Quantcast
TV on the Radio…do they suck? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV on the Radio…do they suck?
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Chad you're defending them as there is a big disconnect between the massive press and the live shows. A great band can play live, and the press is trying to change the rules in this era, and make excuses as is happening here. Sucking live is not punk, it's just sucking. This is just not a good live band, they're a studio project with good PR and a critical resonance.

You both are saying the live shows are punk, and that's an insult to punk. Punk bands are best live, they also dont give a fuk. These are not punks, they're sensitive, PC and carefully diplomatic in a typically modern way, I read the interviews. Bowie is perhaps looking for youthful validation, some older artists do this to stay hip. His interest says nothing about them and more about him. Everyone gets insecure about validity.

I simply see a coastal critics darling, trying to make us look as vital as the UK perhaps. Nothing musical or new here to me, not Radiohead, Bowie or Byrne. The newest thing here is that a black man can't groove a bass line. 4AD of the 80s had many better bands. NYC of the 70s/80s was full of more artsy/heady/punky music and alt music has more song in it. This is more disappointing critical praise to my ear, further removing good live music from good critical music in this post modern era where editing is valued over performing. </too old to buy the hype off>
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey ➡️
Chad you're defending them as there is a big disconnect between the massive press and the live shows. A great band can play live, and the press is trying to change the rules in this era, and make excuses as is happening here.
Cuz the press is a single entity that colludes and conspires to brainwash us, with the long-term goal of harvesting our finger and toe nails.
Quote:
This is just not a good live band, they're a studio project with good PR and a critical resonance.
…that make some very decent albums.
Quote:
You both are saying the live shows are punk, and that's an insult to punk. Punk bands are best live, they also dont give a fuk. These are not punks, they're sensitive, PC and carefully diplomatic in a typically modern way, I read the interviews.
Evidently, punk fits in a box.
I’ve met and on a few occasions had long conversations with some punk legends: Bill Stevenson, Milo Akurman, Ian McKaye, Jello Biafra, Dave Smalley, Henry Rollins (that was a SHORT conversation!), Mike Watt... These are all highly intelligent, sensitive people who read fiction, care about art, most definitely give a fuk, some are extremely PC, and all probably have more in common with the members of TVOTR than you know (I’ve never met TVOTR, so, I don’t know either). OK, well maybe Rollins isn’t all that sensitive.
Quote:
Bowie is perhaps looking for youthful validation, some older artists do this to stay hip. His interest says nothing about them and more about him. Everyone gets insecure about validity.
Or maybe he likes their music. Is David Bowie an insecure artist looking for validity? Really? Forget about TVOTR. Do you really think David Bowie is seeking youthful validation because he feels so insecure and unhip? Honestly?

What are our options here? Either
1. David Bowie has surrendered to those manipulative conspirators of the press and is so overwhelmed by feelings of insecurity and unhipness that he is willing to set aside his artistic integrity in order to champion a sucky band with the hopes of garnering some sense of validity from young people.
2. He likes their music.
Hmm….which is more likely…not quite sure…
If you’ll excuse me, I have to go wrap my head in tin foil.
Gear Guru

Of course the music press is not one entity, but the coastal press is fairly predictable and works in waves that can be analytically observed. If you know music well you'd have seen some patterns by now. Are you arguing that the press does not need to validate itself every so often? Or that the NY press is not capable of trends or group think?

Punk does not mean sucking live, if anything punk bands are best live, and are not studio projects ... are you saying otherwise? To equate sucking live to a 'punk' presentation is an insult to punk in my view. Being a sensitive person and being 'punk' are not mutually exclusive, that wasn't my point .... my point was that the answers I read in that interview combined with the lackluster live shows point toward 'typical modern stoner careful wannabe famous', not punk. Punk has a spirit of abandon that's totally lacking in the live stuff I'm seeing.

