Quantcast
Online computer build help...UK - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Online computer build help...UK
Old 24th January 2009
Deleted 231be8b
Online computer build help...UK

I ordered a custom built computer for my music writing about 1 month ago from a large UK based computer build firm off the internet and paid by credit card via their online payment service.

Their website states that the computer takes 7-9 days to build and yet a month later I still haven't received the PC.

A week after I made the order they informed me by email that the build had started... 4 days later they informed me they had no graphics cards in stock and it would take another 3 days to get them in stock.. Which is quite odd considering the build had started days earlier.

I requested a price on more memory and asked them to add another 2Gb if the price was below a certain price point. They automatically added the memory to my order but didn't inform me of the price and upon checking my credit card bill I discovered the price was near double the price point I had asked for.

The build was completed a few days later and my pc was awaiting their "rigorous" testing schedule, in which they do 2 seperate burn in soak tests, which total to 24 hours in time.

A week later, my PC was still waiting for these tests to start so I emailed them to ask what the hold up was. I quickly received confirmation that my computer had started the tests and had successfully passed both 12 hour tests within a 40 minute time frame... ??

So my new PC moves on to the despatch using Next day delivery.... which didn't happen, so I contact them again to request a Saturday delivery. They confirmed the Saturday delivery and suprise suprise, the delivery time has been and gone, I'm still PC'less and their website still says the PC is awaiting shipment.

I've contacted them via phone - which I've now discovered to be a hired answerphone service , their address is a PO Box address and they are no longer replying to my emails. (They usually promptly reply within the hour but since I've requested tracking info from them via both phone and email, it's been a full day)

Where do I go from here? I don't really know if I want my warranty with a company that works like this, or even that I wish a firm that constantly lies about time frames and fobs you off with bull**** excuses to keep my hard earned beer tokens anymore.

Should I go directly to my card company to try and get my cash back or should I go to their telesales dept which ultimately can't deal with it ?

Is the law on my side regarding matters like this ?

Any advice will be welcome
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What made you say they were large? Large companies tend to be able to be reached by phone, and have an office you can go to.

In Australia we have a government body called "The Office of Fair Trading"

NSW Office of Fair Trading: Homepage

An equivalent in the uk would be

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

But it would appear consumers can't contact them, the consumer advice body is

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Specifically, there is a "dealing with disputes" section on their site

Consumer Direct - Dealing with disputes
Old 26th January 2009
TSM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB ➡️

Should I go directly to my card company to try and get my cash back or should I go to their telesales dept which ultimately can't deal with it ?
Before you can successfully claim a refund from your CC company, they would want to see evidence you have tried to resolve the dispute with the merchant. I suggest you send a letter to the company asking for the order to be completed within 7 days otherwise you will dispute the payment from your CC company.Make sure u send recorded delivery. If after 10 days they have not replied, call card services and ask to make a Dispute claim for goods not received.They will then send u a disclaimer to fill in, where you attach a copy of the letter and relevant email correspondence, sign it and send back.They will then investigate and hopefully u will get your money back in about 30-45 days.Hope that helps.

BTW What's the name of this company??
Old 1st July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah as I'm currently lookin to buy a new DAW I'd appreciate knowing who to avoid as well....cheers
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…