Quantcast
TV on the Radio…do they suck? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV on the Radio…do they suck?
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TV on the Radio…do they suck?

I’ve been digging around looking for current music that’s good. TV on the Radio has been getting a lot of positive press but I’m not sure what to make of them.
The album is pretty cool, although I’ve only listened to it 3 times, not enough to really say much.
Saw them on SNL last week and though it wasn’t very good.
So far my impression is that they are a group of very creative people who have a deep understanding of music but not much in the form of “talent”, I mean their ability to play and sing well. That’s not necessarily a bad thing in my book. The Velvet Underground might be described in the same way and me thinks the Velvets made some great music.
But does TV on the Radio?
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. They suck. I can't believe the hype around them. Listened to their last album at least 3 to 4 times and it never stuck. The production is pretty interesting and varied, but the songs are just...blech....

Pick up Deerhunter's Microcaste album. That's awesome. Simple and intense.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TV On The Radio are awesome. I can see how they can leave some cold, and they have such a wide stylistic range that there are always tracks I want to skip, but all in all they are one of the most creative bands out there. Nothing sounds even remotely like them, and when all the elements come together they make absolutely outstanding songs. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say they aren't that technically talented, Tunde Adebimpe, their main singer, is probably the best indie rock singer out there right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe ➡️
TV On The Radio are awesome. I can see how they can leave some cold, and they have such a wide stylistic range that there are always tracks I want to skip, but all in all they are one of the most creative bands out there. Nothing sounds even remotely like them, and when all the elements come together they make absolutely outstanding songs. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say they aren't that technically talented, Tunde Adebimpe, their main singer, is probably the best indie rock singer out there right now.
Nothing sounds like them? Well, if Radiohead didn't exist, then you'd be right. My main gripe:The songs don't go anywhere...they sound like guys having a cool time with plugins and synths and stuff. It seems as if they are trying to cover up a lack of songwriting skills with awesome production skills.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet ➡️
Nothing sounds like them? Well, if Radiohead didn't exist, then you'd be right. My main gripe:The songs don't go anywhere...they sound like guys having a cool time with plugins and synths and stuff. It seems as if they are trying to cover up a lack of songwriting skills with awesome production skills.
Not sure how they sound anything like Radiohead, but hey, I'm not going to try to convince you. I would hardly say they are "hyped" though. They have released two brilliant albums and an incredible EP. To each his own.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot ➡️
Saw them on SNL last week and though it wasn’t very good.
I'm not sure they suck, but I saw them open for Massive Attack and they were the most painful live show I think I have ever seen. I haven't given them a chance since.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb ➡️
I'm not sure they suck, but I saw them open for Massive Attack and they were the most painful live show I think I have ever seen. I haven't given them a chance since.
studio band. TV on the Radio suck live, but great in the studio. Dont sound like anyone? Try MGMT for a start!!

TV on the Radio are kind of done though - their big time was nearly two years ago.... Sitek produced Yeah Yeah Yeahs "show your bones" (along with Speigel) - great record.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
studio band. TV on the Radio suck live, but great in the studio. Dont sound like anyone? Try MGMT for a start!!

TV on the Radio are kind of done though - their big time was nearly two years ago.... Sitek produced Yeah Yeah Yeahs "show your bones" (along with Speigel) - great record.

MGMT?!?! Wow didn't see that one coming. They are kind of done? Could have fooled me, they are playing larger and larger venues all the time... and they just got 6th best record of 2008 on Pitchfork which is sadly the only review that matters.

I have no particular desire to defend them, I don't consider them one of my favorite bands, but they certainly sound nothing like Radiohead... not to mention MGMT... and I think they deserve credit where credit is due.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think they're decent songwriters and a good studio band, but not very good singers at all.

I would cite this band as evidence that there is no "Indie", just "Dorky". I watched an interview with Kip and the guy can't open his mouth at all...no wonder he can't sing.

