The Grammar Thread - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Grammar Thread
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio ➡️
I love the irony.
'I simply skip over illiterate posts', which was preceded by 'There might even be a mistake or two in this post which I just wrote'.

Classic!
There's a difference between a typing mistakke, like that one which I just made, in which an extra k is included, and a person who constantly makes deliberate mistakes based on ignorance, such as "do you no how many cents are in a dollar?"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
However, there's little difference when the soap-boxer himself appears to be devoid of talent with regards to basic sentence construction.

Bit remiss, that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The one that gets me is;

"I could care less"

... that's the opposite of what they mean
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I always took that as a short version of: "I could care less, if I tried really hard, but it would be tough."

Anyhoo, I agree that some number of spelling errors are going to happen to the best of us. These are informal conversations, often quickly typed. And some of us are going freaking blind and can't see the screen so well sometimes, which I find is making me spell things incorrectly a lot more these days.

But horrible grammer is kind of scary among professionals, who do kind of need some writing skills for business reasons if nothing else. We do though have to keep in mind that good number of folks here aren't native English speakers either, and sometimes that's part of it. But there's a lot of iffy grammar floating around amongst the natives as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still doesn't match the sentiment of "I could not care less - I care so completely not at all that any less caring is not possible ... "
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️

Now, the question becomes, is that an innocent mistake on my part due to hasty typing, is it a simple oversight or is it a deliberate sign of ignorance? heh

If you see me typing that same word incorrectly in any future post or thread on this forum, then that would be proof of the latter. My issue is not with people who make an occasional typing mistake here and there. My issue is with people who repeatedly make the same exact mistakes when using the most basic words over and over again.

I'm not expecting all people to know how to spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious correctly, I'm expecting people to know when to use "no" and when to use "know".
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
The question then is do you read over your post before hitting send? I saw that immediately just reading your post.

I have a few mistakes that I make over again, like typing "the" instead of "they". Is that a "deliberate sign of ignorance"? What does that even mean?
Sure, I quickly read through posts before hitting send.

I don't think that typing "the" instead of "they" is a deliberate sign of ignorance, it just looks like you forgot a "y". Those words are pronounced very differently and I wouldn't consider that to be in the same category as somebody who always and repeatedly mixes up "no" with "know" or "there" with "they're".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Muphry's law heh
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic ➡️
There's a similar law in software engineering, which maybe I get to name for myself since I've not heard anyone formally name it before. It is:

Quote:
The more times you paste a copied chunk of code, the more mistakes will be in the code you are pasting
These types of laws fall into the "preservation of pain" parts of the laws of thermodynamics I think.
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
I hadn't heard of that before, but I guess it's true. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio ➡️
However, there's little difference when the soap-boxer himself appears to be devoid of talent with regards to basic sentence construction.

Bit remiss, that.
OP's diction and syntax is, at the very least, a tier or two higher than that of the posters he's chiding. I realize Ironists flock to grammar rants like men to places frequented by buxom ample-bootied women, but OP's writing is not terrible (given the standards of an internet forum).

I also don't think he's calling out those who make simple typos. Occasional misspellings are fine; mixing up plurals and possessives, for instance, is not.
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
I see what your (sic) saying, but I don't understand what you mean by deliberate sign of ignorance. I don't think most people would spell wrong on purpose, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Most people wouldn't strive to be ignorant, it just comes naturally for some.
Your write, or should I say, you're right?heh

I agree that most people aren't spelling wrong on purpose, unless they're doing it for trendy reasons or using internet slang (example - I luv u 4ever).

What I meant is that if you saw me misspell that same word which you pointed out incorrectly in the future again then that would be a sign that I do not know how to spell that word properly and if I kept doing it then I would be deliberately ignorant, since I am aware of my error and I have not taken steps to correct it. Surely the people who make repeated basic grammatical errors have had that pointed out to them numerous times in the past. If they refuse to learn or change their ways, then it could be said that they are being deliberately ignorant, since they either don't care or they don't bother to change.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This is a gear message-board, not an English class.
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw ➡️
You're correct, and I'm not trying to be a language teacher. I am hardly qualified to be one, and I wouldn't want to be one either.

