The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Grammar Thread
Old 24th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic ➡️
I think we can all agree, however, that "buttocks" is a profoundly silly word.
I always thought that spigot was a word that missed its job in life. Should that not have been a cultural slur of some type? The neighborhood was great until a bunch of spigots moved in, with their valves and pipes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
I always thought that spigot was a word that missed its job in life. Should that not have been a cultural slur of some type? The neighborhood was great until a bunch of spigots moved in, with their valves and pipes.
A bigoted Spanish person. Possibly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In a serious piece of literature (one many, many years old), I came across the word f****t (offensive slang for homosexuals) in its original connotation.

Inappropriate laughter ensued, obviously.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Of course it's still used to refer to cigarettes by some folks in Britain I guess, and definitely was widely used that way not so long ago. It's even used in a System of a Down song in that sense not so long ago if I remember correctly.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"Bundle of sticks," you silly savage.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
"Bundle of sticks," you silly savage.
Yeh, you see that usage a lot not that far back as well.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
Yeh, you see that usage a lot not that far back as well.
Indeed, and that in itself is kind of queer.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
Indeed, and that in itself is kind of queer.
LOL

mat
Old 27th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Walker ➡️
Depending on the job, if I'm an employer, do I want to hire someone who needs a job badly, yet doesn't take the time for a proper proofreading of his resume??? If he can't get that right, do I want to trust that person with job responsibilities?
If I felt great about the the person looking for a job and even they didn't have a proper resume I would look into this person more , maybe even hands on the job, 2 week trial etc perhaps ?. If people went by my spelling I would be on the streets, but if they used me as a engineer at there studio I feel they would be pleased, I am not "Mr know it all Engineer" but I am good at what I do. I was born with a heart problem 43 years ago that they fixed but back then I had to go to Maryland for the operation at the age of 8, put to sleep for 8 hrs and that will cause issues, I was slow in school, I could not be like other kids back then so I took up music and ended up doing well, my health has been great every since the operation, but it left me with a nervous condition. Just some thoughts to think about, I know plenty of fu(ked up people but they can do certain things well.
Think of it like this, I play with a drummer that is a drunk, he never misses a beat so why should I fire him ? He is doing his job well. When he is sober is when I have issues.
Old 30th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➡️
If I felt great about the the person looking for a job and even they didn't have a proper resume I would look into this person more , maybe even hands on the job, 2 week trial etc perhaps ?. If people went by my spelling I would be on the streets, but if they used me as a engineer at there studio I feel they would be pleased, I am not "Mr know it all Engineer" but I am good at what I do. I was born with a heart problem 43 years ago that they fixed but back then I had to go to Maryland for the operation at the age of 8, put to sleep for 8 hrs and that will cause issues, I was slow in school, I could not be like other kids back then so I took up music and ended up doing well, my health has been great every since the operation, but it left me with a nervous condition. Just some thoughts to think about, I know plenty of fu(ked up people but they can do certain things well.
Think of it like this, I play with a drummer that is a drunk, he never misses a beat so why should I fire him ? He is doing his job well. When he is sober is when I have issues.
Depends on the job. If someone is hiring to fill an liasion position with Lockheed Martin, I can tell you that the poorly written resume goes into the file cabinet, then purged after six months without another look. When there are hundreds, even thousands of applicants for a few jobs, mistakes are the kiss of death. Teacher? Heh, bye bye.

Of course, there are exceptions, as you noted.
Old 30th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It does indeed depend on the job.
If it's a studio intern you're going to get a pile of resumes, and the first task is to identify the serious contenders. A resume with bad grammar and spelling mistakes does not make it to round two.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah I didn't realize I was trying to get a job when I'm giving people advice or my opinion on here.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Gearslutz.com App
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Realize that gearslutz has made an app for phones and I think its unreasonable to expect a completely formal response on here anymore. I think u 2 shud b like every1 k?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Gearslutz.com App
Old 31st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ➡️
It's bad enough that people speak the words "Quote Unquote" when quoting something, rather than using inflection. It's even worse when they write it in a post. Here's an example from GS:

...and then that will lift up the quote-unquote noise floor, so it’s almost exactly how...

Yes. Instead of using actual quotation marks around the words "noise floor" this slut actually wrote "quote-unquote"!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…