Last night's Grammies - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Last night's Grammies
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Last night's Grammies

I watched most of the Grammies last night and was mostly appalled by the performances. The theme seemed to be "pair people up in such a way to make one artist look good and one artist look awful" examples of which are...

Justin Timberlake has an annoying squeaky boy band voice on his best day so let's team him up with Al Green who has one of the most pleasing and soulful voices around.

Miley Cyrus has an annoying grating voice on her best day so let's team her up with Taylor Swift who has a lovely, sometimes Suzanne Vega-esque voice especially for a nineteen year old.

The Jonas Brothers are a bunch hyperactive Disney muppets so let's team them up with one of the all time greats, Stevie Wonder.

While no lover of Coldplay, they usually do a decent job of a performance but let's get Kanye West to shout over it just to ensure noboby enjoys it.

Th ensemble rap piece was a mess and even Katy Perry was weak and you wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with "I kissed a girl".

Dave Grohl seemed to enjoy himself.

I never thought I'd say this but bring back Prince and Beyoncé.
Old 9th February 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Tiny Circus ➡️
Th ensemble rap piece was a mess and even Katy Perry was weak and you wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with "I kissed a girl".

that track is ALL mix and NO song..... so that may explain it.....
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Too optimistic, imho. Prince is far beyond the standards of these Grammys.
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
that track is ALL mix and NO song..... so that may explain it.....
A bit harsh...I would describe it as "catchy".

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A bit harsh...I would describe it as "catchy".

p'raps... but that's how I feel about it

Catchy is ten a penny.....
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... Taylor Swift who has a lovely, sometimes Suzanne Vega-esque voice especially for a nineteen year old.

Oh the opinions people have. Taylor Swift, lovely voice? Hesitant about Prince?
I’m not defending the performances at the Grammies, but geez. To each his own I guess.
I’ve seen Taylor Swift performances that left me wondering how they ever got usable tracks from her.
https://gearspace.com/board/moan-zon...swift-snl.html
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 ➡️
..and probably the last time that one of these Grammy double acts resulted in both artists looking like they knew what they were doing...
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot ➡️
Oh the opinions people have. Taylor Swift, lovely voice? Hesitant about Prince?
I’m not defending the performances at the Grammies, but geez. To each his own I guess.
I’ve seen Taylor Swift performances that left me wondering how they ever got usable tracks from her.
https://gearspace.com/board/moan-zon...swift-snl.html
Sorry but I was, upon re-reading, clearly unclear...

I'm not at all hesitant about Prince, just the pairing as I wouldn't put Beyoncé in the same league as Prince although she's also very good at what she does.

I have to admit that this is the only time I've seen or heard Taylor Swift (or indeed, of her) and this particular performance seemed OK so my sample was small (1) and there was no control (although comparison to Miley Cyrus might have made her seem better than she actually is) so I bow to you as GearSlutz's Taylor Swift expert. I shall investigate further.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I watched most of the Grammies last night and was mostly appalled by the performances. The theme seemed to be "pair people up in such a way to make one artist look good and one artist look awful" examples of which are...

Justin Timberlake has an annoying squeaky boy band voice on his best day so let's team him up with Al Green who has one of the most pleasing and soulful voices around.

Miley Cyrus has an annoying grating voice on her best day so let's team her up with Taylor Swift who has a lovely, sometimes Suzanne Vega-esque voice especially for a nineteen year old.

The Jonas Brothers are a bunch hyperactive Disney muppets so let's team them up with one of the all time greats, Stevie Wonder.

While no lover of Coldplay, they usually do a decent job of a performance but let's get Kanye West to shout over it just to ensure noboby enjoys it.

Dave Grohl seemed to enjoy himself.

I was actually very impressed with JT's performances. He totally held his own, even next to Al Green. Dude's a great singer but I think pairing him up with Al Green was just a way to act like they were giving Al Green his dues while getting people who don't know who Al Green is or care (majority of the viewing audience) to pay attention solely from JT being in it. Same thing, I think, as the Motown dealy where they threw in Jamie Foxx and Neo. As much of an attention ***** as he is, Jamie Foxx did wonderfully. Neo's voice seemed to be too smooth and soft to really hang with the other three, but he still did well nonetheless.

Miley Cyrus would be an alright singer if she didn't change the timbre of her voice every line in the most annoying ways possible, and Taylor Swift would probably be pretty good as well if she could hold a note in tune. And the song they sung about being a freshman in high school would have been better in a made-for-TV Disney Channel movie than any kind of ceremony that at least pretends to be a professional acknowledgement of accomplishments in the music industry (even though it's really just all the payola bankrollers broadcasting themselves giving each other gigantic pats on the back)

Ditto on the Jonas Brothers/Stevie Wonder pairing. Embarassing. It exposed the Jonas Brothers for the Disney bought-and-sold teenyboppers they are.

Coldplay has made a career out of plagiarizing U2 and Radiohead, and the fact that the music and melody from the song "Viva La Vida" was so blatantly stolen from Joe Satriani make Coldplay even more unworthy of the collective fellating they got out of the entire Grammy ceremony (and did anyone catch the shameless promo-disguised-as-report for them at the end of 60 Minutes right before the Grammys?). All that said, Kanye stomping his undeserved ego all over the place made me wish Coldplay would just play by themselves. It was more than a little awkward having the guy from Coldplay doing the singer-piano thing and then all of the sudden having Kanye come and start incoherently rapping about Biggie and Pac for whatever reason. Coldplay looked like The Beatles compared to Kanye.