David Bowie may well "like" the band. He may 'also' see a personal benefit in the exchange. If you think that some degree of insecurity about being relevant is lost on a Bowie level figure you're dreaming IMO. And Bowie would not suck on SNL, ever. So I don't see the parallel between a charismatic and bold performer and charisma-less cut/paste project. I hear music nearly every week that's more interesting than this ... I guess I should feel blessed, and get back to work!

So ... with respect to TVOTR fans ... it's great to love a band ... I bow out.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Smile

Quote:

{snip} Sucking live is not punk, it's just sucking. {snip}

...omigod....line of the year....someone quick, put that in their sig...

that is truly precious...thanks, brian...lol...

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️

...omigod....line of the year....someone quick, put that in their sig...

that is truly precious...thanks, brian...lol...

Okay ... one more rant ... and I appreciate that this band is innocent and artfully spirited as auteur songcrafters in this era of people who can't play instruments. This is a post punk, post hip hop era ... I get it. But this kind of apologists view for the cut/paste generations inability to get it up live has become pretty common, it's not just our friends here that use this logic, and that why I mentioned it. Modest Mouse figured this out, added a great guitarist and became a more powerful live band as a result. TVOTR needs to figure this out. Playing live is to me still the litmus test, and critics need to hold this up, not tear it down.

Punk ROCK is the term. "Rock" is that dusty old genre where you play live and create meaningful emotional moments, with or without without technical greatness. These guys are relying on technical help in the studio to make a sound, and are wanking live as it's not their world, they are not a punk thing at all. And really, that's pretty lame because how hard is it to reproduce pre-recorded studio files and add some live explosive fire to the thing? They have the headphones on already for a click, so it's not like they're flying without a net.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've seen TV on the Radio be absolutely stunning in the live context. They just had a tough SNL appearance, which was unfortunate.

Their recorded work can be spotty, but check out the "Young Liars EP". It's incredible from start to finish. I also thought "Return To Cookie Mountain" was masterful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Okay ... one more rant ... and I appreciate that this band is innocent and artfully spirited as auteur songcrafters in this era of people who can't play instruments. This is a post punk, post hip hop era ... I get it.

But this kind of apologists view for the cut/paste generations inability to get it up live has become pretty common, it's not just our friends here that use this logic, and that why I mentioned it. Modest Mouse figured this out, added a great guitarist and became a more powerful live band as a result. TVOTR needs to figure this out. Playing live is to me still the litmus test, and critics need to hold this up, not tear it down.

Punk ROCK is the term. "Rock" is that dusty old genre where you play live and create meaningful emotional moments, with or without without technical greatness. These guys are relying on technical help in the studio to make a sound, and are wanking live as it's not their world, they are not a punk thing at all.

And really, that's pretty lame because how hard is it to reproduce pre-recorded studio files and add some live explosive fire to the thing? They have the headphones on already for a click, so it's not like they're flying without a net.
wow. you are really missing the point. have you seen them play live?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr ➡️
wow. you are really missing the point. have you seen them play live?
I hope to be wrong here. I've only seen some you tube stuff that's supposed to be good, and the SNL show. SNL seems to trip up many artists who can't play live.... you say they can? Glad to hear it. I'd hate to think that the "best band" of a whole year in 2 major mags was simply a fraud as a live act.

Why do you think they had a bad time on SNL? Why have so many people who rely on the studio for their careers done poorly there, and so many who can play live done so well there?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hope so!

