Quantcast
Is it coincidence? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it coincidence?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it coincidence?

That ever since albums have become smashed; there have been less and less 'classic' albums. Even smashed "remasters" just no longer sound magical or as classic.....I was just thinking about this and wondering if I was the only one who thought this?

*Goes back to listening to AJA*
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco ➡️
That ever since albums have become smashed; there have been less and less 'classic' albums. Even smashed "remasters" just no longer sound magical or as classic.....I was just thinking about this and wondering if I was the only one who thought this?

Yea, when you listen to Aja you realize that there is such a big difference. What's amazing is how even on CD you can hear so much separation between each element. Want to focus on the bass guitar, go ahead and hear every detail. Want to listen to the horns, female back up vocals, etc there all there in Technicolor. Sure that has to do with arrangement but also a lot to do with how it was recorded, mixed and of course mastered. It certainly blows away any modern album I've heard both music wise and engineering wise.

I'm constantly amazed how loud and how bad 99% of the CD's sound these days. It really is sad, for everyone involved, both the creators and the audience.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
Yea, when you listen to Aja you realize that there is such a big difference. What's amazing is how even on CD you can hear so much separation between each element. Want to focus on the bass guitar, go ahead and hear every detail. Want to listen to the horns, female back up vocals, etc there all there in Technicolor. Sure that has to do with arrangement but also a lot to do with how it was recorded, mixed and of course mastered. It certainly blows away any modern album I've heard both music wise and engineering wise.

I'm constantly amazed how loud and how bad 99% of the CD's sound these days. It really is sad, for everyone involved, both the creators and the audience.
Yeah, I agree completely. I am rather young, but have been engineer for a relatively good amount of time (7-8 years) -- when I tell my friends these things, they fail to hear it. However, I still think things like having competing elements all upfront and ear fatigue effect everyone, even if subliminally.
Old 2nd February 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco ➡️

just takes time.

Classic albums come with age. For me there are no classics form the 80's - certainly not in the same way as 60's n 70's..... Most of the "classic" albums we refer to from those early years were at the forfront of the music revolution - when rock n roll mattered etc...

Bit different these days - but I've heard records in every year that rock my world....

As for some of the esteemed classics - It amazes me that people hold ACDC as some great rock gods these days. I remember them back in the day - held as something of a cheesey bunch, a bit like the Quo - especially after Bon Scott died. Now they seem to have been elevated to the heights of Led Zep (not that I'm a fan)..... time eh?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Never once have I heard an average music consumer make reference to the sonic quality of a record.
So no, I don't feel it has any bearing on the value of music.

Music is just far more disposable these days. At least in terms of pop music which is becoming more anonymous and single driven.

Many of us are old music fans that have an appreciation for the limited accessibility of a new record.
We had to actually wait for it to be released (which was usually never made too obvious) and drive to the record store to purchase the record in it's entirety. Once in our possession we would carefully remove the wrapping and place it on the place. Meanwhile, we'd be looking over all the liner notes. And that would happen over and over. The next best thing would be to see the act live. This was usually the only way we'd ever get a glimpse of the artist in real life. If you lived in a smaller community you may have to actually drive six hours to the nearest arena to see the band. And you were happy about it.

This is a vastly different experience than one would have now. These days you usually receive an email from iTunes as to the release of a new record or song. You then have the ability to visit YouTube for the video. Once released you can peruse iTunes and preview every song on the record until you find one that is to your liking. Then for 99¢ you can purchase it directly from the application. Plus now you can practically email the artist direct. The distance between the artist and the fan have narrowed to almost nothing. It's really amazing. Of course this is what made a rock star well, ... a rock star. That sort of larger-than-life appeal. Not so much anymore.

Two completely different experiences.

We grew up in a different time when we could have only dreamed of the technology available today.
We have almost direct accessibility with the artist now.
Come on this is, to some degree, what we all wanted.
It's very yin/yang.

I'm happy to have experienced both scenarios. I appreciate both, but such is life.
Gotta keep movin or you'll get left behind.

Beyond pop music there is some good music out there. You just have to search harder for it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…