Quantcast
I absolutely HATE Apple Computers! PC for Me! - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I absolutely HATE Apple Computers! PC for Me!
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
definitely not true. £1600 doesn't build you a super duper PC. It builds you a pretty good one...

I just replaced 14 PCs in our place at the end of last year - we're now ALL MAC.
No, you're all PCs that run Mac OS. There are no actual Macs anymore. There is nothing on the inside of any of your computers that isn't on the inside of mine.
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnickb ➡️
Funny ****...I love that movie
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Easy answer

Every PC I EVER HAD s*** out in 1 to 2 years, was unreliable, froze, crashed and was just plain unstable ....

I still have a G3 imac from circa 1999 that boots up and runs FLAWLESSLY to this day.

Are Macs more expensive? Yes
You get what you pay for...

Nuff Said!
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous ➡️
No, you're all PCs that run Mac OS. There are no actual Macs anymore. There is nothing on the inside of any of your computers that isn't on the inside of mine.
duh!

i never said anything to conflict that!! Kind of not the point ..... PCs and MACS have NEVER been that different. Heck even Nubus was pretty similar to PCI - just different cards etc etc... the internal flow has always been the same.

Even the old Silicon Graqphics UNIx stations were similar.

The point is - a MAC is a standard built machine - doesn't vary. And for that reason as far as cost goes, it's a more appropriate solution for us. For performance? Of course you can build a PC that does the same......the point being -

+ i didn't have to build it
+ I don't have any virus or trojan problems
+ networking a new machine is as simple as plugging it in
+ it backs up regularly and properly to time machine
+ it COSTS less than a similar specced PC
+ It doesn't have the annoying tendencies of Windows ("can I do this" - "are you sure") because it doesn't need to.
+ i don't have to do any housekeeping beyond folder organisation.
+ there aren't a kajillion pieces of useless s/w on my harddrive
+ the OS is simple (although annoying to techy types - was to me initially)
+ the OS only has to support the few variants of MAC around. Sadly not true for the umpteen **** PCs out there. Great for the good ones... but man - DELL stuff is terrible.
+ i didn't have to build it.

It ain't better - but it sure is simpler and has consistency!!
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A bump for all the strawmen, you guys are fun to read.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1234 ➡️
A bump for all the strawmen, you guys are fun to read.
i'm going to have sex with you.
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm going to have sex with you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just retired my Pentium III 850, with 512 mbs of RAM,, and a RAID capable motherboard. I used two 20 gigabyte drives for audio storage.

This was the best computer I ever owned. It ran Samplitude 6, Logic 5, Soundforge & Acid. During the last few years, it's held down a job as familty computer. The wife finally got tired of the massive 19 inch CRT. I coulda done a multitrack session on it up to the day I parted it out. (sob) It ran Win98 & WinXP

Now at the studio...
6:00 pm: My studio partner is finishing up an afternoon string parts on a song using DP.
6:45 pm: He's exporting the tracks as wave files
7:00 pm: I'm rebooting the MacPro in Windows & launching Samplitude for the mixdown.
7:15 pm: the client comments on the "sparkliness" of the tracks compared to the original PT sessions.
9:30 pm: Mixes are finished. I reboot the computer in OS-X. I load the wave files from the mix in a PT-MP session for archival purposes.
10:30 pm: I'm lying in bed with my sweetie watching a bad "chick flick".

What Mac vs. PC controversy?

Last edited by andsonic; 3rd March 2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: curse of the typo
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb ➡️
I'm not going to say my $650 Quad core PC I just put together will beat an octocore mac, but it is far from a joke. It is ultra stable and super fast.
Of course it was 50% research and knowledge and 50% luck the components play well together... and I'm still stuck with XP 32bit until they release 7 this year... oh well, I still couldn't afford $3000 for a Mac. Even a comparable spec'd and used quad core mac was out of my pocket range.
So I take exception at your statement.
And your 650 pc runs better than a 650 mac, if you can find one....end-o-story!!

I still want a mac to play around with though!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➡️
And your 650 pc runs better than a 650 mac, if you can find one....end-o-story!!

I still want a mac to play around with though!!
OMG, and the new generation of Mac Pros! Holy cow those things look sexy!
Looks like the processing power for low latency, large 24/96 projects is here...

