Quantcast
AKG c1000 Hate thread. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG c1000 Hate thread.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i like this mic on toms. i did a shootout between c1000, md421,sp b1,sm57.
it actually came in second behind the 421. b1 had more lowend but more spill as well. I use em for floor toms mainly or room if i have to. live they're ok as well.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Toms is where its at with this thing.

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As a youth, back in the days of blackface adats, I used the C1000 on accoustic guitar (neck, AT4050 on body). I am still proud of the sound of some of those recordings. On of the clients, a well known folk singer (over 30 albums) was so impressed with the sound I was getting, he went out and bought himself a couple.

I also did a tabla recording with a pair and the player told me it was the best recorded tabla he had heard.

Oh, this will get some reactions - I was using the preamps on the Mackie 8 buss recording to 16 bit adat!

OK, so I have not used them in a looooonnnnng time, but they made me alot of money and I was never ashamed of the finished product.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedrummer ➑️
i like this mic on toms. i did a shootout between c1000, md421,sp b1,sm57.
it actually came in second behind the 421. b1 had more lowend but more spill as well. I use em for floor toms mainly or room if i have to. live they're ok as well.
A friend and great engineer uses the C3000 on toms. They used to come as a set.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really dislike the C1000.

I once had all my gear at a friends house where I lost a C1000. It bugged me that I might have been absent minded enough to lose it in an attic, but the mic is so useless I didn't care for long.

A while after I had moved out, my friend found it in his sister's bedroom...maybe she was experimenting?? She must have liked the shape - I dunno.

I think it got sold on ebay.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I dunno, i have one and don't think it's that bad. Have used it in the past on vox and acc gtr and think some of the sounds i've gotten are great, though very coloured, definitely an acquired taste.

A pair of these are the standard mics they use for recording concerts and workshops at my conservatoire and sometimes sound a little shrill but basically good.

These definitely arent the best for the money in the modern competitive mic market but are still perfectly decent mics.

There'll always be the odd situations where you don't have phantom power but would prefer a condenser to a dynamic mic and this will be handy.

How many of you haters have actually tried it with the hypercardioid attachment? It gives a much darker sound with a slightly extended bass response. Not shrill at all.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
akgs 1000s are an accident, or marketing or whatever imo
here at my place , they weΒ΄re advertised like golden suggar,
better money to be spend on others imo
akg makes good mics, imao, c1000 mk1, mk 2 is a mic that is hard to use imo
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's not a terrible mic. There's just better mics available at that price point.

I think it works well on res snare head.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I saw the movie of "One giant leap" on tv last night and most of the vocals were done with 2 C1000's and sounded pretty good. Might have been the ghetto apprach they had, dunno.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This place would only like them if they cost 4500$.
I bought 2 from a pawn shop for 40$ each and usually just put a heavy foam filter on the head. Plus, I use the little road cases to store more expensive mics in

With my homemade foam "condom" they seem to work fine on cymbals and acoustic guitar. I once ended up going through every mic in my collection just to have a bluegrass fiddle player like the c1000. I probably have gotten my 80$ out of them.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Absolutely horrible mic which you can even make at home and have it sound better using Radio Shack parts.

Anyone taken a look at the inside of the capsule? It has three little radioshack quality ECM elements clustered together to pick up the sound!
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
um, a back-electret isn't it? probably spelt that wrong....and I think they're great for stirring a really big cup of coffee...preferably with lots of sugar so it makes sure it can't ever be used for recording again...
.hahaaa....not bad...i do use one occasionally paired up with an AKG 112 on the kick. I blend in a touch of it, to add top end to get that more metal 'clicky' kick sound.

Foul for everything else though i agree.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have one.
It's the only mic that gets used EVERY DAY at our shop....

....where it sits on the console meterbridge....makes a great CR talkback.
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
It is certainly NOT the swiss army mic that it claims to be... but I HAVE found uses for it.

On one particular drum kit, in a particular room, a pair of C1000s got the nod for OH duty (X/Y) after out-doing some MC-012s, and NT2-As... the AKGs just happened to sound better on the toms and nicely brightened up the somewhat dark and dull hats.

I have also gotten usable results on darker acoustic guitars (with some carefull placement), and used a pair for stereo location mics on several occasions (where their battery-power feature came in handy). They also make decent drum OHs for live gigs, and work quite well in this application with the hper-card "thingy" installed.

One thing I will agree on though.... they are terrible vocal mics
Agreed. I've had success with a pair of these mic in X/Y and stereo room configurations as well. Beat out the NT2 as well.

I think that the dark cymbals had a lot to do with it.