I have seen some you tube stuff that's supposed to be good, and the SNL show.
check them out actually live before passing judgement. maybe it will change your view.
sometimes you just have to be there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Of course the music press is not one entity, but the coastal press is fairly predictable and works in waves that can be analytically observed. If you know music well you'd have seen some patterns by now. Are you arguing that the press does not need to validate itself every so often? Or that the NY press is not capable of trends or group think?
To expect otherwise is silly. Group think is not a result of people expressing opinions. Group think is the result of non-contributors uncritically buying into an “average.” I don’t really find fault in saying insightful things about art, even if I don’t agree with it. I do find fault with whining about people saying things about art. If you don’t like the narrative surrounding an art scene then make a contribution, shift the mean. The narrative only consists of its contributions. Whenever you have more than one of something you have an average. The average can only move as more individuals contribute. Outliers move the mean so, someone with a very different opinion has more of an effect then someone closer to the mean.
Quote:
Punk does not mean sucking live, if anything punk bands are best live, and are not studio projects ... are you saying otherwise? To equate sucking live to a 'punk' presentation is an insult to punk in my view. Being a sensitive person and being 'punk' are not mutually exclusive, that wasn't my point .... my point was that the answers I read in that interview combined with the lackluster live shows point toward 'typical modern stoner careful wannabe famous', not punk. Punk has a spirit of abandon that's totally lacking in the live stuff I'm seeing.
I made no connection between sucking live and being punk. I agree with you, punk is best live. However, I don't know if TVOTR sucks live due to a lack of exposure. I do think you’re previous defn of punk is rather unpunk though.
Quote:
David Bowie may well "like" the band. He may 'also' see a personal benefit in the exchange. If you think that some degree of insecurity about being relevant is lost on a Bowie level figure you're dreaming IMO. And Bowie would not suck on SNL, ever. So I don't see the parallel between a charismatic and bold performer and charisma-less cut/paste project. I hear music nearly every week that's more interesting than this ... I guess I should feel blessed, and get back to work!
Bowie is human after all and certainly has human experiences. However, I don't know that he would be willing to sacrifice his integrity to champion a band that really sucks. It's a matter of degree. What you're suggesting is that he made a huge sacrifice for silly reasons. Seems more likely that he likes their music cuz some of it is pretty cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lucey -

You're really gettin' revved up here. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone --- it is the internet after all -- but it seems lalmost like the topic is making you angry.

TVOTR is a band whose music you do not like. Fair enough.

If you're right --- and it's a trendy Emperor's New Clothes type of thing --- time will bear you out.

I know what you're saying about Bowie staying hip --- yes, that kind of thing happens sometimes. Older artist wants to hang with the kids, etc. In this instance, I think you're a little off-base. I don't think it's as cynical or calculated or desperate as you suggest. I think more likely he is flattered by the spiritual/aesthetic homage and is enjoying being a mentor. A totally understandable energy and not that sinister.

The truth is Bowie isn't the band's most obvious influence anyway.

Some people love Flaming Lips and consider that band visionary and groundbreaking. Me... umm... not so much. I find their melodies cloying and treacly and I can't deal with the whole blasting mellotron thing. But that's okay. Flaming Lips are doing fine without me, just as TVOTR are clearly doing fine without you.

Why get so upset about it? Band you don't like gettin' popular. Happens to each of us every year. Y'know?

If it's true, and critics are simply falling in with the trendy 2009 partyline, the truth will out, ultimately.

I wish you would go and check them out sometime, though. Buy a couple discs, go see a show. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling you might feel differently.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also, the racial aspect of your posts... black folks and groovin' and all that... seems kind of square to me. Not racist --- I want to make clear here that I don't think you're a racist --- but it seems a little antique, this notion. It's 2009. Y'know?

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Lucey -

You're really gettin' revved up here. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone --- it is the internet after all -- but it seems lalmost like the topic is making you angry.

TVOTR is a band whose music you do not like. Fair enough.

If you're right --- and it's a trendy Emperor's New Clothes type of thing --- time will bear you out.

I know what you're saying about Bowie staying hip --- yes, that kind of thing happens sometimes. Older artist wants to hang with the kids, etc. In this instance, I think you're a little off-base. I don't think it's as cynical or calculated or desperate as you suggest. I think more likely he is flattered by the spiritual/aesthetic homage and is enjoying being a mentor. A totally understandable energy and not that sinister.

