Quantcast
The Grammar Thread - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Grammar Thread
Old 17th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

In some parts of the USA, "Woods" is singular (as in forest)

Hence "The woods is alive"

(that "what" seems totally useless - you could leave the word out. "It means what as he said" )

-tINY

Old 26th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceyBaby ➡️
don't you mean " as A reference" ?
No.

- c
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm resurrecting this thread to add an increasingly useless and irritating phrase.

"and what not" makes no sense, it doesn't make you sound smarter and it doesn't add to the meaning of your conversation or point.

for example:
"It makes the track tighter and what not"
The "and what not" adds nothing of value and isn't grammatically correct. Just leave it off. If you feel that more information must be given, then provide more information. If you have nothing more to say then simply stop prior to adding a nonsense phrase.
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
Isn't that merely an inarticulate version of the old classic "and so forth"?
Old 2nd March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

In "the colonies" we say : "and so on".

In Rome a long time ago, they said: "et cetera".

I think it's a way of saying: "I could add more, but I assume you already know it."

-tINY

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
People often use advise when they mean advice on this forum. Not the worst crime known to man but hey.

'advise needed please' should be 'advice need please'

However 'please advise' is correct

Advice is a noun

Advise is a verb. Eggsetrawa...
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Head ➡️
People often use advise when they mean advice on this forum. Not the worst crime known to man but hey.

'advise needed please' should be 'advice need please'

However 'please advise' is correct

Advice is a noun

Advise is a verb. Eggsetrawa...
Correct.
And the reason "please advise" is correct is that the word "me" is implied. What you are really saying is "please advise me". So advise is functioning as a verb. If you turn the sentence around and say "please give me advice", it's a noun, "give" is the verb.
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Inevitably, whatever you do, do not be so inclined as to embrace anarchistic linguistic tendencies, as the lugubrious derision which arises shall ultimately exacerbate an already polarized pedagogical paradigm.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan ➡️
Inevitably, whatever you do, do not be so inclined as to embrace anarchistic linguistic tendencies, as the lugubrious derision which arises shall ultimately exacerbate an already polarized pedagogical paradigm.
How sesquipedalian of you.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb ➡️
How sesquipedalian of you.
but not hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, not that I'm making a floccinaucinihilipilification mind you..

matt
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas ➡️
but not hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, not that I'm making a floccinaucinihilipilification mind you..

matt
Well met, good sir, well met.
Old 4th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People need to follow rules to communicate now?

You guys forgot the most common mistake...

"Me and .... are going to ...."

But no one says ".... and I ...." anymore. And no one starts sentences with "but" or "and".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lol im tellin ya listen now... grammer, syntax, and spelling dont really matter anymore cuz of modern time restrants.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan ➡️
lol im tellin ya listen now... grammer, syntax, and spelling dont really matter anymore cuz of modern time restrants.
That depends on who you're talking to.
Bad grammar marks you as uneducated.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➡️
People need to follow rules to communicate now?

You guys forgot the most common mistake...

"Me and .... are going to ...."

Also the opposite, when people say "and I" when it should be "and me".

eg. "He was with David and me" is correct.

Matt
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also the opposite, when people say "and I" when it should be "and me".

eg. "He was with David and me" is correct.

Matt
That is one of the most common things that people get wrong, and it's so easy to get right. Just take it apart.
He was with me. You wouldn't say he was with I.
So he was with David and me.

Or- He and I went to the movies.
You'd never say him went or me went.
He went, I went, so he and I went.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is one of the most common things that people get wrong, and it's so easy to get right. Just take it apart.
He was with me. You wouldn't say he was with I.
So he was with David and me.

Or- He and I went to the movies.
You'd never say him went or me went.
He went, I went, so he and I went.
Yes. This drives me nuts.

The irony is the person who makes this mistake is always trying to sound fancy.

And they end up being SO wrong.

- c
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➡️

In "the colonies" we say : "and so on".

In Rome a long time ago, they said: "et cetera".

I think it's a way of saying: "I could add more, but I assume you already know it."

-tINY

Yea, you're right. I guess it makes me a little less annoyed with it. However, it seems that the people who use it, repeat it way too often. If I said et cetera 5 times in a 3 minute conversation, people would get irritated with that, too. I also recall being berated for using et cetera in grade school English class.
Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've seen a couple of posts today (on other websites) stating:

"Your an idiot!"

heh

matt
Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune ➡️
Man, that´s incredible. Wouldn´t have thought that "some people in the US
don´t have maps". heh

Crazy. Thanks for posting.
There are dumb people in every country. There are illiterate people everywhere.
Lets not go down the "my country is smarter/better/etc than your country" road, eh? It will get ugly mighty damn quick.

here are mine..

1. Dangling Modifiers

Incorrect-Tossed high into the sky, the dog caught the Frisbee.

Correct-The dog caught the Frisbee, which had been tossed high into the sky.

