Acme Guitar unacceptable performance - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acme Guitar unacceptable performance
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Acme Guitar unacceptable performance

I have to give a thumbs down to Acme Guitar. I ordered a pre-wired faceplate on the 4th. So it's close to 20 days since I ordered. The order has not even begun processing yet.

I've now sent three e-mails, attempting to get some status on the order, and have gotten no replies. I shouldn't have even had to send one at all, they should have been keeping me up to date on the situation if the order was delayed.

I don't consider this acceptable performance for a real company. Tomorrow I'm going to open a complaint with PayPal to try to get my money back, though who knows how long that will take. And I don't have the bucks to make another order in the meantime, so I'm kind of screwed.

I don't know what their issues are. But business is business, and they aren't following what I would consider appropriate business practices, and you might want to consider this before you make an order with them. I work my butt off to provide a high level of customer service to my customers, and I expect to receive something approaching that as a customer.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I held off on the complaint, but they've still not made any contact or responded to my e-mails. Tomorrow is 20 days since the order was placed. Am I'm being a whiney beeitch, or is this just not good business? Their web site says that orders for faceplates generally take 5 working days. Four times as long would seem to me to warrant some explanation. Even if it didn't warrant it, a good business person would do it anyway, it would seem to me.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You realize Acme is the company that always built the defective traps and bombs for Wile E Coyote? You should have known better...
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
But didn't Wile alway get his faceplates on time? I thought I saw that one? I'm not sure what to do. If I open a complaint with PayPal it'll probably be forever before I get my money back, and I still won't have the faceplate. But I can't just keep on waiting if they aren't even going to bother to take the time to let me know what's going on. I certainly won't do business with them again in the future, either way.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That was next. But I shouldn't have to. If you aren't going to answer your e-mail, doesn't put a e-mail address on the web site, you know? That seriously pisses people off when a company tells you to just send us an e-mail, and you do and they don't answer it. Any company can somehow fail to answer one, but not three. That could only be a purposeful failure to answer. We have our own server, and no spam filtering, so I see everything. There's no way I just happened to not see any replies, and multiple automated response to my order got here just fine.

Not to mention that they have MY phone number and MY e-mail address, and should have long since contacted ME and given me some status. I shouldn't even have to be making any effort to try to figure out why an order is so long overdue. Any serious company would have long since contacted the customer pro-actively.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
That was next. But I shouldn't have to. If you aren't going to answer your e-mail, doesn't put a e-mail address on the web site, you know? That seriously pisses people off when a company tells you to just send us an e-mail, and you do and they don't answer it. Any company can somehow fail to answer one, but not three. That could only be a purposeful failure to answer. We have our own server, and no spam filtering, so I see everything. There's no way I just happened to not see any replies, and multiple automated response to my order got here just fine.

Not to mention that they have MY phone number and MY e-mail address, and should have long since contacted ME and given me some status. I shouldn't even have to be making any effort to try to figure out why an order is so long overdue. Any serious company would have long since contacted the customer pro-actively.
Agreed, extremely poor customer service on their part. I'd give them a call Monday and if they don't have a good explanation for the delay/lack of communication and a definite completion/shipping date I'd ask for my money back. If that doesn't work, time to file a claim with paypal or your credit card company. You've been more than patient thus far.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think this calls for a WB cartoon break!

Uh.. thanks for tip about Acme guitars!

Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, I called yesterday early afternoon. No one answered. I left a message. No reply yesterday or today. I'm starting to think that they've gone off the reservation. I've opened a dispute with PayPal. I don't see what else I can do.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm surprised it didn't explode when you took it out of the box

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They're never gonna blow me up if they don't ever get around to shipping the dang bomb.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It looks like opening the PayPal dispute has shaken things loose. They say they are going to ship it today, we'll see.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Looks like it shipped out today. Four days short of a month, but I got it in the end. They did at least ship it express so that hopefully I'll get it tomorrow, or monday at worst.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
best of luck!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I recieved it today, so this saga is complete. Interestingly, I'm not sure I prefer these Fralin Vintage Hots to my stock Strat pups. I need to give it some time and figure them out, but from a quick evaluation I'm not sure I like them so much, which will really suck if that turns out to be true, given what I went through to get them.

They are quite different from the stock ones, so I'll give it some time to experiment with them and get them set up optimally for my needs and all. And also I seldom listen to the amp in the room, mostly just as tracked through the mic, so I need to get back to that as well. Still, compared to what I was getting in the room before, I kind of liked that better at first blush.

