folds up from the wall, (we eat dinner off it in the control room) He leant on the table with his full weight as he looked at it, and was keen to sit on the table as well. I had to "warn him off" in case it all colapsed under the pressure...

Think about it.... Control rooms are solidly durable 'padded cells' - I think you have to sometimes forgive the inmates - they are mostly nutz anyway.

For a freelancer gear is to be used (sometimes abused) but I agree NOT distroyed.....

I dont care if my gear gets dinged much, as long as it still works...

Slaming stuff, yup it's a known "style" from the trenches...

Dont like it myself..,

I have a sort of 'inner caffeine rage' - I dont externalize it on the gear but I DO beat the crap out of the couch fairly often while mixing!

Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

I have a sort of 'inner caffeine rage' - I dont externalize it on the gear but I DO beat the crap out of the couch fairly often while mixing!

funny you should mention that....we bought a very grroooovy loveseat/sleeper at the second hand store today that will be recovered and reside between the outboard racks (we're thinking burgandy velvet)
I'll be able to mix till 4 am and turn around and pull the twin sized bed out, and crash...(or fire up a DVD)

Maybe I'll keep some extra pillows on it to smack the freelancer engineers with.....heh
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

funny you should mention that....we bought a very grroooovy loveseat/sleeper at the decond hand store today that will be recovered and reside between the outboard racks (we're thinking burgandy velvet)
I'll be able to mix till 4 am and turn around and pull the twin sized bed out, and crash...(or fire up a DVD)

Maybe I'll keep some extra pillows on it to smack the Freelancers with.....heh
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…