Quantcast
AKG c1000 Hate thread. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG c1000 Hate thread.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We used two C1000's on a snare, top and bottom, pointing about 1/3-1/4 mark, a few inches from the rim. Used the foam.

It sounded AMAZING.
Old 14th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I used it for recording vocals and it worked GREAT! The singer had an amazing range to her voice and really knew how to belt out a song. The recording came off GREAT and the singer loved the microphone so much that she bought it from me. Maybe there are production irregularities that make some C1000s sound good and some not so good. This one sounded GREAT!
Old 15th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use mine on snare bottom and HH sound good to me.
Old 16th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My old high school has a pair of these for recording concerts. They sounded like ass.
Old 16th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude ➑️
My old high school has a pair of these for recording concerts. They sounded like ass.
Said it before and I'll say it again, I must have the best three they ever made. Some stuff they don't sound great on by any means, but they're not completely useless. I actually like them better than the alleged "industry standard" snare and cab mic aka SM57. Especially on guitar cabs.
Old 17th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs ➑️
Said it before and I'll say it again, I must have the best three they ever made. Some stuff they don't sound great on by any means, but they're not completely useless. I actually like them better than the alleged "industry standard" snare and cab mic aka SM57. Especially on guitar cabs.
Ditto here...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They're just mics... Sometimes you want the color they impart, sometimes you don't.

If I want some harsh "bright" on an electric guitar cabinet or a snare, I usually reach for a C-1000.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's a mic, if you don't know how to use it time to apply to 7/11
Old 18th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude ➑️
They sounded like ass.
I've never understood this statement. I've had some great ass in my time...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG C1000s: I actually gave one away to a friend once. By far the absolute worst mic I've ever used..... I tried it n virtually everything and it always just sounded awful.

EDIT: Ooops... meant to say C1000s (fixed post)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've enjoyed my pair for the past 4 years. I like them on drums and acoustic guitar. Even did the job done well on vocals once. They're just tools, like any other mic. You wouldn't use a screw driver to change a tire.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat ➑️
They're just mics... Sometimes you want the color they impart, sometimes you don't.

If I want some harsh "bright" on an electric guitar cabinet or a snare, I usually reach for a C-1000.
This goes with any mic, but that's what I don't get. Here's two clips of myself and my son messing around. Let me preface by saying that, this is not in any way a reasoned setup. I threw the mics up in a bit of a hurry that day. They're on different speaks of different cabs and not in the same position (MJNT2A was middle of cone & about 8" out) w/ two different amps powering the same pedal (Zoom GFX-8). The patch my son was one was a little bright to start with, but the blend of the two mics didn't sound too bad. My MJ modded NT2A ended up sounding the brighter of the two, go figure. It actually sounds more like the rig than the C1000S (with the presence cap on) which was off axis, middle of cone about 3" out. I'm no engineer, just a musician trying to learn, so take it for what it's worth, but I have not had an occassion to hear this harshness in any of my 3 C1000S's that everyone speaks of for some reason. But I haven't gone thru dozens of sources with it either and I'm not saying I won't run across one.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Attached Files

Back In Black MJNT2A.mp3 (2.39 MB, 1132 views)

Back In Black C1000S.mp3 (2.42 MB, 1205 views)

Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Zappa and The Mothers: Dog Breath drum cover

I used the C1000 on the overheads yesterday....

Video here:
YouTube - Dog Breath Drums

Drums are:
2000 Pearl MRX 6-ply Maple in Emerald Mist Finish. Ludwig Classic Birch bass drum. Sabian AA and AAX and Wuhan cymbals. DW kick pedal and Remo heads.

Gear:
Used AKG, AUDIX, SHURE and CAD mics. 2 Firepods daisy chained into Cubase 4, via MacBook Pro. No compression or verb and just used stock eq to CUT frequencies on some tracks. For once I didn't use my UAD-2 laptop card.

Thanks for watching!
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhadrum ➑️
i used the c1000 on the overheads yesterday....

Video here:
youtube - dog breath drums

drums are:
2000 pearl mrx 6-ply maple in emerald mist finish. Ludwig classic birch bass drum. Sabian aa and aax and wuhan cymbals. Dw kick pedal and remo heads.

Gear:
Used akg, audix, shure and cad mics. 2 firepods daisy chained into cubase 4, via macbook pro. No compression or verb and just used stock eq to cut frequencies on some tracks. For once i didn't use my uad-2 laptop card.

Thanks for watching!
Awesomeness! Good drumming man. Nice to see other people that hit stuff with a stick posting around here.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 23rd December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs ➑️
Awesomeness! Good drumming man. Nice to see other people that hit stuff with a stick posting around here.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Thanks for watching!

Another video done, Tempus Fugit by Yes. Again, C1000 on the overheads.