As for Microcastles...Deerhunter is J&M Chain+Spiritualized+Pavement. Good stuff for that style.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Their "performance" was one of the worst I've seen on SNL since the Ashlee Simpason fiasco.....but at least she's easier on the eyes.....

And what's up with the "homeless bum" look.......is that in now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
really disliked them live. a bit too much hype for what they do imho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
MGMT?!?! Wow didn't see that one coming. They are kind of done? Could have fooled me, they are playing larger and larger venues all the time... and they just got 6th best record of 2008 on Pitchfork which is sadly the only review that matters.

I have no particular desire to defend them, I don't consider them one of my favorite bands, but they certainly sound nothing like Radiohead... not to mention MGMT... and I think they deserve credit where credit is due.

True, they don't sound "like" them as copies. But they take A LOT of...how cabn I put it....aesthetic pointers from them. The way they layer sounds, process drums etc.

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Well here they're not! They had their time in the sun!. I like 'em.... but they just didn't catch fire the way I thought they would. Certainly don't sound ANYTHING like Radiohead - I agree...but MGMT? Yeah - got the same double tracked hyper compressed vocal and electro inspired beats.... quite similar in some ways.

Totally see Sitek as a good producer but the band itself just has nothing going on really... hence done. What an act does is really related to press perception and I can tell ya - all the big licensors are saying "nah - we're done with them"....

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Totally see Sitek as a good producer....
....don't know about the other stuff he's done, but the Foals record definitely needed rescuing!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
....don't know about the other stuff he's done, but the Foals record definitely needed rescuing!
ha! That has a lot more to do with them I suspect! Show yer Bones was good (YYY).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It really depends on the type of drug you are using
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I give up, I can't take you all on at once lol.

Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ha! That has a lot more to do with them I suspect! Show yer Bones was good (YYY).
Maybe! although I heard his "final" versions........put it this way, YOU wouldn't have signed off on them, and neither would I!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe! although I heard his "final" versions........put it this way, YOU wouldn't have signed off on them, and neither would I!
probably why they got Alan Moulder to mix most of it!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
probably why they got Alan Moulder to mix most of it!
....Antidotes was Mike Crossey - mix and co-produce (ie rescue)! I don't think Moulder did any of it....maybe the odd single? Moulder and Mike mixed Arctic Monkeys FWN album too...Moulder doing the singles, Mike co-producing and mixing the rest of the album.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TVOTR don't suck. I will admit that they had a rough go on SNL, Kyp was constantly sharp with his vocals --- which was painful, given that he spends so much time in falsetto anyway --- and the intonation was out on the horns and guitars... it was pretty much a disaster. As a fan, I felt bad for them. I suspect it might have been due to sound/monitoring problems. No proof of that, but something on Kyp's face said "I can't hear myself!"

But there's a reason why they are getting such rapturous reviews; in particular the last two records. There is a lot of intelligence to what they do. In particular, I call your attention to the lyrics. Check out a lyric sheet sometime --- really ingenious stuff. Very literate and thoughtful and abstract in a sophisticated way.

I'm glad that such decidedly eccentric / somewhat avant-garde non-rock stuff is getting so much cultural penetration and, frankly, funding.

I don't think they're geniuses, but I do think they're smart. And I find their aesthetic --- with all of its sour, howling dissonances and "found sound" and scuffed/distressed/manipulated textures--- refreshing and encouraging for me as an artist. The new music my own band will be releasing this year is not a mllion miles away from this terrain, so I'm happy that TVOTR are making textural and "out" music seem more commercial.

Recently, Beauty Pill has been fielding more licensing requests for films, etc. and I'm really glad about it. I don't think this would have happened if TVOTR and Animal Collective and Blonde Redhead (and, ummm, Radiohead!) weren't making the world safe for texturalist/experimental pop bands again.

