Quantcast
WTF?!? UPS doesn't even knock anymore? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WTF?!? UPS doesn't even knock anymore?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WTF?!? UPS doesn't even knock anymore?

So I ordered a shirt online. Not a piece of gear or anything, just a shirt. I'm sitting on the couch, and my dog starts with the snorting thing she does when there's activity outside. I hear a rustle outside the door. Then... nothing. So I go to the door, look through the peephole, and I see the UPS truck driving away. Open the door, there's my package. Just left for anyone to have.

I was sitting right here! No knock, nothing.

Good thing it wasn't a microphone or something.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is why I have a package spot that collects all my packages.
I live in Brooklyn NY & from time to time (when the package is not sent to my package spot) UPS will leave expensive things right on the doorstep of my building. tutt

UPS would have to pay if it was stolen, but come on you tarts! Get it together.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Phone UPS and complain...
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The shipper has to specifically request and pay for delivery confirmation and a signature. If they don't ask for it, why should UPS waste the time? All told, it's about $2-3 per package, which is not a big deal if you're shipping expensive stuff, but if you're selling low-priced, high-volume stuff like t-shirts, that represents a significant percentage of your revenue and can likely be cost-prohibitive.

Bitch at the shipper for not requiring delivery confirmation and a signature.

-Dan.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar ➑️
The shipper has to specifically request and pay for delivery confirmation and a signature. If they don't ask for it, why should UPS waste the time? All told, it's about $2-3 per package, which is not a big deal if you're shipping expensive stuff, but if you're selling low-priced, high-volume stuff like t-shirts, that represents a significant percentage of your revenue and can likely be cost-prohibitive.

Bitch at the shipper for not requiring delivery confirmation and a signature.

-Dan.
No, bitch at the seller that you never recieved the item. Have them either ship another item or deny the charges of your credit card.

Either way YOU WIN !!

WT
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
They did that to me with a PS3 my gf ordered for my birthday. I stayed home that day waiting for it, they come up 3 flights of stairs and don't even knock.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Can't remember if it was UPS, but a couple of months ago a delivery to my house was made by a subcontractor (a local taxi firm) who put a note through the door saying my package had been left at a number which doesn't exist on my street. It had, as it turned out, been left next door (which has its number by the door). of course, when I phoned the taxi firm, they didn't have a clue and couldn't contact the taxi driver.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DHL are the same. You're lucky if they leave any sort of record of their attempted delivery.

Twice now I've been expecting something and it hasn't arrived so I've called up and they've said "oh we tried to deliver it however many times." Rubbish. And then of course I can't go and pick it up because I don't have a slip with the parcel number. I'm not at all bitter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I try NEVER to use UPS.

I bought an Alesis HD24XR last year and it was completely non-functional on arrival. As it turned out, it had gotten so bounced around that the input daughter board had gotten completely unseated from the main board. I reset that and it was fine. However, one of the rack ears was also bent to about a 120 degree angle, and it was tempered aluminum or some such. A local friend who does instrument repair pounded it back into shape on an anvil with a huge mallet.

ANYWAY, dfegadUPS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm ➑️
No, bitch at the seller that you never recieved the item. Have them either ship another item or deny the charges of your credit card.

Either way YOU WIN !!

WT
dfegad on you thief!!!!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm always freaked out how easy it is for someone to follow the UPS truck around the neighborhood just waiting for them to stop, drop and roll. Then the thief swoops in and in a matter of seconds they're off with my stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge ➑️
dfegad on you thief!!!!!!
Say what ?

WT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ups are ****s. all courier companies are pretty much equally as ****, though.

most of the time i'm waiting all day for a package, they don't just leave it outside the door. they just post a note saying they came but found no one home (ring the bell... or knock? you ******s?) - or they don't leave anything - they never turned up and i have to call them and listen to this bull****. all when i took a day off work waiting for the ****ing thing. cheers.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My neighbor had a central mail drop put in for our cul-de-sac. It has two package boxes, but neither of them is big enough for standard rack gear. USPS never come to my door, they just leave the note that delivery was attempted (although not really), and I have to call to pick up or they will attempt to redeliver (AKA leave another note). I end up having to drive to the post office to pick up any "larger" gear that is sent USPS every time. Is the 30 ft walk and a knock too much to ask for? As it is the postal carriers only have to stop at one spot for our entire street. We made it easy on them, at least give me an effort to deliver my packages.

My regular UPS guy is great, waits for the music to stop and then knocks. When I was telling him thanks, he said he liked to enjoy the couple cool stops that he regularly made so the job didn't get too monotonous. I was glad to make his "cool" list, as from what you guys are saying it is a rarity indeed to get this type of service from them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
just today (well, yesterday and today [it's 4am now]) i learned about this new "no knock, just drop" policy. at 1 AM i just happened upon the hard drive ups has kindly left at my doorstep. i checked the tracking page on their site and it'd been there for about 9 hours.

i wasn't even expecting it. best buy had only sent the shipping notification the day before, claiming it would be at maximum 9 days to be received.

while on one hand it's nice that it came earlier than expected, it sitting out there for nearly half a day in in the middle of winter and being open to thievery because it was too difficult to stand there for few and wait for someone...

christ.

that's just 1 out of 4 packages i'm expecting from best buy (with whom i haven't been too thrilled with increasing intensity before, during, and now after our unholy transaction). strangely, these four packages are coming to me by 3 different postal companies. ups, usps and xmex. whatever the hell xmex is...

if i remember correctly, tomorrow is xmex day so we'll see if this isn't somesort of front organization set up by best buy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At my house we use the back door cuz thats where the drive way is....I walked out the front door 2 day's ago and noticed a box laying WAY away from the door all covered in snow...the post date said it was mailed 2 weeks earlyer...pissed me off man...no knock..did not even push the door bell...good thing it was just a limiter..but it still makes me mad...I was starting to think it never got shipped!!

