Quantcast
Computers suck! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computers suck!
Old 1st April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Computers suck!

I've been having some problems with my Pro Tools rig for the last week or so - problems booting up, strange errors, etc. I was able to make the Mac hard drive show up again with Disk Warrior, but before I was able to to any software backups, the drive got hosed - not even Disk Warrior could fix it. So now, I've got to buy a new drive and then re-install ALL of the software, including all of the plug-ins. Worse, I've moved the studio since I started using that rig, and I can't find a bunch of the install disks (I still have the authorization disks, though I lost my authorizations when the drive went south).

This means remembering what I had on the computer and going to web sites and convincing them that I am the guy who has already paid for the software, get more challenge response authorizations, plus downloading a bunch of software on my slow dial-up modem, and dealing with a bunch of lost time.

And I should be spending the next three days mixing a project sitting on my Pro Tools drives - I don't know when I'll be able to get around to that now...

AAARRGGH!!!
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been there, Dave. I feel your pain.

Worst ****ing feeling in the world...

The good thing about Glyph drives is at least they'll recover your data if you get a crash before everything was backed up.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Computers suck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
This means remembering what I had on the computer and going to web sites and convincing them that I am the guy who has already paid for the software, get more challenge response authorizations, plus downloading a bunch of software on my slow dial-up modem, and dealing with a bunch of lost time.
[K]'s
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave,

In PC world, since we're used to more hassle , in pro setups we generally buy a second, dedicated boot drive and do an exact copy of the boot drive to it.

If your boot drive fails you, due to hardware or OS issues, you just schlep the backup in, reauthorize, and rock on.

Just a tip for the future. Pretty cheap to do these days, so when you buy a new boot drive, get 2 of 'em and copy once you're back up completely.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 1st April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT

If your boot drive fails you, due to hardware or OS issues, you just schlep the backup in, reauthorize, and rock on.

Just a tip for the future. Pretty cheap to do these days, so when you buy a new boot drive, get 2 of 'em and copy once you're back up completely.
That's an excellent idea - I had actually done that ( via the Monte method) with my 9600, but hadn't done it with my G4. I regret it now, of course. I bought an 80 gig Seagate this morning, and everything is going on there - if we can get it up, running and stabel, I'm going to buy another drive this week.

The only good thing is that no audio was corrupted - all of that is on SCSI drives and still works fine. But I did buy a 200 gig LaCie yesterday and all of the audio is going to get backed up to it.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i hate when that happens

especiall if fixing the problems require doing the same thing 20 times over and over again and after the 21st attempt its working again

good luck
Old 2nd April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Well, at least Pro Tools is up and running - now all I have to do is get the authorizations in order. Antares was right on the ball; hopefully the other companies will also be fairly quick.
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Been there, Dave. I feel your pain.

Worst ****ing feeling in the world...

The good thing about Glyph drives is at least they'll recover your data if you get a crash before everything was backed up.
I got a comment about GLYPH. They are idiots. Send anything to them to "Fix" with the caveat that you are gambling. Case in point:
I had a client purchase a 34GB seagate cheeta drive from Glyph. (this was before firewire was really happening...that's what I have them buy now, as well as doing DVD backup's, etc). The drive gave me seriuos trouble. I had the stuff backed up though ( I don't get caught that way)...but the drive was giving me problems...so I sent it to Glyph. Waited a few days....called them, and asked for a status report. I had two folders. One important, one not (relatively speaking...I was backed up, but my back up was a consoledated session, and I would have preffered the un-consoladated version, etc). The person asked me if the [unimportant folder] was important...I said, well it'd be nice to have but why? He said his technician lost it. To make a long story short...they didn't have or use any apps I don't already have....1.DiskWarrior 2. TechToolPro3 and 3. Nortan. I used 1&2 prior to sending the drive out, but not Norton...more on this later. So They say they fixed it. It gets back to me, I start using it...same client comes in booked for a vocal OD session with his drive/data [the one "fixed" by Glyph]...well it crashes, audio is crackly, etc...still broken!!! That session was ruined. I sent it back to Glyph again! (At least the place I bought it from is nice during all this time and lends me a loner).

They NEVER fixed this drive...they only lost data.
(I find out myself after it treturns that Norton Utillities was able to diagnose & repair the b-trees in a way that both DiskWarrior Nd TTP3 couldn't....so have and use all three.)

Here's the punchline. This drive sits around unused (obvouisly) for like six months...one day I'm working at a friends Studio (someone who knows alot about computers, etc)...and the topic of this drive comes up. He asks to take a look.
You know what the problem was?

GLYPH WIRED THE HARDDRIVE WRONG INSIDE THE SCUZZI CARRIER.