Additionally, I've seen lots of guys use these as tom mics in live settings, and IMO they sounded good. Sorry, I can't hate on them unconditionally.
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Use them all the time at schools live good mic for money and they do not die, recording? maybe not.
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➑️
Actually they sound really good when used as drumsticks.

To be fair, they were around before all the Rode and Chinese mics came on the market. Back then they were the only affordable condensers to most home studio or project guys. They deserve their place in history but you'd be crazy to use one today.
+1..god, people act like they were forced at gun point to buy the damn thing!!
Old 9th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
WHAT?!!!

OK, this is my very first post here, and my blunt and direct demeanor in this post may not initially endear me to anyone, but I just HAD to put in my 2 cents when I read the astonishing crap contained in this thread:

If you can't get some top-notch, professional recordings out of the AKG c1000 microphone, then it's YOU that is the piece of ****, not the mic! tutt

To back that up, I bought two of these back in 1996 when I was a broke high-school kid with nothing but a Tascam 464 (4-track). These were eventually used on hundreds of demo recordings and several professional recording gigs. Of course they aren't the BEST mic in that price range or for every source, but here are several things that they are great at:

- Battery operated (remember folks, not every audio recording is done in a sound studio)
- Built like a tank (again, not everything is recorded in a safe studio)
- Sounds perfectly usable when used on tons of sources like your average drums, piano, and acoustic or electric guitars.
- Sounds absolutely AMAZING on things like ukulele and harpsichord. In fact, no other mic I've tried sounded better than the modest c1000 on these sources!

No, these aren't even in the running when it comes to vocal mic choices, UNLESS you're talking about a LIVE recording, but these are definitely serious, work-horse microphones that sound perfectly fine on countless sources and even awesome on several. They're more versatile than most other mics I've heard of, so what is the problem?

And seriously, given that they're only a small bit more expensive than the highly over-rated SM57 and SM58, yet they beat the **** out of those mics in every given instance, it is absolutely asinine to talk BS about these mics.

The c1000 sounds better than most of the cheap chinese mics and any dynamic mic and is extremely durable and inexpensive on top of sounding perfectly fine on most sources in the studio and is also versatile and rugged enough to be used live and for video work.

Now do you understand why I find it highly ignorant to call it a bad mic?

PS: Hi, folks! Glad to meet ya! I've been lurking a while. Don't worry, it'll all get more cheerful after this! I just had to let that off my chest.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have no problem with the C1000S either. I don't own one at this point, but have used them plenty in the past and they certainly are usable microphones. And it's true, when they came out there weren't many choices in that price range. However...

Quote:
And seriously, given that they're only a small bit more expensive than the highly over-rated SM57 and SM58, yet they beat the **** out of those mics in every given instance, it is absolutely asinine to talk BS about these mics.
I'm not sure how a microphone that's about three times the price of another microphone would be considered only a "small bit" more expensive, but...I would pick an SM57 to put up on a guitar amp over a C1000S ever time, and I would very rarely pick it over an SM57 on a snare drum (and I do often use condensers on drums...I'm not a huge SM57 fan by any means).

Quote:
The c1000 sounds better than most of the cheap chinese mics and any dynamic mic and is extremely durable and inexpensive on top of sounding perfectly fine on most sources in the studio and is also versatile and rugged enough to be used live and for video work.

Now do you understand why I find it highly ignorant to call it a bad mic?
Actually, I find it a bit ignorant to claim that it sounds better than "any dynamic mic"...I wouldn't make a generalization like that about any microphone without at least mentioning specific sources, but if I were to be sent to a desert island with either a C1000S or a high-quality dynamic like an MD441, an SM7B, or a Heil PR40 I wouldn't hesitate to go with the dynamic.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

No, you're right about the "any dynamic mic" comment. I was typing fast and meant to write "any dynamic mic in it's price range". Those dynamics you mentioned are several hundred dollars.

As for the price of the c1000, I got mine for about $170 brand new back in 1996. My SM57 was $99, so the c1000 isn't much more expensive, but it's far, far better. Yes, there are sources I'd use the 57 over the c1000, but generally, the c1000 gets used frequently, whereas my dynamics mostly sit in their boxes.

I definitely stick to the claim that if you can't make a pro recording with a c1000, then the problem is YOU.

Also, sahiaman said that the capsule was 3 cheap ECM parts bundled together. Are you high? It's a single 3/4" diaphragm! I just looked at mine and also found a picture online of one disassembled. Definitely a single diaphragm.