Tip: Keep modifiers close to the words that they describe to avoid dangling modifiers.

2. Modals

Incorrect-I should of known that they could of gone yesterday.

Correct-I should have known that they could have gone yesterday.

Tip: The modals would, could, should, must, might, may are never combined with of.

3. Modifiers

Incorrect-That student is not feeling good.

Correct-That student is not feeling well.

Tip: Don’t use adjectives, e.g., good, in place of adverbs, e.g., well. Usually follow “_ing” with well, not good.

4. Comparative Modifiers (one or two syllables)

Incorrect-I picked the smallest piece of the two to be graciouser and because it was more easy to reach.

Correct- I picked the smaller piece of the two to be more gracious and because it was easier to reach.

Tip: Use “_er” for one or two syllable modifiers or more for two syllable modifiers, if more sounds better.

5. Comparative Modifiers (three or more syllables)

Incorrect-Each new song was wonderfuller than the old ones.

Correct-Each new song was more wonderful than the old ones.

Tip: Use more (less) for a three-syllable or longer modifier to compare two things.

6. Superlative Modifiers

Incorrect-Oswald is the more hyperactive of the three boys, but runs least quicker.

Correct-Oswald is the most hyperactive of the three boys, but runs least quickly.

Tip: Use most (least) for a three-syllable or longer modifier to compare three or more things. Always use most or least for adverbs ending in “_ly.”

7. Subjunctive cases (moods)

Incorrect-If I was a rich man, I could buy what I need.

Correct-If I were a rich man, I could buy what I need.

Tip: Use the subjunctive to communicate a doubt, a wish, or a guess.

8. Padding

Incorrect-Also, never, never repeat words or phrases, and avoid using very interesting, super nice words that contribute little to a sentence.

Correct-Never repeat words or phrases, and avoid using words that contribute little to a sentence.

Tip: Focus on brevity in writing. When in doubt, leave it out.

9. Preposition Placement

Incorrect-Prepositions are not good to end sentences with.

Correct-Do not end sentences with prepositions.

Tip: A preposition is a word that shows some relationship or position between a common noun, a proper noun, or a pronoun and its object. The preposition is always part of a phrase and comes before its object. The preposition asks “What?” and the object provides the answer. Ending sentences with prepositions eliminates their objects, so avoid these constructions whenever possible.

10. Parallel Structure

Incorrect-Swimming, to play tennis, and basketball are popular sports at the high school.

Correct-Swimming, tennis, and basketball are popular sports at the high school.

Tip: The term parallelism refers to a repeated grammatical construction of a word, a phrase, or a clause. Especially keep verb forms parallel within the same sentence.

11. Split Infinitives

Incorrect-It is a mistake to ever split an infinitive.

Correct-It is always a mistake to split an infinitive.

Tip: An infinitive has a to + the base form of a verb. Placing a word between the to and the base form of the verb can create confusion. If tempted to split the infinitive, brainstorm for better verbs.

12. Double Negatives

Incorrect-Never use no double negatives.

Correct-Don’t use double negatives.

Tip: A double negative can cancel each other out and create an unintended positive. For example, “I don’t really not like you” may prolong, rather than end, a relationship.

13. Noun-Verb Agreements (numbers)

Incorrect-The calculations indicates that there will be an economic downturn soon.

Correct-The calculations indicate that there will be an economic downturn soon.

Tip: If the noun is plural (ends in an s, the verb that acts upon that noun usually does not end in an s.

14. Verbing Nouns

Incorrect-Grammar is negatively impacting my ability to write.

Correct-Grammar has a negative impact on my ability to write.

Tip: Don’t make nouns into verbs. Also, avoid stringing nouns together, such as in “Top Grammar Pet Peeves.” However, no one would search for “Top Grammatical Pet Peeves.”

Pronoun Pests

15. Subject Case Pronouns (used as appositives)

Incorrect-Everyone came earlier than her.

Correct-Everyone came earlier than she.

Tip: Use the subject case pronoun if the pronoun is part of an appositive, such as after than or as. An appositive is a noun or pronoun placed next to another noun or pronoun to identify or explain it. Re-order the sentence to check if the pronoun sounds right, e.g., “She came earlier than everyone.”

16. Subject Case Pronouns (compound subjects)

Incorrect-Her and Muffy play video games.

Correct-She and Muffy play video games.

Tip: Drop other nouns or pronouns when there is a compound subject (two or more subjects), and check if the remaining pronoun sounds right, e.g., “Her plays video games” sounds bad while “She plays video games” sounds good.

17. Subject Case Pronouns (pronoun order)

Incorrect-I and Zelda enjoy the beach.

Correct-Zelda and I enjoy the beach.

Tip: Remember that English is a polite language; the first person pronouns (I, me, ours, mine) are always placed last when combined with other nouns or pronouns.

18. Subject Case Pronouns (serving as predicate nominatives)

Incorrect-The students who got into trouble are them.

Correct- The students who got into trouble are they.