The truth is Bowie isn't the band's most obvious influence anyway.

Some people love Flaming Lips and consider that band visionary and groundbreaking. Me... umm... not so much. I find their melodies cloying and treacly and I can't deal with the whole blasting mellotron thing. But that's okay. Flaming Lips are doing fine without me, just as TVOTR are clearly doing fine without you.

Why get so upset about it? Band you don't like gettin' popular. Happens to each of us every year. Y'know?

If it's true, and critics are simply falling in with the trendy 2009 partyline, the truth will out, ultimately.

I wish you would go and check them out sometime, though. Buy a couple discs, go see a show. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling you might feel differently.

- c

All good points. Thanks for articulating what I had in my head.
Gear Guru

last post ... must work .... thanks for the conversation ...

Firstly, unlike this thread's title I don't think they suck, nor does my taste in music matter to anyone but me. "Like" and "dislike" is not my point here. I'm posting about this era in music criticism generally with this band as the example ... and what it means to be a great band in 2009, so says the coastal critical narrative.

As far as personal taste, I've never seen a bassist on SNL that sucked like that. In the critical narrative that could be seen as progress ... that he's black and geeky and grooveless, right? So that makes them cooler, right? Their skin color matters then, as it adds to the narrative by showing racial progress ... toward sucking in an artful way. But bass is partly a groove instrument, right? White or black or green that guy was not happening. I checked the record and he was not playing there the same way at all, it was a bass line, there was a pulse. The fact that he's black is not pertinent in "2009" Chad? Ha! You're owned by the critical narrative if that's the case. The narrative actually says that it's cooler that he's black and grooveless, as it's a bias to overcome ... exactly as you've pointed out in looking at my response.

I'm not even a little bit angry here, it's called passion. Passion is passe in this electronic, PC era of scratching-each-others-backs and being cordial to anyone who might help down the road, so I know it's hard to understand passion over the net. I'm passionately taking a break from passionately working for artists who have varied musical talents that I can hear. I love music and have wide tastes and skills in appreciation ...and with a band that seems to have literally nothing to offer live on national TV for two songs and some You Tube clips ... being lauded by the press as a best of 200x... it's a shock. It's for me a good place to draw a line and ask what's going on here. I'm over 40 (don't stop reading!) and I don't think people under 25 are as likely to see the media narrative controlling their tastes. They might like to know there are other realities out there. From my old pale guy view, when you suck on SNL, you suck. When a band is called "best" of a year by these mags they don't get the patience from me of seeking them out for a 'good' night as was suggested ... they go on national TV and kill it or they are going to look overrated for some time to come. I'm old, I know a lot of music for a lot of decades, and that's my take. I had no idea they were popular or lauded when I saw SNL ... I was actually thinking, "how the **** did this band get on TV?" As the music was so bad all I could do was look ... and see interracial and geeky, so a new part to the narrative? I make a living finding things to like about music, and am very supportive and forgiving generally. How many bands have you ever seen locally and written off after one bad song, or certainly a couple of songs? Most of them I'd wager ... BUT they were not lauded by the US coastal press, and on SNL were they? Double standards apply then once the press coronation gets to people's subconscious "Seek out the good nights" **** that ... deliver the goods. I need to seek out this band being good live if they are so good in the first place? Maybe they are a studio band that does not hold that up live or offer something as powerful in exchange except to the apologists?

