Quantcast
The Grammar Thread - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Grammar Thread
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, Thomas Pynchon is only like my spiritual guidepost and guiding star and guidebook to everything I've done and thought since I first read Gravity's Rainbow in 1974-- that's all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of learning to spell in order to avoid being an uneducated ignoramus, we all should learn to smell in order to avoid being an unscented igneous. I don't know about *you*, but I'd MUCH rather be an unscented ignoramus than an uneducated igneous. Not that it really matters, but just in case it *does*, you know, you really have to think these things *threw*.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I understand the reason you wrote this thread but in everyone who's made grammatical errors, I feel this is a casual forum where engineers should be able to talk like we are all close friends. Sometimes we are trying to type quickly and feel like just getting the point across. On top of that I post a lot on my phone and don't really feel like typing like im talking to my boss most of the time. Feel free to skip over my posts.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Gearslutz.com App
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
And I certainly don't proof read. Who am I trying to impress?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Gearslutz.com App
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I get a lot of resumes from kids fresh out of school. Simple spelling and grammatical errors are common. I see it all over message boards, too. It leaves me with the impression that the college generation is less intelligent. I realize that this may not be a solid gauge for intelligence, but when I see these types of errors that's the impression I'm left with. It wasn't this bad 15 years ago, before spell checkers and abbreviated shorthand texting simplified that part of our brains.

Resumes with these types of errors go straight to the trash. On GS, when I read inexcusable errors like what the OP is trying to describe, I subconsciously demote the author.

We can pretend that these things don't matter, but they do -- people are always judging other people and these bad habits on forums will overlap into important situations in real life. Like resumes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
had a similar thread here a while back...

people using your instead of you're is still the most egregious offender for me.

i admit though that with lots of casual internet typing my capitalization has gone by the way-side, so who am i to talk?

at least i recognize it though....but really....what's so important about peoples' names or the first letter of a sentence?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman ➑️
The highly esteemed badge of honer.
Old 23rd May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic ➑️
at least i recognize it though....but really....what's so important about peoples' names or the first letter of a sentence?
Your apostrophe seems to have taken up roost on the wrong side of the s.

(Honestly, I don't care -- I just wanted to use the phrase "taken up roost." heh)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
people's peepholes

i looked it up and it seems to be valid to use it like i did as evidenced in this sentence:

"During his life as an explorer, he traveled among many different peoples of widely varied cultural backgrounds. He learned to value all the peoples' distinctive contributions to the sum of human knowledge."

i guess...or maybe not...

either way, i feel kind of ashamed that i just spent time doing that....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah that is one that technically doesn't matter much -- less than 5% of people on gearslutz will notice it, since most GS readers are focusing on the gear content, and it's not very obvious.

Other examples: reek vs. wreak; out loud vs. aloud.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am personally, honestly-- at least giving it a trial period-- of just skipping over what are people's (and peoples') obvious mistakes and trying to assess the content of their characterizations, rather than the color of their slovenlinesses.

It's kind of knee-jerkism to react with disdain or disgust or some kind of hifalutin' grandiosity when confronted with errors of this nature, I mean, not everyone is the didactic little fussbudget I am about this stuff ... like, obviously...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yo allz u bitchez be playin man..... mai language is who i is and i unno let nobody tellz me how to speak... if they is confustiated by mai spellz, they is can phuk of.

Yes I was bored.

alexP
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Yes, that would be everyone's grammar.
This thread has serious issues, maybe we should type some other language besides english and we would not have this problem.

A word spelt incorrect has never bothered me, someone typing a entire sentence that I don't understand must less makes no sense at all.
well that rubs my skin the wrong way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
well that rubs my skin the wrong way.

I will trust that you have invented some sort of revolutionary device that allows sentences to give massages.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
As I've always understood it, 'people' is kind of inherently plural. Though you are refering to people as a single thing, it's really still plural. So you'd use "people" and "people's" in almost any case, e.g. "the people's candidate" which still is obviously talking about the candidate of many individuals.

You'd only use "peoples" if you were using as in 'the peoples of South America", which is kind of a double plural meaning multiple different groups of multiple individuals. So a really good reason for using possesive "peoples'" is kind of hard to come up with, as far as I can tell. I guess you could say "the South American peoples' candidate", but even there it would seem that in this case, since you are not differentiating them into multiple groups of people, that they are still a single group of people for this purpose and you'd say "the South American people's candidate". If you said "the candidate of the South America peoples", which would be more likely I guess, you aren't using the posessive in that case.

Then again, I could be wrong...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People saw the peoples through their pupils with the peoples' own peepholes which were small like the people's peeholes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, that would be everyone's grammar.
You've never even met my Grammar.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But Golden, your lack of capitalization bothers me even more than miss-spellings, and oozes laziness.
gettin' all e.e. cummings on your asses

also..."miss-spellings"? totally unnecessary hyphen
that's right, i went there!

i must admit, it is refreshing to hear from people on the internet who actually care about grammar and whatnot -though gearslutz forum posts are somewhat lower on my priority list for grammatical correctness than, say, a term paper, cover letter or suicide note.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you no their's sum poeple hear, that dont have english as they're first languange heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
People come off as uneducated and stupid because of repeated grammatical errors.
In my experience audio engineers aren't the most intelligent and educated bunch, so I'm not sure why they should be expected to write as such.