I will say that they at least don't have that 'ice pick in the brain' super high frequency thing going on that the modern stock pups have, which is a good thing. And maybe that has something to do with it, in that so much of what I'd been doing before had to do with counter-balancing that, and I probalby need to adjust my ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pickup height is crucial on the fralin's to sound best, you may also want to add a callaham sheilding plate which will mellow them a tad as well.

Andy
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've posted them in the for sale section. It's just not going to work out. In retrospect, because of the highly vintage nature of the amp, and the fact that I'm of necessity often attenuating the output a lot for apartment recording, the brighter, thinner sound of the stock pickups are really a better deal. They balance out better the tone of the amp and the attenuation, which pulls highs out pretty significantly.

I've been playing all day and it's just not working out. I'm sure that they are great, since so many people love them. I think that if I had a Vox or Orange or something like that, and wasn't needing to heavily attenuate, they'd probably be great. For, but my needs, the stocks seem to work better. I was getting far better results with them in my setup.

So I'm going to just mark that down as another less learned and move on. Oh well. It's not the worst gear mistake I've made, and it won't be the last either I'm sure. Since they have only been used for a half a day and so many do like these pickups, I'll probably be able to sell the faceplate assembly for not too much loss.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I`ve had similar experiences with Acme.No answers at all.I even ordered the same pickups , then i wanted to order more suitable ones and i haven`t got any answer.Fralins are too bright for me.Try maybe Suhr V60lp`s or any boutique manufatures like Don Mare or Tom Shorts.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I guess that goes to show everyone's different. They are not bright enough for my setup. Too much body and mid-range, even with the top side of the pickups significantly lowered (but by that point the output is too low.)
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This guy is in the for sale area if someon wants it:

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...tage-hots.html

Either the whole thing, or I can remove the pickups and sell the separately and move my old pickups over to the new faceplate and keep it.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
I recieved it today, so this saga is complete. Interestingly, I'm not sure I prefer these Fralin Vintage Hots to my stock Strat pups. I need to give it some time and figure them out, but from a quick evaluation I'm not sure I like them so much, which will really suck if that turns out to be true, given what I went through to get them.

They are quite different from the stock ones, so I'll give it some time to experiment with them and get them set up optimally for my needs and all. And also I seldom listen to the amp in the room, mostly just as tracked through the mic, so I need to get back to that as well. Still, compared to what I was getting in the room before, I kind of liked that better at first blush.

I will say that they at least don't have that 'ice pick in the brain' super high frequency thing going on that the modern stock pups have, which is a good thing. And maybe that has something to do with it, in that so much of what I'd been doing before had to do with counter-balancing that, and I probalby need to adjust my ways.
It sucks that you had a bad experience with them. I've bought two sets of strat pickups from them and both came in a timely manner.

One of those was the Vintage Hots. Didn't dig em...I bought a set of the Van Zandt Vintage+ and have been in heaven ever since.

-Joe
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've decided to go back to the stock setup. Bu, what I'm going to do, when I get the tax refund, is hit Stewart MacDonald and buy the parts for a new one and put it together and put this new faceplate in that one. That way, I'll have both options, and the parts won't cost more than about $500, so it'll end up being a very nice second guitar for a very reasonable price. I'll probably do this one with an ebony kneck as well, so it'll be as different from the current one as possible.

And, if I end up picking up a second (or third of fourth if I'm lucky) amp down the road, this one might be the shiz with that amp, where it's not with this one necessarily. I figure that's way better than taking a bath trying to sell it (and I would given the current level of sell off going on out there.)
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
OK, I take back my comments on the Fralins. I got my new Weber speaker in today, replacing the cheapo Emminence in the Valve Jr. cab I'm using. I got to playing around, back on the stock Strat electronics since I'd switched back, and started having a sneaking suspicion that it would be worth the experiment to go back to the new faceplate and see how it sounds, though I dreading doing yet another swap so soon.

But, I did it, and boy what a difference a magnet and some paper makes. It absolutely kills now with the Fralins, Microbaby, and the Weber speaker. I just spent a couple hours completely lost and drooling on myself, finding killer tones. If it mellows out a bit more as the speaker breaks in and I get even better tones out of it as I learn it more, it's going to be a truely righteous recording setup, I do believe.

Boy am I glad I was not able to sell the new faceplate for the price I was looking for, or I'd not have had it around to try again. Whew...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…