So I'm glad they exist.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with the OP, I just can't decide if I like this band or can't stand them. For the most part what I've heard I couldn't get into and thought they were overhyped. But the few songs I like from them I really like. Maybe that's their thing, confusing people. Going to look up this SNL performance now, I'm intrigued.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound ➡️
I agree with the OP, I just can't decide if I like this band or can't stand them. For the most part what I've heard I couldn't get into and thought they were overhyped. But the few songs I like from them I really like. Maybe that's their thing, confusing people. Going to look up this SNL performance now, I'm intrigued.

Chad can you post a performance or a lyric that's good. I'm open to liking them ... I'd love to find something about it. I only have the SNL gig and it was so bad in every way (lyrics, singer, dancing/clapping fool, bad horn performance, boring/dumb one chord song, a white groove barely groovy)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey ➡️

Seriously dude, what is there about this band? They have some funk in the grooves, and they play some real instruments ... so that's a plus ... but where are the "outstanding songs"? I heard one riff jams with mumbling. Wanting to seem indy cool and being funky about it is a talent?
Gotta agree... I don't give a **** what a band "sounds like". I listen to music because I love the core elements that make up wonderful music, and from what I've heard TV on the Radio completely lack them.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bloody awful band. Can't sing, play nor write. All papered over with production bollox. I guess they are like MGMT then!! Hell guess it also makes 'em just like Britney/Nickelback/Rihanna/Ting Tings/Coldplay/Everyone else on the charts at the moment too!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
....Antidotes was Mike Crossey - mix and co-produce (ie rescue)! I don't think Moulder did any of it....maybe the odd single? Moulder and Mike mixed Arctic Monkeys FWN album too...Moulder doing the singles, Mike co-producing and mixing the rest of the album.
i meant YYY - Show yer Bones. Alan moulder.... except for one track

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
TVOTR don't suck. I will admit that they had a rough go on SNL, Kyp was constantly sharp with his vocals --- which was painful, given that he spends so much time in falsetto anyway --- and the intonation was out on the horns and guitars... it was pretty much a disaster. As a fan, I felt bad for them. I suspect it might have been due to sound/monitoring problems. No proof of that, but something on Kyp's face said "I can't hear myself!"

But there's a reason why they are getting such rapturous reviews; in particular the last two records. There is a lot of intelligence to what they do. In particular, I call your attention to the lyrics. Check out a lyric sheet sometime --- really ingenious stuff. Very literate and thoughtful and abstract in a sophisticated way.

I'm glad that such decidedly eccentric / somewhat avant-garde non-rock stuff is getting so much cultural penetration and, frankly, funding.

I don't think they're geniuses, but I do think they're smart. And I find their aesthetic --- with all of its sour, howling dissonances and "found sound" and scuffed/distressed/manipulated textures--- refreshing and encouraging for me as an artist. The new music my own band will be releasing this year is not a mllion miles away from this terrain, so I'm happy that TVOTR are making textural and "out" music seem more commercial.

Recently, Beauty Pill has been fielding more licensing requests for films, etc. and I'm really glad about it. I don't think this would have happened if TVOTR and Animal Collective and Blonde Redhead (and, ummm, Radiohead!) weren't making the world safe for texturalist/experimental pop bands again.

So I'm glad they exist.

- c
i wanna hear your band !!
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm currently obsessed with this band. I absolutely love everything about them. I'm surprised at how many of you dislike them.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownjon ➡️
I'm currently obsessed with this band. I absolutely love everything about them. I'm surprised at how many of you dislike them.
As a music lover I'm happy for you. And I'd like to enjoy them as you do ... can you tell us what it is about the band that gets to you?

Also what's your age? And what other artists have you loved previously?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=John_McEnroe;3898060] they have such a wide stylistic range ]

Yup... but they suck at all of them. It's like they raided the garage tapes of the crappiest 70 and 80's bands and covered them. it's kinda silly to watch and stomach turning upon listening. But the fuzzy guitarist is entertaining in a helium and oxycodone sorta way.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…