Anyway, I mostly a fan of ribbon mics, so what am I doing defending this mic so much?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was basing my comments more on the current price of the C1000S, which is $279. The SM57 runs $99...I'm sure you could get both for less if you shop around a bit, but still, it's quite a bit more.

Still the SM7B is only $349, and the PR40 is a bit less than that. The PR30 is even less than the C1000S and I'd prefer that microphone in most cases. I think that dynamic microphones in general are somewhat underrated these days, especially when used with nice preamps. Having said all of that...

Quote:
I definitely stick to the claim that if you can't make a pro recording with a c1000, then the problem is YOU.
I don't disagree. I think it's a decent microphone. But these days, around the same price, there are quite a few good choices, which wasn't really the case back in 1996.

Quote:
It's a single 3/4" diaphragm!
The C1000S has gone through several revisions over the years, and at one point it used a second smaller diaphragm which was switched on when the microphone was put into the hypercardioid pattern. As I understand it they changed the design as the second diaphragm added some noise.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I made loads of demos/songs with the AKG and a Roland VS880 some years ago... If anyone is interested to hear how it sounds, maybe I can dig up some old recording. If I can find the cds...

Even better: those who have incredibly crappy recordings (sounds ruined by the AKG) could also post something... to back up their arguments.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geareyes ➑️
Toms is where its at with this thing.

Mike
ya when you don't play the cymbals.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
+1..god, people act like they were forced at gun point to buy the damn thing!!
i was 15 and easily fooled by the pricepoint and excessive product placement in magazines/stores.
Old 30th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Arrow

You know, I actually hadn't used my c1000s in ages when I found this thread, so reading all this hate stuff prompted me to do some A/B testing of this mic with some others over the last several days.

The results? It's just okay. It's not great, but it's certainly FAR from bad. It lacks a lot of detail in the upper midrange and high frequencies compared to other SDCs, but it doesn't sound bad at all. It doesn't have a great bass response, but what it does pick up is nice and tight.

There are still some sources I would go straight to the c1000 for, including ukulele and harpsichord and some auxiliary percussion. The way that this mic accentuates just the right frequencies and mellows others just works perfectly on some sources and that alone makes it worth keeping these around. I'd believe the banjo dudes when they say it's great.

I previously exclusively used the c1000s for drum overheads when they were all I had, but after upgrading, I wouldn't DREAM of using them for that again. Spot miking perhaps, but never overheads.

I'll have to concede that if you're in the market for a SDC these days, you'd probably be better off looking elsewhere. But yeah, back in the late '90s, it was all we had. The fact that mine have held up all these years after being used heavily does say a lot about their durability and quality and I still have no real complaints about my past recordings using them.
Old 30th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Josh- ➑️
I'll have to concede that if you're in the market for a SDC these days, you'd probably be better off looking elsewhere. But yeah, back in the late '90s, it was all we had. The fact that mine have held up all these years after being used heavily does say a lot about their durability and quality and I still have no real complaints about my past recordings using them.
There's the crux of the argument for these mics... once you have an md421, an sm7 or a decent mid to LDC these things are basically useless. I used to use an AT4033 on everything, now that I have more and better mics I don't use it at all. It's not that it is a sucky mic, it's just more apparent now where it is lacking.
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's always good to have some mic options. Knowing what this mic is capable of, I can use it to get some jobs done.

'And knowing is half the battle.' - J.I. Joe
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhadrum ➑️
'And knowing is half the battle.' - J.I. Joe
G. I JOE..hes a great american hero.
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I heard that the engineer who recorded a bunch of the Karate back catalogue used C1000s on the guitars, which in my opinion sound awesome.

I used one the other day when recording a Fender Baritone through a Blues Deville alongside an M201 and an ADK Hamburg Edition. The C1000 was useful for getting a nice crisp top end bite.
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not going to wade into the debate over the mics, per se, other than to say how frustrated I am with the grilles coming detached and not being able to be put back on.

These things are , to be fair, 10 years old. They function fine, but the grilles have come off of 4 out of the 5 that I have.

Anyone have a method to repairing these things? Ditching them is simply not an option, given that we have a lot of money wrapped up in them (and no, I didn't purchase them ).
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

The general consensus seems to be that it's okay for percussive sounds.

Like others here I got mine "way back when..." As my mic collection improved I used it less and less. Now that I'm doing mostly audio post I find myself using it quite a bit for Foley work in conjunction with other mics, especially for footsteps, body falls and punches (well what d'ya know, percussive sounds...). I especially like using it for "messy" Foley sessions - lots of water or splatting fruit - as I don't care if it eventually gets destroyed; I can always get another one really cheap.
Closed