My simple point was that I believe that people's credibility and professionalism when talking about gear and computers is diminished when they possess poor communication skills, that's all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is true.

Thread is still useful insofar as it's a reminder to some that people judge on presentation.

Kind of like how those who wear baggy clothes or conspicuous NASCAR paraphernalia, regardless of their intrinsic talents and competencies, tend to come across in a certain, undesirable way. And the converse is true. Those who wear monocles and business suits to casual dinners will be mocked. Those who wear monocles, in general, will be mocked (unless it's hipster irony, or to a cool costume party, or it's a pet heh).

Grammar is a class indicator. People form opinions of others based on their grammar. It's subconscious. That's just the way it is -- can't take it for granite.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 ➡️
My simple point was that I believe that people's credibility and professionalism when talking about gear and computers is diminished when they possess poor communication skills, that's all.
sift closely through the some threads here. You will find some of the most successful audio people do not have the skills you are talking about. But they have musical/ production skills. The English language is a joke. Regardless, what % of the world actually uses English as a primary language? under 5%? music is universal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"to" instead of "too" - just fries my brain sometimes when reading threads...

OT, but a favorite phrase of mine (thanks dad!):

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Hobson

Gearslutz iPhone app
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is so true, pretty stupid to post a thread as such.
Sounds like he needs to work on other skills besides everyones grammer.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Sounds ➡️
OP, do you really think people who use poor spelling/grammar are going to change because of this post?

Foolishness.
I think that is the hope. I hope they do. I find it makes me frustrated when I can't understand someone because of how bad their sentences are. I also understand the difference between errors and poor grammar. I think it's important for people to know when they can't spell so they can choose to look more professional. Gearslutz is pretty much the worst place for grammar too. (not two or to)
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➡️
Sounds like he needs to work on other skills besides everyones grammer.
I can see why you think that way. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is true.

Thread is still useful insofar as it's a reminder to some that people judge on presentation.

Kind of like how those who wear baggy clothes or conspicuous NASCAR paraphernalia, regardless of their intrinsic talents and competencies, tend to come across in a certain, undesirable way. And the converse is true. Those who wear monocles and business suits to casual dinners will be mocked. Those who wear monocles, in general, will be mocked (unless it's hipster irony, or to a cool costume party, or it's a pet heh).

Grammar is a class indicator. People form opinions of others based on their grammar. It's subconscious. That's just the way it is -- can't take it for granite.
Haha granite. Clever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscottguitar ➡️
Haha granite. Clever.
too clever!

Hobson

Gearslutz iPhone app
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=ssaudio;6665640]However, there's little difference when the soap-boxer himself appears to be devoid of talent with regards to basic sentence construction.

Bit remiss, that.[/QUOTE

The correct usage is either:

with regard to

or

as regards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doube irony. I need to watch Idiocracy again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps he wanted to greet basic sentence construction.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe if they weren't all so stoned all the time, but then again they are probably just as igneous when they are straight. But, you still rock, man.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
On a social level, the use of language, as both written and spoken communication, is one of the "little windows" that help form the overall impression one leaves upon others.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Undoubtedly, but the inner clod inside me wants to ball up my fist and grumble, "yeah, but.... impress this!"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
Maybe if they weren't all so stoned all the time, but then again they are probably just as igneous when they are straight. But, you still rock, man.
It's sedimentary, my dear Watson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
Undoubtedly, but the inner clod inside me wants to ball up my fist and grumble, "yeah, but.... impress this!"
I've always associated you with Thomas Pynchon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
the inner clod inside me wants to ball up my fist and grumble, "yeah, but.... impress this!"

ns

P.S. "A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed." - Henrik Ibsen
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Threads like these are why I rarely waste my time on Gearslutz anymore.

Less about the gear and more about the rear.

Get a life dude.

J.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…