My opinion here is not mostly about TVOTR, yet I know it seems that way. I wish them all the best. It's a commentary that live playing of instruments is not valued critically in this era, so it's not required. Some will like the idea of a band from the records, well presented live or not. Fine by me. It's great to love a band. So I'm not saying TVOTR isn't "cool" to you or to Bowie or to anyone. Obviously they are very cool. But the best band of a year in two major mags? And what is "cool" here exactly? It's the new thing in a long narrative that has a lineage and guidelines in rock music journalism, and is competitive. As a friend quipped, "if they had an Indian woman they'd be ever cooler!". A joke, but makes the point about the progressing narrative that is more about the idea than the sounds. Being "important" is better than being "good" and import is the progression of the narrative. Since the late 60s there has been this thread of rock narrative. That's 100% fine with me, I'm just one person, and that's the reality of the music culture I live in. Cool is part of the ongoing narrative and we all are prone to buy into it, or asked to accept it from the media and thus peers, or we act against it. But it's there. We want to be as much a part of the next cool thing as the writers who want to write about it, furthering their professional and personal power. Everyone has an interest in who buys into the next "cool" no matter the size of the world they call home.

But to be the "best band of 2006" or whatever they were ... and you are a studio project that sucks live in the clips I've seen? That's not cutting it to my old pale guy standards. Certainly they're not a punk band, that's insulting to punk, point made there I hope. If you're a former suburban art student and career musician of 41 and have listened to as much music as you can listen to over a 60-year period of recorded music history without bias for the current day narrative and without a need to be part of the latest definition of cool as we know an artist like Bowie and the critics are prone to be ... then what do you have here with TVOTR? Some interesting, as in thrown together stuff, that still falls WAY short of Radiohead or Bowie, or Byrne, or a lot of music that was never given this much praise on 4AD in the early days. Critics want to keep themselves important and to do that they need a coronation of the next big thing in the narrative, as often as they can find it. If this is the American Radiohead or similar then we're way behind! If you think this is as "cool" as Byrne or TH in the 80s you are inexperienced. If this is even as fresh as was Television, or Buckley, or other artists that broke in NYC, then you're too young to have heard very much music at all from the East Coast.

As for SNL ... Like or dislike a band like say Radiohead, they can play, write, arrange and perform live at a very high level. Would they go on SNL and suck? No. Did Beyonce? No. Coldplay? No. OTOH did a lot of overrated people go on SNL and suck? Yes. Is there a tradition of SNL's poor monitors outting the overrrated? Yes there is. So there is ALSO an unwritten but verbal narrative to that side of the story ... and that's the side that makes sense to me as a music lover and follower of the trends. It's my view that what I saw in two painful songs and some You Tube clips is an insight into the era, not an rare off night.

My posts are not down on anyone's likes or trying to prove my own. I'm talking a little wider then "like" and "dislike". I simply see the age old narrative headed in a certain way with this group, and am communicating that perspective as an old pale music lover who is not taken in by the cultural/media narrative about next big thing. If I come to feel like a fool for having these ideas, or sharing them, I'll be here with bells on and retract.

But they were so terrible live, and later I find they are so lauded?? Even with what I know of how the narrative plays out, it was a shock.

out (very 90s, but ...)
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But they were so terrible live, and later I find they are so lauded?? Even with what I know of how the narrative plays out, it was a shock.

(very 90s, but ...)
wow. i wonder if you would like if people would have such brash judgements of your mastering work.
Gear Guru

Quote:
wow. i wonder if you would like if people would have such brash judgements of your mastering work.
"Brash judgments" ... "I wonder if you would like it if " ... so let me guess ... you're under 25? Wouldn't want to be critical would we?

I hope that if I suck they would say so ... and I hope they would tell me stright up so I could learn from them. If the band is reading this and is sincere about growing maybe they can get their **** together o stage and live up to the press hype. They could play live much better, there is no doubt to that. Everyone can improve. An artist is a warrior, not a little flower.

oh Damn ... posted again!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
"Brash judgments" ... "I wonder if you would like it if " ... so let me guess ... you're under 25? Wouldn't want to be critical would we?

An artist is a warrior, not a little flower.
My point was - you are throwing out a lot of venom onto a band that you seem know very little about. It makes me think of a freshman art student who sees modern art as just paint thrown on a canvas.

