Quantcast
Dull guitar sound when using recording through guitar rig/amplitube - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dull guitar sound when using recording through guitar rig/amplitube
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Dull guitar sound when using recording through guitar rig/amplitube

hey

the current gear im using to record guitar is an epiphone G400 into an Edirol M-16 digital mixer/ usb audio interface i am using logic 8 and the guitar rig and amplitube plugins

when i record the guitar I am noticing that it is lacking high end and is sounding very dull and muddy should i be running the guitar through a DI box before the mixer and will this solve the problem

thanks
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Believe it or not I use a compressor pedal and get great results for heavy guitars. Also, download the free waves stuff. Its far better than the 2 you have.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Any of the modern amp modelers can be used with good results. It comes down to learning how to work with them most effectively. The biggest differences between them are workflow differences, which are basically questions of whether the program "thinks" like you do. The program which you find most intuitive will likely be the program which gives you the greatest success.

If you're looking for modelers that have a brighter sound by default, then I would check out TH1's Overloud, Studio Devil's Virtual Guitar Amp, and Waves GTR. They have more presence in their "initial" condition than the others, which might make up for some of the dullness you're getting. However, I have never had any problem getting a good, usable tone out of any of them - but then again I work with them every day, and it is a learned skill. And to be fair the initial brightness may not always translate to full accuracy, it's just a characteristic of the programs. Learn them deeply and you will be able to use them effectively, regardless of which you choose.

What version of Guitar Rig and Amplitube are you using?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
im using Amplitube 2 and guitar rig 2. also can strings that havn't been changed in a while effect the recording in that way

thanks for your help
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yes old strings will affect brightness and detail on a guitar track. anybody who plays guitar knows this. also if your guitar is a lowend muddy mess with cheapo pickups that will keep you from getting good detail.

have you thought about eq?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I heard the sound clip in your other thread. It sounded ok to me.

I never liked humbuckers for recording, but I've only ever had cheap humbuckers.

New strings, a high-pass/low cut, and maybe better pickups will help. You could also try taking the covers off the humbuckers if you want a more present sound.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
According to this product page

EDIROL M-16DX 24-bit/96kHz 16-Channel Digital Mixer :: Specifications

You should be using high impedance line inputs 1-2 on the I/O module for this job.
Old 2nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Get a badass DI and you'll be closer.

I'm running my american deluxe strat through my avalon DI's and into GR, sounds fantastic.
Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➑️
Any of the modern amp modelers can be used with good results. It comes down to learning how to work with them most effectively. The biggest differences between them are workflow differences, which are basically questions of whether the program "thinks" like you do. The program which you find most intuitive will likely be the program which gives you the greatest success.

If you're looking for modelers that have a brighter sound by default, then I would check out TH1's Overloud, Studio Devil's Virtual Guitar Amp, and Waves GTR. They have more presence in their "initial" condition than the others, which might make up for some of the dullness you're getting. However, I have never had any problem getting a good, usable tone out of any of them - but then again I work with them every day, and it is a learned skill. And to be fair the initial brightness may not always translate to full accuracy, it's just a characteristic of the programs. Learn them deeply and you will be able to use them effectively, regardless of which you choose.

What version of Guitar Rig and Amplitube are you using?
If you are using the guitarist template in logic then make sure that there is nothing else in the signal chain that is affecting the sound. For me it was a limiter effect on the output that was killing the audio and making it sound like a wet blanket was being put over the sound.
Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
One thing I've learnt to watch for is listening to the sound coming straight from the guitar. When you're tracking at low monitoring levels, you'll hear both the processed sound and the actual sound of the strings, giving an artificial brightness to your monitoring. When you play it back, it then sounds dull in comparison. I either crank up the monitors, or use headphones to get better isolation. (OK, this was more of a problem when using a Line 6 pod for tracking, and you can just change your plugin settings later, now that amp emulator plugins are everywhere, but it still might have given the impression of "dullness")
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…