Quantcast
I'm losing touch with the music scene! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm losing touch with the music scene!
Old 10th July 2005 | Show parent
There is only one

🎧 15 years
sparklehorse innit emo at all... they are so far from it it makes me wonder how much you actaully encompass into the emo genre that really isnt... that or maybe i have no f'ucking clue except for the ****ty bands i hear called emo.
Old 11th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Depressing times, depressing lyrics/music. It's just the world we live in. Music is honest. If the music changes it means the rest is changing too. If you like it or not. Just watch the news. And stop living in the past! I think...
There's emo and "emo". Like you have rock and "rock" or punk and "punk". I like emo, a lot, now shoot me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
BOOM!

but seriously, alpha, your comment about the lightbulbs was classic. I wet my pants a little on that one. Crooked edge was great too. Let's all be crooked edge and butter knife our wrists. Zdjavid15Z
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
sparklehorse innit emo at all... they are so far from it it makes me wonder how much you actaully encompass into the emo genre that really isnt... that or maybe i have no f'ucking clue except for the ****ty bands i hear called emo.
Then perhaps our ideas of emo are different. Thats ok, there are probably tons of crappy emo bands that I would probably agree with you about. For me Emo is a direct decendent of things like Nick Drake and The Cure, what my friends used to call "Shoe-Gazer" or "Mope-rock". Red House Painters were my particular favorite.

I must admit I never did like the title "Emo".
There is only one

🎧 15 years
nick drake fully isnt "emo".... so there is a GIAGANTIC gap there with what we are talking about.
There is only one

🎧 15 years
mwiw, sparklehorse 'its a wondreful life' automatically disqualifies them from emo.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
emo is a market segment, statistics never lie .
go to the web record store (or myspace), and select "emo", and you are there..
heh
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Then indeed what emo is has changed since 1996 when I was into that sort of stuff.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
myspace seems to be the home of every emo kid in the country. I don't know why, but it is. It seems that whenever I decide to make an appearance at a local show (which is rare since I can't stand the people) All everyone does is stand RIGHT in front of the lead singer. I mean RIGHT in front so they can smell his breath, and they just stand there with hands in pockets, or arms crossed, mumbling the lyrics and playing with their lip rings for the entire show. I don't know if middle class suburbian children don't know how to dance, or they're just too rid with sorrow since they couldn't get tickets for the next taking back sunday concert. I find it funny that the genre is called emo, but the people involved rarely show any emotion to anything. They all remind me of zombies. The kids who wanna be punk or freaks or goth, but choose a more socially acceptable pathway so as to hide away from public ridicule.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know other times in musical history when there where darker thoughts then what emo is today. The eighties, New wave, things like that and that wasn't dancing either. I'd rather stand still and listen to what an artist has to say then forcing myself to do things I don't feel I should do on music with happy lyrics. This is an endless discussion and it's not because you can't understand something that there's nothing to it. There are many, sometimes much more extreme, styles of music and people enjoying it. I don't like several styles that are going on today, but if the people feel good about it, it's fine by me. And for me, that's just what emo is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavid15
I don't know if middle class suburbian children don't know how to dance, or they're just too rid with sorrow since they couldn't get tickets for the next taking back sunday concert. I find it funny that the genre is called emo, but the people involved rarely show any emotion to anything.
I'm not a dancer, but my moods are swinging.
jordan19
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
The melodic highpoint from Mr. Brightside is a rip from Soft Cells song - "Say Hello Wave Goodbye"

Go dig it out and see what you think.

Haha thanks for the heads up Jules. I'll investigate

There are so many levels of rip off artists these days, you've got artists ripping off other artists who ripped off another artist. And a lot of them rip off their own songs lmao. That thread posting Nickelback's 2 songs that were identical was HILARIOUS
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
I know other times in musical history when there where darker thoughts then what emo is today.
1985ish-

Sisters Of Mercy - First Last and Always
Souxsie and the Banshees - Hyena
Christian Death - Ashes
The Cure - Head on the Door
New Order - Low Life
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Swans - Time is Money
Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal
The Virgin Prunes - Over the Rainbow and Sons Find Devils
Skinny Puppy - Bites
The Cult - Love
The Damned - Phantasmagoria
Death in June - Nada!
The Lords of the New Church - The Method to Our Madness
Current '93 - Nightmare Culture
Psychic TV - God Star
Love and Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven

Man, this is just off the top of my head. Was there a year with darker records released?
Old 12th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Emo look..(USA)

In the UK Emo kids dress American, and wear 'trucker style' mesh baseball caps - (you know , the ones made of netting) Big wallet chain is essential..

But now.. We get a LOT of bands with Durran Durran hair 'flicks' / feather cut hair do's

THE 80's ARE BACK!!!!

See.. we had a chart placed major lable signing recently , so we are getting a lot of bands in hoping to follow that same path..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
In the UK Emo kids dress American, and wear 'trucker style' mesh baseball caps - (you know , the ones made of netting) Big wallet chain is essential..

That is how all the cool kids dressed in Tampa Florida, in 1997.

