Quantcast
I nearly just cried. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I nearly just cried.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I nearly just cried.

i stumbled across the song 'champion' by Kanye West on youtube...

i really think 'sampling' has gone too far... there is no way you can justify using that much of someone elses music.

I love Steely Dan, and to hear Kid Charlemagne bastardised like that infuriates me!

especially the "their eyes... their eyes... their eyes"

somebody fetch me a gun :(

/rant

p.s. i know theres been soooo many threads on sampling and do's and dont's etc... but.... just... ugh!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I click'd that lovely || button and stop that after 1:16 of... better avoiding those things. Obvious trolls, 1 million like that puppet
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd rather listen to Kanye's autotune fiesta than that horrible Steely Dan's elevator muzak.
"Get back, do it again?" Please no...for the love of god...no...please kill me...gurgle...

*building a bunker to sit out the flamewar*

heh
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet ➡️
I'd rather listen to Kanye's autotune fiesta than that horrible Steely Dan's elevator muzak.
"Get back, do it again?" Please no...for the love of god...no...please kill me...gurgle...

heh

Steely dan has talent...cant say i feel the same about kanye
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➡️
Yeah, well...I just can't listen to Steely Dan without having images of that beardy four-eyes guy / whatshisname popping into my head...not that Kanye is a sight to behold...but at least he took some bullets! Or was that 50ct...? I liked "In Da Club"...

*reinforcing the armor on my flameproof bunker*
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1) i quite like the song, it's much better than the **** he's making these days, i think he's gone genuinely mad with the fame/wealth

2) he/they would have paid steely dan very well for using 'so much' of the song

3) i bet steely dan are loving the extra money they're getting for old rope
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

heh
Ha ha ha-- touché!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➡️
can't say I feel SD has talent either. Opinions eh?
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I *LOVE* Steely Dan, AND I like loads of hip hop stuff, INCLUDING Kanye!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat ➡️
I *LOVE* Steely Dan, AND I like loads of hip hop stuff, INCLUDING Kanye!

ditto. i love steely dan, and i love rap/hop hop and everything too.. but i just think that Kanye's 'sampling' is outrageous on that song.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"look ma I learned how to chop samples!"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
You have must be kidding, right? Nobody that records or plays music and be THAT f*cking stupid, Right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
having or using talent...

rikki´s the only number i can hear and love. i guess that´s comin from that hot chocolate style recording.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry sir, but IMO you're nuts. I mean that in the nicest possible way
thx1138
I don't get either Steely Dan or Kanye… I'd really like to understand Steely Dan, any suggestions? I don't care about Kanye.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

heh
I'll pray for your musical soul.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You strike me as a smart dude and a great AE but a terrible listener (if that's possible). I remember you saying in another thread that you considered Stevie Wonder to be boring and uninspiring. I know music is subjective, but Jesus....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 ➡️
You strike me as a smart dude and a great AE but a terrible listener (if that's possible). I remember you saying in another thread that you considered Stevie Wonder to be boring and uninspiring. I know music is subjective, but Jesus....

he's just being a rebel heh
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are these comments decrying Steely Dan even worthy of a response? They exhibit a lack of understanding of the things that make Steely Dan so good: sophisticated harmony, clever lyrics which draw from a deep understanding of literature, art and philosophy, performances from the best of the best musicians, nearly flawless production/engineering, clever arrangements, fusion of various styles, etc.
The argument may be summed,
1. “I know little about music. My knowledge of music determines my taste in music. Steely Dan has no talent. Any thoughts?” OR
2. “I have strong opinions about that which I know little. Any thoughts?” OR less diplomatically,
3. “I appear to be a complete moron. Any thoughts?"
4. "My taste in music is determined by my opinion of a musician's appearance. People with beards and glasses have no talent. Therefore, I am a hopeless moron whose dribble cup needs changing. Thoughts?"
Yes, go learn something about music, then form an opinion. This will allow you to buttress your opinion with something intelligent.

I have a feeling nobody has taken these guys out for their walks recently, leaving them feeling neglected, leading to their cries for attention.

This is all in good humor of course.

Regarding the Ops crying fit: you’re upset that a rapper rhymes over sampled music. Is this 1983? Is this your first encounter with hip-hop? You are aware that this is what hip-hop has been doing since its inception, right? Perhaps your problem is with Kanye himself, not so much his use of a Steely Dan tune. I share your low opinion of Kanye’s rapping. But incorporating other people’s music has been a touch stone of hip hop and it’s cool. It’s not like they are taking credit for the tunes they use. There’s nothing wrong with it as long as it is used legally.

Last edited by drumzealot; 4th February 2009 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: yer mom has bad spelling
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot ➡️

Regarding the Ops crying fit: you’re upset that a rapper rhymes over sampled music. Is this 1983? Is this your first encounter with hip-hop? You are aware that this is what hip-hop has been doing since its inception, right? Perhaps your problem is with Kanye himself, not so much his use of a Steely Dan tune. I share your low opinion of Kanye’s rapping. But incorporating other people’s music has been a touch stone of hip hop and it’s cool. It’s not like they are taking credit for the tunes they use. There’s nothing wrong with it as long as it is used legally.
Now there i disagree... i am a hip hop fan, and i think a lot of times sampled music works with the song. But i like it when its a clever sample that the rapper actually takes meaning from and then turns it into something else personal to them. Not merely replying "yes i did" to the original sample.

I just think the use of sampling here is just done.... badly.

and 1983? i wish :( i was born 9 years after that.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Clever re-use of well-known music to underpin newly minted spoken-word poetry. Yes

Great music? No.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If Kanye is such a self-declared fukkin' genius, then why can't he write, arrange, and play a song as good as Kid Charlemagne and THEN rap on top of it???

'Cause he's just another loser cashing in on the "I have no real talent but fortunately the mass public is buying it as entertainment."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think one of the saddest parts is that most of his listeners have no idea where the original music comes from. So obviously he cant be crediting it all that well.

Some people i know even thought kanye was the original artist behind "harder better faster stronger" tutt
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot ➡️
Are these comments decrying Steely Dan even worthy of a response? They exhibit a lack of understanding of the things that make Steely Dan so good: sophisticated harmony, clever lyrics which draw from a deep understanding of literature, art and philosophy, performances from the best of the best musicians, nearly flawless production/engineering, clever arrangements, fusion of various styles, etc.
and they're cheesy and boring as hell... heh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
pulchritudo in oculis aspicientis est.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb ➡️
and they're cheesy and boring as hell... heh

how can they be boring? every song is so different. they draw inspiration from so many different styles. They're so varied...
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony ➡️
how can they be boring? every song is so different. they draw inspiration from so many different styles. They're so varied...
it's all horses for courses you know? I like The Beatles, I think they're fairly amazing in fact, however I really don't enjoy listening to them, they're kind of boring to me. I do love Portishead and really slow dark stuff like that and that would probably put most people to sleep... so I am certainly not claiming that everyone should think SD is boring or uninteresting. They get a lot of love on GS and I have never understood it. People that don't care for SD tend to get treated like lunatics around here, just showing that educated fans of music can dislike something and even not see the artistic merit in it. At the same time I'm sure you can think of a few classic painters who bore the **** out of you, probably the same for some genius classical composers or film artuers. Doesn't lessen SD's contributions to music as a whole.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kanye is a completely talentless twat. That he needs to have his "spoken" voice auto-tuned tells you all you need to know. Cvnt dfegad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute ➡️
Kanye is a completely talentless twat. That he needs to have his "spoken" voice auto-tuned tells you all you need to know. Cvnt dfegad

subtle.

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony ➡️
subtle.

heh
I thought so LOL
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…