The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
poor tracking = "challenging" mix
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unhappy poor tracking = "challenging" mix

I'm mixing some material that a band recorded 10 years ago at a good (former) local studio. The main problem is with the drum mix. Apparently, the drummer had a heavy ride cymbal above his two mid toms, IOW above the middle of the kit. The result is TONS of ride cymbal bleed esp. in the snare mic. It sounds like the reflections and volume of the ride attack - which is a VERY pronounced PANG! - bounced right into the snare mic. Oddly, this is much less apparent in the tom mics.

In mixing this cluster****, I have no choice but to sharply gate the snare. Otherwise, the compression and eq that works best for the snare bring the ride pang to another level of obnoxiousness. When the hi-hat is played, it also bleeds loudly into the snare mic. All the snare samples I've tried for replacement don't go well with the overhead and room mics snare sound. There's a great sounding pair of room mics that should be mixed in.

So now I have a drum mix with a snare gate that opens and shuts very quickly, and includes the ride pang and hi hat wash each time. The cymbal bleed is keyed-out as much as possible on the snare hits and it's just barely acceptable.

I don't know how the engineer who recorded this let the bleed problem go undealt with. Must have been a quick and dirty job even though it was a nice studio.

Just venting before I go back tomorrow. I still have to mix 4 or 5 other songs recorded the same way. Glad this part of the forum is here!
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One more thing: the engineer should have at least asked the drummer to move the ride over by the floor tom... and/or try a lighter ride. This ride doesn't fit the songs. It sounds like a ride you'd hear in 80's speed metal, as opposed to 90's noise rock/grunge.
Old 9th November 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
can you say soundreplacer. its not always evil when it saves your ass.
Old 10th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I said soundreplacer. I didn't want to, but I said it.

I went into the live room, recorded 3 types of hits (semi-rimshot, mid drum, and off near a lug for overtones) on my Noble and Cooley Alloy Custom and replaced every hit from the original track. Time consuming, but it worked out very well, actually.

There's a little wierdness between the tone of snare in the OH's and room mics compared to the snare track, but it's far preferable to the prior ****ola.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
can you say soundreplacer. its not always evil when it saves your ass.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ah ah ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

He's gone all alphajerk.

Did I really hear that?
Old 16th November 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
well, no one blames poor tracking for a crappy sounding mix.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know. I'm able to laugh 'cause I know the story. I'm just glad you came back from...........................

Call you when I get home. I'm outta here.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
uhh..

how do I put this

wtf are you talking about?
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's probably that most evilist cymbal from the 80's........
The EARTH RIDE! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAHHHAHHHHAHAHH
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The client told me it was a Z Power Ride. I don't think Zildjian made a Power Ride in the Z line. Whatever it was though, it sounded pretty much the same as any clanging, ****ty Earth Ride.

ha ****ing ha ha ... ..

At least I got paid.
Old 7th December 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ah ah ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

He's gone all alphajerk.

Did I really hear that?
well i mixed it without soundreplacer... hopefully fully get paid sunday. glad dis bitch is out of my hands.... now to track his new band RIGHT and @ 96khz.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…