Do you see them wearing a clean and pressed workshirt from a oil change garage? Or similar workshirts with a name on the shirt within a sewn on patch?
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
genre discussions and espically sub-genre discussions are boring and pointless. no uniformity. i like what tim kasher once told me after i complimented cursive's musical progression: "i am trying to become genre-less." kids should just stop trying to imitate the same bands, and have fun in the basement and break stuff; form band alliances with anyone that will listen. to describe anything as emo (meaning emotional punk rock) is redundant....punk is emotional; there is no apathetic punk. wait, please don't respond. i don't care if there is anyways, that's how punk i am.
Old 13th July 2005 | Show parent
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
as long as emo dies a horrible death i dont care aobut much else. honestly the WORST genre to ever exist... id rather listen to disco. what is wrong with these kids?!?
Thats awesome. Up here in the Canadian prairies where I live the term EMO has been around for quite a while. More than 10 years. We thought EMO bands were or sounded like Sam I Am, or Sunny Day Real Estate. Now it encompasses more of the new hipster bull**** like Dashboard Confessional ect. Death Cab for Cutie is about as whiney as I like to get and even that has been rubbing me the wrong way lately. The 80's resurgence is a bit dodgy as well. How many bands do we need with singers that sounds like Robert Smith? Come on already. Are most of these bands finally discovering reverb and delay as well? The music I play always had that vibe. I was born in 71 and grew up in the punk/post punk 80's so I cut my teeth on a lot of the great 80's bands. It's sort of a been there done that sound. The 20 year cycle seems to ring true so what we should do is start grunge bands so when the trend hits again we will be rich.
Old 13th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
before i started reading this thread i didn't know what emo was... now i still don't know, i'm totally confused and i have a headache...

for what it's worth... if sparklehorse is emo with songs like "King of Nails" then i guess i'm regressing into a stupid emo kid myself...

FM

FM... pitchfork, crowbar, clawhammer, hot tar.
Old 14th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I was born in 71 and grew up in the punk/post punk 80's so I cut my teeth on a lot of the great 80's bands. It's sort of a been there done that sound. The 20 year cycle seems to ring true so what we should do is start grunge bands so when the trend hits again we will be rich.
We are cut from the same scene then my fellow slutz, and I know exactly where your coming from.
Old 22nd July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
The Killers are near-perfect pop songwriters. They may be more style than raw talent, but Mr. Brightside had some of the catchiest hooks I've heard in a longggg time.
Just visited a gig of The Killers last week and they were the best band IΒ΄ve seen in a long long time. Hell, they are a great live band. They had British Sea Power opening for them and although they were doing good they looked like rookies after The Killers did their magic. Love their album, love their songs, love their liveshow - what else can I say ?!

Greetings,
Bill
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
That is how all the cool kids dressed in Tampa Florida, in 1997.

Yeah, pretty much.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
Just visited a gig of The Killers last week and they were the best band IΒ΄ve seen in a long long time. Hell, they are a great live band. They had British Sea Power opening for them and although they were doing good they looked like rookies after The Killers did their magic. Love their album, love their songs, love their liveshow - what else can I say ?!

Greetings,
Bill
Now I've definitely got to go see The Killers. Call their debut album anything you want -- I think it's as fun and energetic as anything I've heard in a long while (note: 'fun and energetic' have gone missing from music for a while now IMO). It has strong songs, attitude and a fresh sound by today's standards.

Hopefully British Sea Power will be opening for them in the U.S. leg of the tour as well. These are two of my favorite bands in the last 5 years or so. Other relatively recent bands/artists worth listening to in an age otherwise dominated by mindless cut and paste garbage:

Joseph Arthur
Interpol
Doves
Elbow
The Natural History
The Arcade Fire

-Synth80s
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Fugazi is considered emo? Oh, man, I'm screwed.

I think we played a show with Sparklehorse - it may have been Rubyhorse - which one's Irish?

Promise Ring album wood/water is quite good:

"So if I had a dime for every time I should've
Stopped playing guitar and put my nose in a book
Then my head would be healthy and my guitar would be dusty
And that just might save me from a bunch of bad songs"

-good stuff

Chris
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s
(note: 'fun and energetic' have gone missing from music for a while now IMO). It has strong songs, attitude and a fresh sound by today's standards.
Exactly, they gave me some kind of excitement back that I didnΒ΄t associate with music for some years now. thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'll cop to liking the killers. mr brightside is a fun song.

besides the rip that jules mentioned, there is a section in the song that seems like the progression from ode to joy, if you can excuse me sneaking in a classical reference. anyhow, it's the same or damn similar note progression, so it always makes me think of ludwig van instead of staying tuned in to the killers song. somehow i still like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I keep telling you guys, this is Emo Phillips!
Attached Images
I'm losing touch with the music scene!-images.jpg 
Cool

While I DO remain rather 'disconnected' these days - my studio is forging ahead. The young engineers here are bring in & working on a lot of hip stuff..

So I guess I am just taking a back seat for a while untill a band I like comes along..

in the UK I like

Nine Black Alps
Kasssabian (a little)
Manalo Park
Hard Fi

I am all for the 'new demonic' heh

Really I am on the hunt for a new Rolling Stones....

but then I have been since I was about 15 years old..

Old 26th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
EMO: "I've suffered for my music...and now it's your turn.

EMO will Eat Itself.
Old 27th July 2005 | Show parent
lwr
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the emo scene in the uk hasnt gone anywhere yet. ..

its a shame that a lot of cool pop/rock bands now get labelled as 'emo' by some people who dont have a clue what emo actually is.
Old 27th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the style is not the treasure. it is the quality of the music and the particular lyrics..

but some kids run to the drug store, get "head and shoulders" or any other labelled chemistry, and feel like they got their sip of culture with it..
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…