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OMG, and the new generation of Mac Pros! Holy cow those things look sexy!..
I'm going to have sex with those too.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I was a strict pc user for a while...Once I tried a mac, I never went back heh
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to have sex with those too.
Dude, you're nailing everything on this thread!
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
duh!

i never said anything to conflict that!! Kind of not the point ..... PCs and MACS have NEVER been that different. Heck even Nubus was pretty similar to PCI - just different cards etc etc... the internal flow has always been the same.

Even the old Silicon Graqphics UNIx stations were similar.

The point is - a MAC is a standard built machine - doesn't vary. And for that reason as far as cost goes, it's a more appropriate solution for us. For performance? Of course you can build a PC that does the same......the point being -

+ I don't have any virus or trojan problems
+ networking a new machine is as simple as plugging it in
+ it backs up regularly and properly to time machine
+ it COSTS less than a similar specced PC
+ It doesn't have the annoying tendencies of Windows ("can I do this" - "are you sure") because it doesn't need to.
+ i don't have to do any housekeeping beyond folder organisation.
+ there aren't a kajillion pieces of useless s/w on my harddrive
+ the OS is simple (although annoying to techy types - was to me initially)
+ the OS only has to support the few variants of MAC around. Sadly not true for the umpteen **** PCs out there. Great for the good ones... but man - DELL stuff is terrible.
+ i didn't have to build it.

It ain't better - but it sure is simpler and has consistency!!
I think you left 1 "I didn't have to build it" out...

PC = Piece of Crap
MAC = Muthafukkin Awesome Computer
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I feel like p*ssing some people off haha:

Macs are the best without a doubt. PCs are total garbage. People criticize Macs for being more expensive...well DUH, they are so far superior. A Pinto is also way cheaper than a BMW. I say all this being a CURRENT PC and Mac user- I have them side by side. Windows is like going back to the Fred Flinstone era. Flame away lol.

🎧 10 years
I have worked in a dozen of studios in Europe, US , Canada, New Zealand, Australia.
I have never seen a PC used for audio. I have only experienced PC's in home studios.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hipass
jeesh..loll...and thank heaven the pc is around otherwise if there was only one supplier of puters in the world...whether mac or the freddy splunge computing company , or the we are gonna make you pay good computing company or whatever other name one could think up...
were available as the only monopoly each computer would cost a fortune just like early digital
multitraks did..remember those ?? quarter of a million buks. now obsolete.
competition is GOOD for us creators. it keeps prices down.
me..tho' i'm a pc bloke i think the mac mini is cute.. frankly.
i think apple is missing huge opportunities marketing/sales wise with the mini.

knock the pc all you want..but it aint goin away.
worst case it helps keep prices down for the mac fan base. and thats good for you mac fans.
you see..lol...there IS a benefit to haveing pc's around..keeping prices down for you guys..lol.

seriously its all the same trickle down technology inside whether mac or pc.
the really neat computer R n D is done in labs around the world.

wanna see something really neat ?? not a big OS like mac and pc vista.
menuetos.org
totally brilliant small footprint OS imho.
someone should do a nice low footprint daw multitrak software
to operate under it. it would be superb.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSummer ➡️
I feel like p*ssing some people off haha:

Macs are the best without a doubt. PCs are total garbage. People criticize Macs for being more expensive...well DUH, they are so far superior. A Pinto is also way cheaper than a BMW. I say all this being a CURRENT PC and Mac user- I have them side by side. Windows is like going back to the Fred Flinstone era. Flame away lol.
I don't need to flame, but if you don't mind providing statements WHY macs are superior, especially for working with audio?

Personally, I can't stand the Apple/OSX interface feel. I've been using OSX at school for going on 2 years and I still don't like the feel/flow of it. There's not a like of quick key/keyboard shortcuts for common things like renaming files or searching for things in a flash.

I'm not a mouser and will never be. OSX is for people who love using the mouse. I do LOVE how quickly OSX boots up though. Just seems to be ready within seconds. I don't like how SOME imacs will just disconnect / stop talking with an Mbox2 for no reason while using Logic.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo ➡️
I've been using OSX at school
There we go. Do it in the real world, where you don't have people to look after your computer maintenance for you.

