Monument fire south zone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monument fire south zone
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Monument fire south zone

Been under the threat of fire and heavy smoke since Friday July 30, 2021.
In and out of voluntary and mandatory evacuation several times.

Last Friday, we had been in mandatory evacuation for a week and when it was lifted, I wanted to move FCS supplies back in to the shop. I went and packed my truck full of 19" rack cases, transformers PC boards (all 40 pounds of PC board) but I got trapped in the storage rental compound when the automatic gate refused to open so I could exit. I had to climb over a cyclone fence into adjoining property. When I jumped, the "X" shaped wire ends at the top of the fence ripped a 10" piece of meat off my inner, upper arm when my shirt got entangled in the fence.

Yesterday, 9/10/21, we got .2 inches of rain that slowed our part of the fire. The north section is still raging, having jumped 2 rivers and 2 ridges since yesterday. The town of Denny is directly in the crosshairs. The weather is totally different at the 2 extreme north/south ends of the fire, being almost 60 miles apart.

But our respite may be over, this weekend is supposed to be hotter, drier and windy.

So, I am going to post here with updates.

Last edited by RogerFoote; 1 week ago at 05:11 PM.. Reason: The order of events was wrong, corrected.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here is a jpg that shows our fire, the Monument fire, on the south side of the image and the River Complex fire on the north side.
They are discussing whether merging the fires or keeping them separated is best...

If they merge, the fire will be around 60 miles long and 10-20 miles wide.
Rough estimate using google maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Monument fire south zone-9_11_21_overview.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Holy crap, that's some scary crap! Stay safe!
It seems fires are burning hotter, longer and faster these days. I've been drawn to moving to the mountains for years, but am now rethinking it
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To quote the song... "I second that emotion"!

g
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"I second that emotion"
Used to be on the radio all the time, haven't heard it in a while...
Now I have this urge to hear it again.
Smoky Robinson rocks.

Actually my R&B appetite is roaring now, Some Martha and the Vandellas maybe?

Maybe throw some of my favorite Gil Scot Heron "Pieces of a man" in there as well. I still get a huge kick out of "The revolution will not be televised"

Things are calm right now, but the smoke is clearing, might be another mandatory evac day later, otherwise known in these parts as a "White knuckle day"

We can usually tell things are getting bad when fire trucks start patrolling my neighborhood. Our place will likely be used as a temporary base camp, so when they start falling back and setting up camp here, it's REALLY time to leave.

I have lived here since 2001 and lived in the woods of the Redwood Empire when I was young, so always lived in the mountains and foothills.

I do not expect this to ever improve. Next year will be worse.
I am trying to figure out where to re-locate to.

I can't go through this much more.
Maybe move to somewhere like Goldfield Nevada. No forests to burn if my assumptions are correct. They are occasionally correct.

Then you are near the White mountains if you want some mountain action.

CA is toast, literally!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Hey Roger, stay safe ! You know why that shlt burns like the clappers, and I bet your hunch is bang on, too. Do what you have to do. These are some pretty messed up times, and the next few years are going to be hectic af. Tricky to know where would be best to sit this one out at, but I think anywhere in the western world is going to be hot and bothered. I would be in Mexico already, but my girl won't leave the UK, so..... Big hug to the two of you.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nuthin' better than some Motown to calm the nerves. I'm in Michigan and our skies (while not like yours) have been smoke filled for quite some time now so I can't even imagine what your air is like. Again, stay safe and stay tuned.

g
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
To the OP. If you love the "mountains" maybe West Virginia or the states surrounding the Blue Ridge "mountains"? Plenty of rain and so far no large forest fires. FWIW
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
To the OP. If you love the "mountains" maybe West Virginia or the states surrounding the Blue Ridge "mountains"? Plenty of rain and so far no large forest fires. FWIW
Hi Tom,
That is spot on.
Before we moved here we were looking at WV and TN...

Stupid me, I chose this POS area... Makes WV and TN look progressive too, sigh. I had no idea how bad the fires would get or how bad some of the locals are, and we moved in next to the worst of them...

Stay the heck away from Trinity/Shasta/Butte/Glen/ counties.
They hate outsiders and will try to kill you if you give them the chance.

TBH, I don't know if I got the strength to make another move.
This place has stripped me of my wife, my bass playing, and any peace of mind I could have had.

I'm pretty depressed today, started badly missing my wife, my cat, my old life and my son's happiness. Cried in the shower just now in grief and despair. I don't usually get hit this hard as things keep me busy 18 hours a day at least. For some reason today just felt like only loss and grief for the dark losses we have sustained.

Sorry folks, for writing this. Felt like I was drowning. Had to get it aired.
I'll be ok...

nothing to see here.
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps ➑️
nuthin' better than some Motown to calm the nerves. I'm in Michigan and our skies (while not like yours) have been smoke filled for quite some time now so I can't even imagine what your air is like. Again, stay safe and stay tuned.

g
Thanks, gramps!
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Hey Roger, stay safe ! You know why that shlt burns like the clappers, and I bet your hunch is bang on, too. Do what you have to do. These are some pretty messed up times, and the next few years are going to be hectic af. Tricky to know where would be best to sit this one out at, but I think anywhere in the western world is going to be hot and bothered. I would be in Mexico already, but my girl won't leave the UK, so..... Big hug to the two of you.
Thanks Karloff70!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Roger, again, sorry to hear the sh!t storm you're currently living through but know you still have a life worth living.

g
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote ➑️
Hi Tom,
That is spot on.
Before we moved here we were looking at WV and TN...