It turns out they have their own way of wireing the harddrives...a way incidentally that goes against the directions you get from seagate if you buy a harddrive from them.

So my caveat to all of you is.
A.)Buy the aforemntioned apps(DiskWarrior, TechToolPro3, Norton Utillities & HardDisk Tool kit). They all do something the other doesn't and regular/proper use will keep your computer & drives running properly.
B.) Keep at leats two copies AT ALL TIMES of anything you do.
C.) Buy and learn to put together all of your drives yourself .
D.) Save yourself some money and DON"T BUY FROM GLYPPH.
Old 19th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a method that's been 100% reliable unless a drive is physically damaged or worn out and in need of replacement.

First, I don't use other programs like Hard Disk Toolkit, Disk Warrior, Norton or anything else to format, initialize or defrag a drive. When the Mac sees any drive(s) it doesn't recognize on startup, so far it has always been due to the drive(s) having originally been initialized or formatted by any other disk utility program except that used by the OS. To clarify, here's a paraphrase of the common dialogue sendup: "This computer is unable to recognize drive XX in it's current format. Would you like to initilaize?" Yeah, I would. But not yet.

For getting all that data off the drive, I use Data Rescue. It's the only program that has never failed me in getting back all of my files. Of course you have to have somewhere to put all the data once Data Rescue has scanned and recovered everything. Make sure you have enough spare storage space on another, non-ailing drive and use that. I can't say I've always been prepared so perfectly, though. I've had drives fail to show up and the Mac asking if I want to initialize, but I had nowhere to dump the data when recovered. That lead to a first class PITA of backing up enough stuff to DRS2 DAT tapes to make room... which took eternity and a lifetime. Point is, you can't be beat being prepared with (what I've found to be) a foolproof, 100% dependable recovery and prevention method. Again, the prevention part is avoiding any kind of conflict by using the Mac's own process for drive initialization, which it has the least chance of coming into conflict with.

Oh yeah, when I need to defrag, I just copy all the data to another drive, initialize the drive it came from, and copy back. Works 100% of the time!

K.I.S.S. applies here, although I've learned it the hard way. If you try all this, I'd better at least throw out a small disclaimer: it works for me.. there are more variations on systems out there than any one person's 100% effective cure all can address.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great information from RM and Jax. I hadn't heard of Data Rescue - I'll definitely check it out. Is that also the name of the compnay that makes it?

Most sorry to hear about the decline and fall of Glyph. My experience with them was a few years ago, and it couldn't have been better. I never even had to send in my drive until they had already overnighted me a replacement. Then they were able to completely recover all my data that I had been unable to access with Tech Tools, Norton, etc.

And they did it all for free.

Oh well, all good things must come to an end, i suppose.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Most sorry to hear about the decline and fall of Glyph.
Me too..they try hard, but.....
Also, I've been reformatting my drives recently (scssi & firewire) with the Mac's 'Drive Setup Ζ’' application and even the "Erase Disk..." in the finder. Seems to work great...and all Mac's reconize them. This is a plus, as opposed to picking either ATTO or FWB. ATTO hates FWB and FWB hates ATTO. So it soleves that problem.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Somewhat off-topic, but I'd like to give kudo's to Apple for their HFS+ system (over the old HFS). I had a couple of old drives that never got reformatted and were still HFS, and when I tranferred their contents to HFS+ the contents shrunk to about 1/10 of their total former size, due to no longer having a minimum individual file size proportional to the total drive size.

Not so much an issue with audio, since the files are usually pretty large. But on a system disk or any drive with thousands of little files and documents it can make a huge difference.

It's old news, of course, but hey, I'm an old guy!
Old 22nd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hadn't heard of Data Rescue - I'll definitely check it out. Is that also the name of the compnay that makes it?
Yes.

http://www.datarescue.com/
Old 10th October 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy

Hi all !
I have had a few probs recently with a protools rig and 2 extrernal glyph drives - both 250 gig. does anyone know how to refragment the buggers using mac G5??

i have tried but seem to fail each time through lack of understanding. the mac and storage drives are fixed with disc utilities but it doesnt seem to actually do much!

on heavy sessions i keep getting DAE problems and the mac crashes - not funny when a bands sitting ready to record. the crappy message boxes seem to think i need to refrag the drives but theres no indication of how

on a pc you get nice clear pictures of how the drives look - and indicators of when to refrag the buggers but not on my mac

what else - i dont have disk warrior - sounds good - is it??

if anyone can shed light on this i will be v happy

cheers

Last edited by Gruz; 23rd October 2005 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: wanted to set up emailed respone to message reply
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…