TVOTR are not my favorite band by any stretch, but they have dazzled me on record and make my jaw drop live. I've seen hundreds (probably thousands) of proficient, grooving musicians that couldn't match their intensity and creativity. I'm 43 and my eyes and ears are still open to new sounds and ideas.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Brian,

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your comments. I don't see much venom. Obviously we disagree on some points but I appreciate your sound arguments and wish more people had a head on their shoulders like you do.

**** man, we might even know each other. I played drums in Cols for about 25 years and went to Ft Hayes, Capitol and OSU. I played in Delaware a bunch at some blues bar (across from a movie theater "downtown") and a few summer time festivals. Played with Apocalypso, Brasileira, Delicious (later called Kopaz), Happy (just a few times), The Afro-Rican Ensemble, Kelly Delavaris, Maggie Green, Jen Miller, Vaughn Weister, anybody that would have me at Comm Fest, blah blah. God, I love comm fest.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor ➡️
Bloody awful band. Can't sing, play nor write. All papered over with production bollox. I guess they are like MGMT then!! Hell guess it also makes 'em just like Britney/Nickelback/Rihanna/Ting Tings/Coldplay/Everyone else on the charts at the moment too!
godbless MGMT at least for their song Electric Feel, make a song in triple feel like duple. Clever phrasing. Love that.
YouTube - MGMT - ELECTRIC FEEL - LIVE ON ABBEY ROAD
YouTube - MGMT - Electric Feel (live)

Deliver good live performances... Can't just be studio trickery. You have head in butt.

Like Katey Perry's cover too. Anything with vibes is cool by definition.
Gear Guru

drumzeaot ... now those are some good live artists! So you do understand my position, it's a critics thing, this kind of "band" .... but living in a city of so many great players in all genres, it's rather insulting to call this the best band of any calendar year nationally.

Quote:
My point was - you are throwing out a lot of venom onto a band that you seem know very little about. It makes me think of a freshman art student who sees modern art as just paint thrown on a canvas.

TVOTR are not my favorite band by any stretch, but they have dazzled me on record and make my jaw drop live. I've seen hundreds (probably thousands) of proficient, grooving musicians that couldn't match their intensity and creativity. I'm 43 and my eyes and ears are still open to new sounds and ideas.
I don't think it's venom at all. I would like to see more than "o-ver a-ted". And of course, I'm happy you're getting a lot out of them! That's what it's all about.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot ➡️
godbless MGMT at least for their song Electric Feel, make a song in triple feel like duple. Clever phrasing. Love that.

Deliver good live performances... Can't just be studio trickery. You have head in butt.
Ok, ok, you're right, they're nowhere near as bad as TVOTR live. The guys can sing and play a little bit. Thing is there's zero chemistry or viscerality in their live performance so what's the friggin' point?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, that is actually really cool. I was listening to it, and I kept found my self counting it 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 7.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
drumzeaot ... now those are some good live artists! So you do understand my position, it's a critics thing, this kind of "band" .... but living in a city of so many great players in all genres, it's rather insulting to call this the best band of any calendar year nationally.

I don't think it's venom at all. I would like to see more than "o-ver a-ted". And of course, I'm happy you're getting a lot out of them! That's what it's all about.

You know for its size, Columbus is extremely hip. At one point I was playing is a steel drum band, a mostly-originals rock band, a bossa nova band, a brazilian percussion group, had my own jazz group, a Jewish wedding band (oh the money was good but it was HARD work), a group that mixed Indian music with electronica, a blues band, a 12-piece big band, got regular calls from two amazing female jazz singers, and did few recording sessions a month. All paid. Columbus has a great music scene. I'm coming back in April to play drums in a burlesque show with The Oh-La-Las. Fun! How often do you get paid to play a burlesque show in a steel drum band that plays rock?!?!?
Apocalypso on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
You know for its size, Columbus is extremely hip. At one point I was playing is a steel drum band, a mostly-originals rock band, a bossa nova band, a brazilian percussion group, had my own jazz group, a Jewish wedding band (oh the money was good but it was HARD work), a group that mixed Indian music with electronica, a blues band, a 12-piece big band, got regular calls from two amazing female jazz singers, and did few recording sessions a month. All paid. Columbus has a great music scene. I'm coming back in April to play drums in a burlesque show with The Oh-La-Las. Fun! How often do you get paid to play a burlesque show?!?!?
shhhhh.... it's a secret.
Old 15th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To the original question:

