My yesterday's Post Production experience in the studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My yesterday's Post Production experience in the studio
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
My yesterday's Post Production experience in the studio

I am entering the big post production facility in the city as I had to do a surround mix on the deadline, since my recording studio is not surround capable, I had to deliver it the same day. A girl with the smile on her face acknowledges my existence and points me to the lounge room. Another girl comes and introduces herself as Gloria, as we spoke on the phone before. I thought to myself how warm and pleasant this human being was--made me really happy to see someone positive. I got to follow her into the studio A and there she introduced me to the engineer named John.
John started asking me questions on how I got the gig to do music and sound for commercial--also asked me who was corresponding company that gave me a gig, and a company that gave gig to my company etc.
Johnand Gloria were trying to squeeze every possible detail on who am I, what do I do, who I know, How did I get the gig. They were so glad they are going to make 2 grand in 3 hours of time.
After all the questions answered, I have pulled my laptop and asked for internet.
Gloria was surprised with my accent and asked me where I'm from.
"Serbia" I responded with a cold tone.
"Is your friend that gave you a gig also Serbian?" she added curiously.
"No, he is Indian" I responded and observed her body language.
She puffed out the sign of surprise, but very subtle, all with a smile on her face.
I thought to myself that if people want to kiss someones ass they smile.
Even if they toss all these questions at you, trying to outsource you in every possible aspect, they do it with a smile on their face and a friendly warmth. Ass-kissers, I thought while handing a DVD disk to an engineer.
All the questions people ask about your business look so harmless and innocent at first until you look further into the meaning, they are very powerful tools for outsourcing. If I didn't know how to answer all their questions properly, I would be outsourced and fuked, would have no business in the future, because they would steal the client, steal the idea, and do it themselves. And on the top, put me on the bottom of the hole and cover up the hole with the shovels with a final spit on the ground.

But, this video will demonstrate what I intend to do:

YouTube - Spy vs Spy - Defection

That's exactly what I intend to do! Install the surround system in my studio, eventually get Dolby certified and outsource the bastards. It's a long term project, but it will feel good once it's accomplished.

I could conclude and learn from all of this that I shouldn't trust my own mother besides anyone else. Working on the deadline with people in the music business, I have realized that they are evil in every possible way. They are also jealous and envious. Their manners were so nice, polite, all with the smile on their faces--
If you smile and be a dick with the smile, that will get you far for sure.
Old 29th January 2009

๐ŸŽง 10 years
that's the business. Play your cards close to your chest.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I had a similar experience with one of my previous employers. After going out on my own I had picked up a TV series and was having the masters checked for quality compliance. While sitting in the lounge/cafe of their very well appointed facility one of my old bosses came in and said hello, asked what I was there for, who the client was etc. Now, I had worked with ad agencies there for 5 years so I have a pretty good bull**** detector and it was certainly starting to detect some BS. But then he just came out and 'joked' that the kind of work I was doing was a pain in the butt and maybe I should consider sending it to them! Turns out they were really quiet, had been for a couple of months.

Always be careful with what information you give out.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Put a couple songs on your iPod and have anyone pulling this **** on you listen to them (preferably played loud over the control room speakers):

"The Back Stabbers," by the O-Jays
"The Games People Play," by Joe South

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Dude, stop whining. Its called "business", "capitalism", "competition", Darwinism", and you are speaking of doing the exact same thing to them, so hurry up and get down to the business of cleaning their clocks with your own studio. That's just life, survival, capitalism, and its awesome. Best of luck.

thumbsup
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…