Katy Perry's performance itself wasn't incredible... but I gotta say it was pretty damn hot! Kind of a slutty Carmen Miranda.

And I love how Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters just played backing band and showed respect for McCartney by not trying to be the center of attention. That said, McCartney's voice is definitely showing its age.

My huge beef with the entire ceremony is the there was one award broadcast given between commercial breaks and the rest of it were extravagant but still awkward old-meets-new performance pairings. The whole thing is a circus.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry but I was, upon re-reading, clearly unclear...

I'm not at all hesitant about Prince, just the pairing as I wouldn't put Beyoncé in the same league as Prince although she's also very good at what she does.

I have to admit that this is the only time I've seen or heard Taylor Swift (or indeed, of her) and this particular performance seemed OK so my sample was small (1) and there was no control (although comparison to Miley Cyrus might have made her seem better than she actually is) so I bow to you as GearSlutz's Taylor Swift expert. I shall investigate further.
Finally! Someone who acknowledges me for who I am, GearSlutz's Taylor Swift expert. I badge I wear proudly. I have arrived and may go to my grave happy and fulfilled.

I wonder if they paired Prince with Beyoncé because Prince used to sweat her big time and always had a very high opinion of her singing. It was likely his idea.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Seems like all the performances got more and more ridiculous as the night went on.

"And now, please welcome Tim McGraw, T.I., Jennifer Hudson, and Lil' Wayne, with The Jonas Brothers, The USC Marching Band, The Guantanamo Glee Club, and the BYU Women's Pygmy Choir"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These things are worthless, the acts appear to be chosen (and voted) by schoolkids. Pure crap dfegad

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute ➡️
These things are worthless, the acts appear to be chosen (and voted) by schoolkids. Pure crap dfegad
correction - record company freeloaders....

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Tire ➡️
Seems like all the performances got more and more ridiculous as the night went on.

"And now, please welcome Tim McGraw, T.I., Jennifer Hudson, and Lil' Wayne, with The Jonas Brothers, The USC Marching Band, The Guantanamo Glee Club, and the BYU Women's Pygmy Choir"
..now THAT's the best hard rock album i've never heard........
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
On a side note...................

BLINK-182 IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Duffy.

What a load of ****.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker ➡️
On a side note...................

BLINK-182 IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you are happy. The audience's reaction, on the other hand, was a bit cold. You could almost hear the heads scratching, mixed with the muted applause:

"Blink one-eighty-who?"
"You guys had broken up? We had no idea!"

Pop-quiz: Out of all the fine "live" Grammy 2009 performances we enjoyed last night, which ones were "semi-real" (at least one live mic) and which ones were 100% lip-synced, no-sound-out-of-the-live-band-at-all affairs? I lost count.

Cheers,
++aldo
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The girl singer in Sugarland stole the whole night. Put every other vocal performance to shame. And I'm not even a country fan!

And what's with Neil Diamond sounding like a belching frog?!?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca ➡️
I'm glad you are happy. The audience's reaction, on the other hand, was a bit cold. You could almost hear the heads scratching, mixed with the muted applause:

"Blink one-eighty-who?"
"You guys had broken up? We had no idea!"

Pop-quiz: Out of all the fine "live" Grammy 2009 performances we enjoyed last night, which ones were "semi-real" (at least one live mic) and which ones were 100% lip-synced, no-sound-out-of-the-live-band-at-all affairs? I lost count.

Cheers,
++aldo
The whole Blink 182 thing seemed really forced.
"Yeah, uh, we're, like, Blink 182 and we're, uh, back together, and stuff. Yeah."

M.I.A. totally lip-synched but she was also vey very pregnant. Then again, she barely sings to begin with. All the fake live band stuff doesn't surprise me; they do that with late-night talk shows all the time.

Quote:
The girl singer in Sugarland stole the whole night.
Oh yeah. Only heard their name in passing before last night but I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. Jennifer Hudson was great too. You could definitely tell she wasn't lip-synching either because she nearly lost it in tears at the end of her performance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought it was cool because the live performances totally showed the difference between talented singers and "studio processed" singers who cant really sing for sh!t.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought the whole show was...

dfegad CRAP!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What are the Grammies?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of odd pairings, I thought that it was actually a great idea to pair the Jonas' Brothers with Stevie Wonder. Yesterday, an entire continent worth of young girls heard Stevie playing and singing Superstition live on stage. (It really didn't matter what the rest of the band was playing, did it?)

I was wondering if the Hohner Clavi on stage was just a prop until he started banging on it....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 ➡️

there is a solo acoustic version of prince live at the apollo/BET...that is single handedly one of THE BEST live performances ever recorded...

i wish i could find a copy of that ANYWHERE...

he is just RIDICULOUS live...playing, singing, rhythm, performance, and on and on...

freeking god...

and yeah, comparing any standard bozo to him is unfair...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i cant believe you guys actually watched it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This year's awards ceremony helped me realize that getting a DVR was a wise choice indeed.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DVR love

DVRs are great especially for shows like the Grammies with maybe 5% you might like to watch also you can keep a whole series of something that you haven't got time to watch and then delete it all in one go because you haven't had time to watch it. A great time-saver !
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
these shows are a joke....and not a "haha" kind of joke. but for me this is nothing new.

oh and please correct me if im wrong but didnt justin have to fill in because chris brown beat up his chick? i think soeone told me that but i dont know for sure.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It was supposed to be Chris Brown performing with Al Green but since he was in police custody he never made it.

Justin Timblerlake did a good job I think, especially since he was a last second substitute.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…