If I was not looking for it i WOULD HAVE NEVER SEEN IT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
UPS would have to pay if it was stolen, but come on you tarts!
That's not necessarily true...if the shipper didn't specify that a signature be required, then it would be their fault. I once came home to a bright and shiny white Vox box sitting on my doorstep, which is in plain view from the street halfway up and down the block...kinda scary. I did call UPS and had them make a signature mandatory for deliveries to my address, even if the shipper doesn't specify that, just so I don't have to deal with the hassle if something does go wrong.

On a side note, I have seen a UPS driver run up to a doorstep, literally crouch down like he was in starting blocks, put the package down, ring the doorbell and run. It sounds like now they've streamlined the process even further...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm ➑️
Say what ?

WT
Your comment was promoting stealing.

Back on topic, yeah, UPS is a drag like that. When I know a package is coming, I always leave a note on the door explaining to please ring the doorbell because I'm downstairs, which they usually don't.

I only know they've come because the dog barks. It only takes me seconds to get to the door and they are usually already back in the truck by the time I open the door. As mentioned before, it's like they are running a freakin marathon, feet on the blocks ready to run as soon as the package is dropped.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo ➑️
Your comment was promoting stealing.
Well, whatever........

DonΒ΄t ship to me without requiring a signature then.

WT
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
UPS does that here in L.A., too. They knock 1/2 the time.

I've had Digi 192 i/o's sitting out on my porch for hours, with me sitting downstairs oblivious.

Greg

Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
unless things have changed since i worked there a long ass time ago, the drivers are on a kinda quota system, depending on the route, they have to delivery X amount of packages or they get written up, BUT over that amount they get a bonus, so now you know why they dont hangout & talk or even wait to ring a door bell, they bust ass and dont stop to make more money, i remember some of those drivers making a very nice living with the bonus.

if its that important have it SIGNED for then they have to stop n knock, but be home.

and dont even ask me how your expensive gear is handled once its unloaded off a truck in the warehouse ...hahaha..

louie
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlouie ➑️
and dont even ask me how your expensive gear is handled once its unloaded off a truck in the warehouse ...hahaha..

Heard that! I also spent time loading and unloading trucks at UPS years ago. That's why I ALWAYS get insurance and make sure that stuff is packed REAL good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've caught drivers sticking the yellow "you are not home" note to my door and not even bothering to take the packages out of the truck. I called their supervisors and they delivered on their own time and were not very happy about the @ss chewing they recieved. Lazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not to hi-jack, but just another UPS moan... have to let it out.

In November, I shipped a ~$2500 stage piano in a very robust, ATA (etc...) flight case with them (thinking it would be MUCH safer than flying with it). I took it to the UPS store, and they recommended I just ship it in the flight case, but pay for insurance on both and pay for "only move this product with human hands" treatment.

Ended up being fairly expensive, but totally worth it, right??

Nope - the case arrived at the destination absolutely obliterated (luckily keyboard was OK for the gig). They had broken off 5 of the ball corners, broken through the plastic-covered plywood, apparently opened and subsequently broken off one of the recessed latches, badly bent a recessed handle, torn through the outer (hard plastic) shell in a few places, and bent the entirety of the case at an odd angle. How you do this without dropping it out of an airplane and landing on a grenade baffles me still.

Took pictures immediately, called immediately, documented everything, made a claim... Not only have they had my stuff since mid-November for "reviewing purposes", but called me today to tell me "up yours, protecting the case wasn't our problem (even though we let you pay to insure it....)"

Bunch of a-holes (although the store manager was nice). Won't ship anything with them again, ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UPS once left a $17,000 check stuck in my outside door at 7:15pm after I was in for the evening at 5pm. didnt see it til I left out next day at 11am.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. UPS doesn't knock where I am either unless it's signature required. Sometimes they just throw the package from the sidewalk to my porch (seen them do it). ALWAYS ask for signature required if it's valuable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlouie ➑️
I had friends, back in college, who worked in the warehouse in Milwaukee. I remember they had a very very special treatment for any package marked "Fragile."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would rather stick a pencil in my eye, than do ANY kind of business with You Pee Esss
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcok ➑️
Not only have they had my stuff since mid-November for "reviewing purposes", but called me today to tell me "up yours, protecting the case wasn't our problem (even though we let you pay to insure it....)"

Bunch of a-holes (although the store manager was nice). Won't ship anything with them again, ever.
I had similar experience with their claims agency after they mistakenly delivered my $1,500 set of car tires a to the CostCo down the street. They claimed it was delivered to my address, when in fact they were sitting on the CostCo loading dock. ******-bag drivers...

Greg

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We get weird **** from our postmen in the UK too. I'm sure they hang around watching the house waiting til you go out, then stick a "you were out when we tried to deliver" note through the letter box. Cvnts dfegad
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…