Quantcast
Why is everyone so afraid of commitment? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is everyone so afraid of commitment?
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why is everyone so afraid of commitment?

What the hell is going on with this fear of commitment these days? Today after maxing out all my tracks (not just voices) I had to toggle from playlist to playlist to apease the artist. How do these artists pull this stuff off live? The whole "demo" process seems to be getting thrown out the window, and futhermore, people just want to record a bunch of crap and try to peice it together. Recording is a main part of the songwriting process. And when you do finally get to mix, usually with two rigs, you heard the ineviable phase "There was this one vocal ad lib, sang on this one version, on this one day, that I like the begining of but I want crossfaded with this one vocal harmony that I sang on this one day, on this one version. Play that."

They should call it "production writing", not songwriting.

Okay. I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny, I just responded to your post in the who is SM thread, and now in this thread you describe why I just had the 14 session from hell...

Forget knowing Slip' identity, I just realized E-cue is the fly on the wall at my place! LOL
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone make a stress ball/toy that looks like a band.
Everytime they annoy you, you can squeeze the death out of it right in front of them... Wonder if they can get the hint.

Everyone has had that well the 2nd time I sung the 3rd word in the bridge was the best. That was three months ago.
Do you still have that track. So sad when you say yes.....
Old 28th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i hate to say it but some of it is your fault, the rest is technology. dont give them the option... if a singer doesnt like a line or set, they have to resing the whole line/set of lines in my studio. if they expect to make me work for something, i expect them to work for it as well. i can always fall back to putting together a performance, but they are going to damn well try it on their own FIRST.

9/10 they go into the fishbowl and nail it, and they feel good about it for doing it. i will comp things to show them how to flow on the lines but then i want them to go in and make it happen in real time.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i hate to say it but some of it is your fault, the rest is technology. dont give them the option... if a singer doesnt like a line or set, they have to resing the whole line/set of lines in my studio. if they expect to make me work for something, i expect them to work for it as well. i can always fall back to putting together a performance, but they are going to damn well try it on their own FIRST.

9/10 they go into the fishbowl and nail it, and they feel good about it for doing it. i will comp things to show them how to flow on the lines but then i want them to go in and make it happen in real time.
that' nice.
But it doesn't engender you to the artist or producer very well.
Unless you are the artist or producer you are expected to keep track of the performances recorded by you, unless you broach this at the very beginning.
I've got some very good (I think) tips on this...but as this is more of a "moan" post...I'll refrain from listing unless asked.
Old 28th March 2003
Founder

I'm with Alpha.

But then I am usually the production boss on the gigs I do.

For engineering gigs where the client is always right, it must truley be a nightmare these days..

Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just another, in LONG list, of why I work "live to 2 track". Remarkably, I recently had a band in here whose drummer still didn't get it. No matter how many times we explained that their session was being recorded live to 2 track he expected to make serious changes a week after the tracking was complete. After an hour or two of this, both the band's leader and I began to just shout "No!" anytime drummer boy started to open his mouth in the control room. It was strangely satisfying.

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
After an hour or two of this, both the band's leader and I began to just shout "No!" anytime drummer boy started to open his mouth in the control room. It was strangely satisfying.

steve
[email protected]
Similar thing FINALLY happened today with the producer I was with and a vocalist that is more or less trying to learn to sing her parts in the studio, only it was much less mature, replacing the word "No" with a horrible imitation of the Knights who say "Nee". Very effective with the dim set right so you couldn't hear her when the talkback was pressed.

My favorite was :
"What about adding this harmo..." Singer
"Nee!" Producer (thus finishing her sentence)
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
[B
My favorite was :
"What about adding this harmo..." Singer
"Nee!" Producer (thus finishing her sentence) [/B]
LOL....

How about the next line: we are the knights that say "acky acky acky"

I'm gonna rent that tonite!
Old 31st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
>> i hate to say it but some of it is your fault, the rest is technology. dont give them the option... >>

Hmmm, good idea. Maybe start things off by leading - show them you are confident in what you do - you will leave YOUR mistakes there too. SHow them the number of examples of famous tracks with BIG problems somewhere - tuning, timing, mix levels, etc. - that also were huge international hits. Be VERY bold and challenge them. I show them that I can live with my lack-of-perfection, because I can show them nonperfect records that are classic too. It's even interesting to be strong and challenge them - say "If you can't sing it right, I won't fix it for you."

Show them YOU can commit to a mix, stick with an arrangement idea, etc. If you are making strong decisions, they will follow your dedication and even see you as a good arbiter of choices...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…