YouTube - Tempus Fugit Drums
Old 31st December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile C1000

I have heard this mic bagged to the ****house however I haven't found them so disgusting....I use two as OH's live and they work a treat........sometimes that's all I use when playing the jazz thing in conjunction with a Shure 52 in the bass drum. Otherwise I still close mic individual drums with either Shure 98's or Sennheiser 904's when playing the funk rock thing live.
I did use one on hi hats on a album and it did the job however there are just too many other mics to choose from to record with. Cheers
Old 31st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Wait... is this a shared hurt? Even I had the misfortune of having a C1000 I must have spent 5 years trying to tell myself that it was just being brutally honest and a flat response while I grappled and desperately tried to make anything through it sound better than even the inbuilt mic on my little Tascam 4 track, let alone my dads old PZM's...

Has *everyone* been the victim of a C1000 at some time? Is it some sort of graduation process?

Somehow I feel a support group coming on for post traumatic stress caused by the C1000.
Old 2nd January 2011 | Show parent
Deleted User
I use them as OH mic's frequently and they sound great.
Old 3rd January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No one seems to believe me, but it sounds better run off the battery than with 48v. Not night and day, but more pleasing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know why, but I'm finding myself wanting to get a pair for crowd reaction micing and for outdoor things where rain or other sources of damage are an issue....I'm scared

Then again, Rode has similar offerings....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb ➑️
No one seems to believe me, but it sounds better run off the battery than with 48v. Not night and day, but more pleasing.
I can validate this as well.
Old 4th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
JJ Puig - c1000 + 57 = Black Crowes guitar on.. Amorica..?? Last I checked those guitars don't suck.

But yeah, don't be hatin'. We have a pair & they get used. Not a lot, but like everything else, they work well at times.

Old 20th January 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfieldmusic ➑️
I've used it on acoustics (where I want a more percussive sound), guitar amps, as a close bass cab mic (with a LDC further back), underneath toms and occasionally for vocals (when I want to be eating the mic). My brother's done a bunch of demos where he recorded the entire kit with that one mic (foot in front and 6" above the kick) and they sounded surprisingly good. Nothing spectacular but versatile and really, really cheap. Then again, I don't exactly have the biggest mic cupboard in the world.

David
I think I'm your little brother. A little further out and about level with the top of the kick sounds rad. Garbage on most everything else I've tried it on, but this was a surprise.
Old 27th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I a saw a local gig one time and they had a C1000 about 5 or 6 feet over the drum kit. just verging on feedback probably with the lows rolled off.

it made the live sound sizzle brilliantly.
Old 1st February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I like mine - but I don't have a huge mics arsenal...I noticed it's not too cheap on Ebay these days either...

I always felt a bit embarrassed by it's shape, and it's a bit humiliating to sing down - especially if you've had studio experience on other mics, and it's phallic - compared to a regular pencil condenser, if you were comparing the two...

I remembered I need a new clip for it....
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old C1000 vs. C1000s

I have the early models and I was trying them out in hyper-cardioid mode, and they seemed much better with off axis rejection than some Equitek E100 LDC mics I had. Not as amazing, but decent low end and lots of snap.

Is there any apparent difference in sound or quality between the early models and the later models?

Last edited by softcopymusic; 11th April 2011 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: I do not have non-S models. I think there is no such thing. Duh.
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another drum video done with AKG C1000's on the OHd's.

Covered The Darkness: Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman in celebration of the end of their 5 year hiatus!

YouTube - Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman Drums

Just started using Reaper(long time Cubase user), and that has been fun to record with.

Drums in this video are:
2000 Pearl MRX 6-ply Maple toms in Emerald Mist Finish. Ludwig Classic Birch bass drum, Chad Smith model snare. My old and cracked Sabian AA and Wuhan cymbals. Zildjian New Beat hats. DW kick pedal and Remo heads.

Gear:
Used AKG, AUDIX, SHURE and CAD mics. 2 Firepods daisy chained into Reaper, via MacBook Pro. No compression or verb and just used stock eq to CUT frequencies on some tracks.

Thanks for watching!
Old 23rd June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandex man ➑️
I swear i read that as "Banana" and was about to ask "so how often do you have to change the skin to a fresh one so it doesnt get smelly?"
I have a pair of these that I use as overheads and they tend to be bright so i also use the banana method to tame them down a bit
Old 28th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A c1000 and an audix i5 were the first mics I bought almost a decade ago.

I still use it from time to time. It was all I had back then for awhile so I learned to deal with it. There's no such thing as a bad mic. But there is a right or a wrong one.
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Andy Hong used a single c1000 to capture the electric guitar amplifier sound on the record "The Bed is in the Ocean" by Karate. He had quite a wide choice of mics to choose from but he went with the c1000. Plus, vocals were done using a AKG c3000. Funny thing he didn't use compression or eq on this record, that sounds at least acceptable. So what do you guys think? http://https://youtu.be/qsk9yGzMksk
Closed