Their CD is cool.
What’s great is that they were nice enough to serenade you on SNL for free so you can be spared the horror of buying a ticket to a show that sucks.

Recorded music and live music are two distinctly different art forms. It is nice when one translates well to the other, but bad live shows do not discount the value of good recorded music.
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Saw them on Jules Holland last night.

They are not to my tastes, for sure.

Some might even be as rude to suggest that they are complete garbage.
That is what some people might say.

Not me though.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcroisdale ➡️
Saw them on Jules Holland last night.

They are not to my tastes, for sure.

Some might even be as rude to suggest that they are complete garbage.
That is what some people might say.

Not me though.
Oh no, they're not garbage. They're a geeky studio band.

The issue was that press here set the expectation level very high with the "best of" praise and some of us were shocked to know that was the case. When I saw them on SNL TV I didn't know their history and really thought someone has made a mistake in booking them at all. They seemed to have nothing going for them, as in nothing. (and it's my business to find redeeming qualities in all styles of music!) They now blame bad monitors.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All joking aside, bad monitor setup can be pretty awful.

I've had it happen once or twice and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcroisdale ➡️
All joking aside, bad monitor setup can be pretty awful.

I've had it happen once or twice and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Absolutely. Yet why not get it in sound check?

It's just ironic to me that MANY people who were considered questionable live have crashed and burned on SNL over the years, and it's always "bad monitors". Then the people who are known as good live performers nail it.

I can't explain that, but find it interesting.
Old 29th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
It is true that TVOTR tend to perform live in a more reckless "punk" way than the studio records, which are considered and very carefully arranged/textured.

I think they (rightly? wrongly? everyone has a different perspective on this) assess that live performance is more about conveying energy and drama and impact than musical precision. Ideally one doesn't come at the expense of the other, but sometimes there is a trade-off.

TVOTR appeals to the same part of your heart that responds to the weirder corners of David Bowie's work. There are a lot of parallels, the hallucinatory drugginess, the sexiness, the intimations of debauchery, the fixation on being strikingly modern. The obsession with being relentlessly stylish and cool. I'm not talking about "Heroes" or "Let's Dance" or the famous radio singles, but the more avant-garde, weirdo, "difficult" stuff you find on the "Low" and "Lodger" records. And even (and maybe especially) the self-consciously "futuristic" stuff like "Black Tie White Noise" and "Earthling."

It's no surprise that Bowie himself has taken such a liking to TVOTR. He seems to have all but adopted them and become an unofficial advisor.

Taste is subjective and it's a weird position to be "lobbying" for the legitimacy of a band's music on the internet. I can't make you respect them, Lucey, but I do humbly and excitedly suggest that you check out the early Touch & Go recordings (which are rougher and more modest, but more pronouncedly eccentric) and then move through the sour apocalyptic vistas of "...Cookie Mountain" and onto the sweet sophistication of "Dear Science."

- c
i took your advice and checked their last 2 records on spotify. i know (and was underwhelmed by) the first album (apart from track 1 which is awesome). IMO most of the melodies i'm hearing are one dimensional and the production isn't very 'avant' or 'difficult' or 'weird' at all, just kind of boring. sorry silver, i'm not getting 'apocalyptic vistas' at all - do you work for interscope?

the disconnect is how 'great' i'm being told their music is and how i hear it which is a bit meh :/

Quote:
They're smart people, those guys.
yes they certainly are
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…