Quantcast
Genesis Trick Of The Tail-remastered iTunes Crap - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genesis Trick Of The Tail-remastered iTunes Crap
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thumbs down Genesis Trick Of The Tail-remastered iTunes Crap

Yeah, I know. I should expect this but I was naive. Trick of the Tail is hands down my favorite record of all time and I saw "remastered"...hey gotta be good right?..It's Genesis.

WRONG

Over blown, over processed, clipping, there are even times when Phil hits it hard and the level drops from over compression. Mad Man Moon, Entangled, had such dynamics..now it's all one level and sterile. And the worst is Dance On A Volcano. On the CD at 2:30 when it builds into a high energy part you hear Steve Hackett running the pick down the strings panned from right to left and it hits into a majestic crescendo. "On your left and on your right!!" Well, on the "remastered" version the guitar is barley audible at all out of the left channel only and you hear freaking everything blow up with distortion when the band hits the big downbeat. I was like...what??? Maybe it's mastered for computer speakers or something and when I play in on the Dyns all the crappiness is reveled. Or maybe it was "remastered" by a part timer. Hey, I'm no ME.....I could have just run it through the ML4000 with better results. I know I know...I should expect this.

I just can't explain how bad it is and how disappointed I am. I reimported from cd...guess it's 10 bucks waisted. Only good thing was the 15 minute video with the band talking about making the album. Guess I just paid 10 bucks for that. Oh....but it's DRM FREE....YAY

Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
too bad... i have it on vinyl (japanese edition) and it sounds absolutely great... the original master that is...

and i always liked that steve hackett "on your left and on your right" guitar part... wow!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Uggg...That's disappointing...I think "Trick" is a fantastic and highly underrated record. I have the orig vinyl also and it sounds killer.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dunno what's going on with remastering at all, I've a few albums that clip, or have just had the drums enhanced to meet todays needs. WTF?
I heard a track off ZZ Top's greatest hits album and some ME had added reverb to it. Talk about ****ing something up. What's going on? There's also a nasty trend of adding extra tracks onto the CD but they turn out to be around 2 minutes each. I heard The Minstrel in the Gallery (live) the other day and it was 2 minutes long. No way, the intro is nearly 4 minutes. The industry are taking the piss. Check an album before you buy basically. I'm sick of this **** dfegad
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Remastered Genesis album is (still) crap?!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had the same experience with a Moody Blues remaster. It sounded like they gave it to the janitor instead of the engineer for the remaster.

Don't people realize that one reason that those older prog-style records sounded so great was because those bands actually played with DYNAMICS???

Note to those who remaster: loudness does not equal good...
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's a shame. The remastered version of the "Invisible Touch" album is AWESOME!!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This is weird, considering that Mike and Tony supposedly oversaw the remastering. Any possibility that you got a counterfeit?
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have those remasters and while I'm not getting rid of my original copies, the remaster was really a remix from the original analogue tapes for 5.1 surround. That is the best way to hear these new mixes. They did a stereo version of course but they could not duplicate every nuance of the original mixes. I found the biggest difference was the drums and vocals being more up front and the mellotrons buried. If you got back to the original mixes, the keys dominate and the drums sounded anemic at times. Different strokes for different folks.

Trick sounded great before the reissue. Wind and Wuthering and Then There Were Three on the other hand, benefited hugely from the remix. I almost enjoy listening to them now.

If it sucks, go back to vinyl. That is the master document in most cases
Old 17th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
now that all albums are out, the difference between them is day and night. I heared all albums on sacd, stereo versions (and some on surround too).
The first boxset (trick till abacab) was one of the worst things put out. Too over compressed and a lot of harshness. The only benefit we have is hearing more sounds now (as details are put up higher in the mix).

I think that We can't dance sounds fantastic, Invisible Touch too but some of the delays are set too wet.

As the older albums are concerned, I think they are worth having. The lamb sounds pretty good (but Gabriel himself worked on this one at real world studios), selling has some moments too, foxtrot has a nice top end and more clear lows, nursery crime has drums sounding like drums (instead of cardboard) but they are over compressed.

Overal conclusion; it's weak but it gave them the opportunity to play and tour again… That alone is worth it…
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…