Tip: A predicate nominative follows a “to be” verb (is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been) and identifies or refers to the subject. Re-order the sentence to check if the pronoun sounds right, e.g., “They are the students who got into trouble.”

19. Object Case Pronouns (serving as objects of prepositions)

Incorrect-The fly buzzed between you and I.

Correct- The fly buzzed between you and me.

Tip: Use the object case pronoun if the pronoun is an object of a preposition. A preposition shows some relationship or position between the preposition and its object (a proper noun, a common noun, or a pronoun). The preposition asks “What?” and the object provides the answer.

20. Object Case Pronouns (serving as direct objects)

Incorrect- The challenge excited we.

Correct-The challenge excited us.

Tip: Use the object case pronoun if the pronoun is the direct object. The direct object receives the action of the verb and answers “What?” or “Who?”
Old 4th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Teddy Ray- great list.
A few quibbles though. The never split an infinitive rule (to boldly go where no man has gone before) is not hard and fast.

Neither is the never end a sentence with a preposition rule. For example- That's the silliest thing I have ever heard of. The alternative would be "That's the silliest thing of which I have ever heard"; which, though technically correct, sounds clumsy.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm sorry to do this to whoever (technically whomever, but it sounds weird) posted the thread title, but here is an example of when not to end a sentence with a preposition: "UK: Where is the best place to buy rockwool from?" It's redundant. It should be "Where is the best place to buy rockwool?".
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I choose to end this sentence with the word "from".

There we go, a sentence ending with a preposition. heh (I'm not sure about the quotation marks though..)

what are you sitting on? Is that correct? Or should you say: On what are you sitting?

edit: I just googled it, apparently it is ok.

matt

edit (again): I just found this: "There are times when trying to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition creates unnecessary and awkward phrasing. For example, Winston Churchill once reportedly exclaimed, "That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!" to mock someone who criticized him for ending a sentence with a preposition. Since the purpose of writing is to clearly communicate your thoughts and ideas, it’s perfectly acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition if the alternative would create confusion."
Old 7th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Teddy Ray- great list.
A few quibbles though.
thumbsup
one quibble with your post..

few = more than 2

(you listed two quibbles, should have said "I have a couple quibbles")

Old 7th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I choose to end this sentence with the word "from".

There we go, a sentence ending with a preposition. heh (I'm not sure about the quotation marks though..)

what are you sitting on? Is that correct? Or should you say: On what are you sitting?

edit: I just googled it, apparently it is ok.

matt

edit (again): I just found this: "There are times when trying to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition creates unnecessary and awkward phrasing. For example, Winston Churchill once reportedly exclaimed, "That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!" to mock someone who criticized him for ending a sentence with a preposition. Since the purpose of writing is to clearly communicate your thoughts and ideas, it’s perfectly acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition if the alternative would create confusion."

I don't know? I was always taught to avoid ending with prepositions, awkwardness aside...The teacher told us to stick to the rules, even if it meant that someone would not understand.
Old 21st May 2011
Deleted 94711a4
Learn to spell.. (grumpy thread etc..)

I'm definitely not a spelling or grammar **** and I do sometimes make mistakes myself when typing on the net. There might even be a mistake or two in this post which I just wrote. People often type quickly on smartphones, touchscreen tablets and mistakes can and will happen. That is not what this topic is about. I don't go around and correcting other people's mistakes, I simply skip over illiterate posts. I'm also not referring to people who might not have english as their native language.

People come off as uneducated and stupid because of repeated grammatical errors.

I can't take somebody seriously if they're replying to or giving advice on a highly technical topic and they present themselves as possessing the spelling skills of a 12 year old child. Who's going to listen to somebody's advice about computers or complicated audio gear when the person can not communicate properly? Am I going to buy a piece of gear based on the reccommendations of somebody who comes off as highly ignorant and who types like a child? The legitimacy of a person's advice is highly devalued if they can not spell properly.

They're and There and Their - This is probably one of the most common mistakes that people see all of the time. Any 10 year old should know the difference between these. No and Know - This is another one that makes me instantly skip over people's posts if I see the same person constantly mixing them up.

I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or a spelling ****, and I am certainly not mistake free myself, but I am really surprised by the amount of people that I see who make the same basic mistakes over and over. It seems like at least 50% of the people on the internet are pretty dumb and uneducated.

If people don't wish to be seen as ignorant and if you want your advice to hold any value, then learn how to freaking spell, at least the basics! It's also highly unprofessional to not know how to spell and how to properly use some of the most common words in the english language.
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Boy are you gonna get an earful the next thyme u misspel sumthin.
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimel ➡️
Boy are you gonna get an earful the next thyme u misspel sumthin.
heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OP, do you really think people who use poor spelling/grammar are going to change because of this post?

Foolishness.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the irony.
'I simply skip over illiterate posts', which was preceded by 'There might even be a mistake or two in this post which I just wrote'.

Classic!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…