How well a computer does or doesn't work with the Mbox is down to how it's set up. I've never had that problem. Plenty of other Logic issues yes....
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't need to flame, but if you don't mind providing statements WHY macs are superior, especially for working with audio?

Personally, I can't stand the Apple/OSX interface feel. I've been using OSX at school for going on 2 years and I still don't like the feel/flow of it. There's not a like of quick key/keyboard shortcuts for common things like renaming files or searching for things in a flash.

I'm not a mouser and will never be. OSX is for people who love using the mouse. I do LOVE how quickly OSX boots up though. Just seems to be ready within seconds. I don't like how SOME imacs will just disconnect / stop talking with an Mbox2 for no reason while using Logic.

Aah I'm just being a prick...in all seriousness PCs are fine if it works for you. I'm no expert on the science behind it, alls I know is that I prefer MAC OS by a wide margin, it's all just opinion really...
Old 15th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am strictly a PC dude.

BUT, Mac OSX is pretty affordable. I'm strongly considering running OSX on a PC. That's a lot of trouble, though.

OK, here's the thing. the 4GB limit for PC is KILLLING me. And XP64bit just aint ready for prime time cuz my software vendors just are not supporting it. I wish they would, but lets have some sympathy for these guys. I mean, porting code for OSX PPC, OSX Intel, x86 AND x64 must just really suck. I'm not surprised that nobody is finding the time to support x64 yet.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous ➡️
Im sorry thats just not true. I used to be a Mac Genius, and although Im not one of the people that drink the Kool-Aid I am an enthusiast. They make great products.

Really there are a few things apple purchases and doesn't make.. the HD's are WD and Seagate.. sometimes worse if your unlucky, internal LCDs are LG.. video cards.. and processors. Fortunately they build the architecture of the OS and the rest of the hardware like the RAM cards and Logic Board to work with these parts as one single seamless unit.

They are both PC's, I will refer to them as non-macs. Non-macs no matter if you built it or if you order it are a similar idea. They buy parts also. But they buy every part but the casing and sometimes other little bs. They dont make the OS, and then they just slap it together and sell it.tutt

dfegadPCs go down to Autozone and slap together a car from bunch of random parts, and a Mac is like driving VW that is built with Porsche parts. (another car analogy)

And dont dis the OS EVER.. if you used it for 2 weeks you would never go back.. and yes you can run crap windows also.

People that run windows just haven't used Mac in years, thats always the case. You put one in their hands for a few minutes and they never want to give it back. Arguing will never convince someone, but the product will almost every time.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown ➡️
I am strictly a PC dude.

BUT, Mac OSX is pretty affordable. I'm strongly considering running OSX on a PC. That's a lot of trouble, though.

OK, here's the thing. the 4GB limit for PC is KILLLING me. And XP64bit just aint ready for prime time cuz my software vendors just are not supporting it. I wish they would, but lets have some sympathy for these guys. I mean, porting code for OSX PPC, OSX Intel, x86 AND x64 must just really suck. I'm not surprised that nobody is finding the time to support x64 yet.
Yea good luck with that. Windows has themselves in a corner. Most people and businesses use Windows and windows supported apps. They have super old code that they just keep writing over in order to keep compatibility.

With OS 10 Mac said "hault we are starting over, old stuff will not work" good luck with Windows doing that. They did it more smoothly with the intel switch, and now they are doing it in a different way with 10.6. The whole OS architecture is changing.

Windows is its own curse, and really Microsoft was never really an innovative company they just did good in business.

They had Microsoft Office, and Exchange Server but still.. BORING

Oh and one more.. on top of not working is so ugly!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

tuttYou have no IDEA what your talking about. OSX is open source you can customize EVERYTHING in the os.. you can make it look like dfegadwindows if you want. You can make shortcuts for everything, Expose and spaces? You just dont have any idea how to use it and prevent yourself from learning because of the stupid rivalry or old habits. Mac conforms to your workflow, however that may be.

See my reason above to why they are superior.
And dont ask why but they do sound better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown ➡️
...the 4GB limit for PC is KILLLING me.
What 4GB limit?? You mean transferring files to a hard drive??? If the drive is FAT32, that's ALL you're gonna get...
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not going to say my $650 Quad core PC I just put together will beat an octocore mac,
Just out of curiosity, how much of that $650 is for anti virus software/firewall/OS? Or did you not bother?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…