Quantcast
TV on the Radio…do they suck? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV on the Radio…do they suck?
Old 29th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think if i had been a little younger...
or maybe didnt see so many good reviews about them from RS to EM

i mean, everyone was on their jocks.

then when i heard them, they werent nearly as good as the hype.

funny story, i just listened to stevie wonders "music of my mind" for the first time today...

TV who???

Last edited by sleeper1400; 29th March 2009 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 1st April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, I totally forgot about that SNL show. Pretty......pretty......pretty........bad. (that was my best Larry David impersonation) I'll admit I liked their first EP a little, but mainly because of the sounds and textures, not the melodies or arrangements. Definatly not the lyrics.

Since this thread seems to weigh in heavily on the ability to perform live. And the fact that it seems like that's gone out the window (which I agree with 100%) with current trends and modern bands, being hip/cool etc., I must say you need to check out these guys out if you haven't already. They're what you might call a "studio band", but they are soooo much better live in person. Maybe a little too jammy for some, but IMO with just the right amount of "pop" thrown in.

This particular link is just to show you these guys are more about having fun, making good music and being part of a community as opposed to being "cool" or "hip".

YouTube - Broken Social Scene Saxophone Experiment

It had been a LONG time since I had been to a show where I was seriously blown away. Not just in terms of their ability to perform, but how much fun they had on stage without resorting to cliche' tactics. Just good honest times without the ego.

They're album "you forgot it in people" from 2003 is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time.

EDIT: OK, maybe they do have a few cliche' tactics live.......mainly dressing up in funny costumes at times.
Old 1st April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown ➡️
To the original question:Their CD is cool.
werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown ➡️
Recorded music and live music are two distinctly different art forms. It is nice when one translates well to the other, but bad live shows do not discount the value of good recorded music.
Sucking live is largely a result of sucky playing.
If sucky musicians can make cool recordings...I don't know what that is.
Not that this applies to TVOTR, I don't know if they suck live.
Old 2nd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think their guitarist is holding them back. i saw them open for massive attack a few years back & the rest of the band seems to have a bit of soul & a groove, but the guit player just does the fast strumming wall of noise thing on damn near every track. i think they need somebody who can riff & get into a groove. they remind me of Living Colour, in that they have one or 2 tracks that show off their potential & are really impressive & then they wander off in the exact opposite direction. do bands like that just get lucky on their one "hit" song?
Old 2nd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its hard for me to say if they suck if ive never heard of them heh
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…