Stupid me, I chose this POS area... Makes WV and TN look progressive too, sigh. I had no idea how bad the fires would get or how bad some of the locals are, and we moved in next to the worst of them...

Stay the heck away from Trinity/Shasta/Butte/Glen/ counties.
They hate outsiders and will try to kill you if you give them the chance.

TBH, I don't know if I got the strength to make another move.
This place has stripped me of my wife, my bass playing, and any peace of mind I could have had.

I'm pretty depressed today, started badly missing my wife, my cat, my old life and my son's happiness. Cried in the shower just now in grief and despair. I don't usually get hit this hard as things keep me busy 18 hours a day at least. For some reason today just felt like only loss and grief for the dark losses we have sustained.

Sorry folks, for writing this. Felt like I was drowning. Had to get it aired.
I'll be ok...

nothing to see here.
Sorry to hear. I went thought some depression back in 1995. I was lucky in that I have a lot of wonderful friends and I had a lot work to do. At one point I was diagnosed with PTSD which I thought was only applicable to soldiers with "battle fatigue" but found out that "civilians" can have it to. I was able to get over it and I am sure you will to. Just talk things over with good friends and keep busy and if that doesn't work find a good professional to consult with. Best of luck!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wanted to clarify that my statement about my wife being gone, I mean mentally gone. Her family has a history of severe dementia.

I think my son and I are suffering PTSD now. especially after last night. (Clipped from an email to a friend)

Went to bed at 10 PM and after 20 minutes I was asleep.
I wake up to Karen screaming at me for being a loser who never had money and is just here to collect money she says her mother pays us to care for her. So much for sleep...

I went into the shop and put on some earplugs and went back to bed.
Hadn’t slept but at 2 AM it got quiet.
Sop I fell asleep finally at 3 AM
At 4:30 AM I was awakened by Karen screaming at me again, this time for being Dr VanDyke, whoever that is, for multiple infractions. Gross stuff. I gave in and got up to work and get the sutures removed if I make it that far before I collapse....

Her mom died in 2000... Her dad in 1995, my dad in 94 and my mom in 2018 while Karen was in ICU getting the brain salad thing done.

My whole family is gone, her family is in Oklahoma.

Life was good until 2005 when the N****’s started harassing us, which made Karen militant.

Not just towards them but towards me as well. For everyone actually. She was all in before that and we were happy.

We had been pretty happy in general, certainly no complaints between us that were very big.

That is gone as well, all the happy times we had before the events started. Gone, no memory of any of that, just delusions.

So since then it has been a long depressing slide into a kind of hell I would not wish on the ******s who did this to us.

That was what I meant by my wife being taken by these events with the "enforcers" here in organized crime/timber country.
She is gone, replaced by a demon of sorts.

Yesterday was critical, I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep when I wrote the above post.. last night, 1.5 hours. Man, I am beat.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A picture of the chunk sewn back into my arm...
Attached Thumbnails
Monument fire south zone-stitches_lg.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
your life at the moment should give clarity to those who "think" they're having a bad day.

g
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
your life at the moment should give clarity to those who "think" they're having a bad day.

g
Yes, I hope so.
It is rough being demoted from someone who tries to help people to someone whose life has shredded...
Goes for my wife too, he gave her sister a kidney in 1995, that was why we moved out in the hills, to let her heal and rest as she had a really hard time with the rib they had to remove because she is small framed.

I still hope.
Even here, 90% of the people are great, kind loving folks.
That 10% ruins it for us all.

So, just trying to hold on mentally, just in case something good comes down the pipe (again). But not doing very well as you can see, still getting angry, still getting depressed even though those states are worse than useless.

During the evacuation, we had several of our audio friends pitch in some cash so I could pay bills, and countless good wishes and prayers.
I am deeply grateful for those people.

So, thank you, all of you!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sadly, in the past I would agree that 90% was more the norm, but today is a different time. Those that used to fall in that category, no longer by choice, do. And do so with such conviction that it boggles the mind. So, please hang in there with the %...whatever it may be and continue to grow with them.

g
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

g
Well, the fire is less threat by the day.
They have done a lot of work on a break between us and the fires.

Then I look at all the poor Afghans, up-rooted and to survive must move to a new home as refugees....

Makes my pathetic little problems look smaller.
Pics of young women with small kids and young men with their dreams shot down.

With my wife's dementia I would be loath to have people move in with us, but I would open my home for a young family or mom with kids if I could.

In my situation, even if we were burned out looks better by comparison.

I befriended a young Afghan man named Baq who cam from Eureka where his family settles around the time of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

He was a hard worker, one night he and his boss went to a local eatery and when they walked in someone similar to the people who tried to kill my wife said:
"If it ain't white, it ain't right"
They decided that leaving was best and when they did, their truck had a swastika symbol made in the dust on the truck passenger door.

I guess I had hoped there were more than 10% of us, but I must reluctantly agree.

I had to start working on forgiveness for the meth-skin-head family who did this to my wife, assaulting her with a speeding car on our own property.

It is slow in coming.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…