Quantcast
Does this seem ethical to you???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does this seem ethical to you????
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Does this seem ethical to you????

This actually happened- what do you think?

I spoke with a salesman at XXXX after having seen an item I
like: old gear, recapped, in fine condition. "I'm looking at the unit
now". Did they take credit cards? Yes.

We settled on a purchase price. On placing the order, that price
instantly went up 2% (0ver 50.00) because of the credit card. I accepted that
reluctantly. Then, when filling out the online form as requested, the
price went up another $10.00 "handling charge", although I was already
paying shipping, on my own FedEx acct.

Then, I get an email saying the unit would ship in "3 weeks"... AFTER
they recap the thing.

I called them, and was graciously told I could "renege" on the deal.

Doesn't this seem sleazy to you (excepting the fact they cancelled promptly?)
Old 14th February 2003
Founder

Hmmm, In my experience with classic / rare items always in demand, folks selling them can get a little 'weird' on you about em..

It's kind of like the dealer thinks, "****, I could sell these 10 times over, I shoulda made em more expencive, man this customer is getting a bargain, I am a bad sport so let me keep moving the goal posts further back, moan moan.."

And what can the buyer do? NOTHING! IMHO Except make a mental note about that particular person.

When I think about it, quite a few nice pieces in my studio came from folks that were a little 'twisted' about letting me have them!

Hang in there, get what you want! Perhaps scare em a little with who you know, like "I will be using them at Studio X" with engineer "X". So they realise their reputation is on the line.. I dunno..

Ideas anyone?

Bummer!

Old 14th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It got worse. You should read (but I won't post) the correspondence that followed my order "reneging". Now it's a personal flame war, with obscenities.

I don't get this sort of thing- I really don't. I conduct myself honorably, and my online reputation backs this up. I'd never negotiate a deal with someone and keep three "behind the curtain" surprises tucked away. And I don't insult my customers. Now, it seems, if you can insult someone enough, you're a good businessman.
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
have them fax over a bill of sale, complete with price, condition, and delivery date. A bill of sale is a legally enforceable contract.

If they start adding costs to the sale, you can do one of two things. Pay it, accept delivery of the unit, and then file in small claims court to recoup the additional costs.

If you refuse the additional costs, they are liable for losses due to "breach of contract": any session dough that you didn't get because you were counting on that gear, any additional rate increase that you were scheduling due to the new gear that you were unable to charge, any downtime scheduled for install that you were then unable to book up when it didn't arrive. It can end up costing the guy $1500 to NOT sell you the unit at the time, in the condition, and at the cost agreed on.

It's hardball, it sucks, but so do the guys who do this ****.

-sm
Old 18th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So I guess there's no chance of learning the secret identity of said not nice dealer type person?
I work in sales for Earthworks Audio, and it would be nice to keep sleaze-balls in the back of my head in case they call up asking to be dealers of our products.

BTW, I love the Strongbad Avatar smoothmoniker!

jeffa stike stike dfegad
Old 18th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The post that started this thread is now over six months old. I don't know what excited smoothmoniker's recent interest.

The transaction itself was discussed in rec.audio.pro at the same time I posted here, and the dealer issued a public apology in that thread. I don't see any reason to drag this out.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…