Obviously there are some exceptions, but it's not like you think "oh, he must be really intelligent" when you hear someone is an audio engineer.

Grammar mistakes do frustrate me, but bad grammar doesn't make me think the writer has an invalid view on an audio topic.

There is already a grammar thread here:

https://gearspace.com/board/gear-fre...ar-thread.html

You also have to remember that for many people on this site, english is their second language.

Matt
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas ➑️
In my experience audio engineers aren't the most intelligent and educated bunch, so I'm not sure why they should be expected to write as such.

Obviously there are some exceptions, but it's not like you think "oh, he must be really intelligent" when you hear someone is an audio engineer.

Grammar mistakes do frustrate me, but bad grammar doesn't make me think the writer has an invalid view on an audio topic.

There is already a grammar thread here:

https://gearspace.com/board/gear-fre...ar-thread.html

You also have to remember that for many people on this site, english is their second language.

Matt
U
r so write , great post Matte, my grades in school were never that great, girls, drugs and booze was way more important, but they had nothing 2 do with my ears and audio skills. I look back and would not change a thing.
I had rather had my grammer bad instead of turning out to be a geek and stupid behind the audio desk. Besides eye met my wife of 31 years not worrying about crappy school back then.
That is a huge topic in our era right now, does not mean U need a free pass to do drugs etc, but eye see most college grads cannot not find a job and have ben looking for many years.
So it is great engineers over grammer geeks. heh
My signature says "I need a spell app", so not hiding anything here.
If they really want to bitch about grammar skills and writing, then choose most any Dr and go tell them off.
By the way I can not pronounce the word aluminum correct, never have and suppose never will.

Besides how many great engineers are they here on GS that has a great clientel and has no teaching/college degree....
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
I get a lot of resumes from kids fresh out of school. Simple spelling and grammatical errors are common. I see it all over message boards, too. It leaves me with the impression that the college generation is less intelligent. I realize that this may not be a solid gauge for intelligence, but when I see these types of errors that's the impression I'm left with. It wasn't this bad 15 years ago, before spell checkers and abbreviated shorthand texting simplified that part of our brains.

Resumes with these types of errors go straight to the trash. On GS, when I read inexcusable errors like what the OP is trying to describe, I subconsciously demote the author.

We can pretend that these things don't matter, but they do -- people are always judging other people and these bad habits on forums will overlap into important situations in real life. Like resumes.
For better or worse, this is true. When I was in a position to look at resumes, bad grammar was a guaranteed trip to the rejected pile.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote Unquote

It's bad enough that people speak the words "Quote Unquote" when quoting something, rather than using inflection. It's even worse when they write it in a post. Here's an example from GS:

...and then that will lift up the quote-unquote noise floor, so it’s almost exactly how...

Yes. Instead of using actual quotation marks around the words "noise floor" this slut actually wrote "quote-unquote"!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb ➑️
For better or worse, this is true. When I was in a position to look at resumes, bad grammar was a guaranteed trip to the rejected pile.
I can understand this depending on what job it is, but no one should ever be denied just because they have bad grammar or speech, they are very talented people with handicaps as such.
Old 24th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can understand this depending on what job it is, but no on should ever be denied just because they have bad grammar or speech, they are very talented people with handicaps as such.
Perhaps, but it's a sign of sloppiness, a lack of attention to detail.
We're talking about a resume, get it right.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Interesting, I'm reading The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which was written in the late 1700s. And during lunch I saw him use the phrase "The people was". So clearly at that time people was considered to have both a singular and plural form, whereas now no one would ever say that. They would assume people is always plural and say "the people were".

Of course he also mentions someones 'numerous ejaculations' during war, so clearly the meaning of that word has drifted a lot since then, either that or that dude really enjoyed battle, I'm not sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the past, "buttocks" has confused me. At one point I thought it was a singular (buttock is the singular), which has led me to adopt in earnest such pluralizations as "buttockses," as in the sentence "her juicy buttockses flew into my pelvis."

I think we can all agree, however, that "buttocks" is a profoundly silly word.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"The people was chillaxin' in the Empire-- solid-- but damn, Jim, it lost the flow, I'm telling you now homeslice."

p. 564, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Edward Gibbon (pub. 1776-89)
Attached Thumbnails
The Grammar Thread-gibbon.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can understand this depending on what job it is, but no on should ever be denied just because they have bad grammar or speech, they are very talented people with handicaps as such.
Depending on the job, if I'm an employer, do I want to hire someone who needs a job badly, yet doesn't take the time for a proper proofreading of his resume??? If he can't get that right, do I want to trust that person with job responsibilities?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…