Quantcast
I got ripped off by the old "Switcheroo" scam - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I got ripped off by the old "Switcheroo" scam
Old 1 week ago
I got ripped off by the old "Switcheroo" scam

This is partly my fault for not checking out a product after I purchased it.

But.... No.... No.... it should NOT be MY fault!!

I'll try to keep this brief.

I could not be bothered going through the finer details unless someone wants me to.

The upshot is that I purchased (NEW) an analog mono tube eq, then later purchased another one (for use on the stereo buss). I never checked if they worked because I was still setting up my hybrid DAW system.

When the the time came to connect them up, one of them did not work. It powered up, but did not transmit any signal. It was too late to send it back as a DOA item, because too much time had passed (18 months). My music gear supplier has a 14 return policy - no questions asked.

I thought it was likely that it was just an unseated tube. So today I decided to open it up and have a good look. Well, one of the tubes was blown and cracked, the other was not the brand name that should have been in there.

In my view, what's happened is some f*cking prick did the old "switcheroo". That is, they had the same item that they had f*cked up themselves by mucking around changing tubes. Then bought a new one, said they didn't like/want it, sent back the one they f*cked up, got their money back, no one checked, and I was sold their damaged one.

Regardless of weather I checked if it worked or not, it should not have been supplied to me as "new". It should have been advertised as "B" stock because it had been returned.

Also, one would think that any returned items should be checked for basic functionality. AND also never be sold as new. They did wrong there.

Hopefully my supplier keeps records of serial numbers. If they do, then it would be clear that the item was re-sold as new when it should not have been.

What makes it even more obvious that it was a "switcheroo" is that when I tried to open it up today, I could not get it open. It has torx screws and I have the correct tools. I could not get it open. Some of the screws came out easily, some were glued in with maybe permanent loctite. On purpose by the "offender" so it would be too hard to open and check?

I had to drill them out. I cut my thumb in the process.

Anyway, I don't use the Eq's and was going to sell them as a pair. But not now you f*cking dirty stinking dog!!!

I guess I can call my supplier and discuss the issue. Not big money, maybe $250USD, but not good considering I've spent around 4 grand with them in the last 2 years or so.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by stixstudios; 1 week ago at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Clarity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah that's totally f*d on both sides. The supplier probably got screwed, but didn't do their due diligence and you're stuck holding the bag.
I'd say call the supplier, plead your case, but with the thought in your head that they're not going to do anything because they have no way of knowing what you did or didn't do in the last 18 months. If they're a big retailer and can eat the cost they'll maybe do it in the name of good customer service, but I can tell you if someone told me a product they had for 18 months came DOA and someone else probably swapped tubes before you drilled the thing apart I probably would think you're just trying to scam me. I believe you, but a retailer probably gets this story a lot.
We had a live performance over the weekend and we issued a few last minute ticket refunds. Quite a few of those people had last minute deaths in the family. Very tragic weekend...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
Yeah that's totally f*d on both sides. The supplier probably got screwed, but didn't do their due diligence and you're stuck holding the bag.
I'd say call the supplier, plead your case, but with the thought in your head that they're not going to do anything because they have no way of knowing what you did or didn't do in the last 18 months. If they're a big retailer and can eat the cost they'll maybe do it in the name of good customer service, but I can tell you if someone told me a product they had for 18 months came DOA and someone else probably swapped tubes before you drilled the thing apart I probably would think you're just trying to scam me. I believe you, but a retailer probably gets this story a lot.
We had a live performance over the weekend and we issued a few last minute ticket refunds. Quite a few of those people had last minute deaths in the family. Very tragic weekend...
Fair call Jeremy. But they should have the serial number to prove that at least they know it was sold previously and came back and re-sold to me.

Also, I do understand that there are way worse things happening now in the world than my petty grievance. I just don't like people ripping me off.

We are back into lock-down here in Australia (Melbourne). We did so well at the start, but not looking so good now.

Stay safe is the main thing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios ➡️
Fair call Jeremy. But they should have the serial number to prove that at least they know it was sold previously and came back and re-sold to me.

Also, I do understand that there are way worse things happening now in the world than my petty grievance. I just don't like people ripping me off.

We are back into lock-down here in Australia (Melbourne). We did so well at the start, but not looking so good now.

Stay safe is the main thing.
Yeah I hear ya. It's not fair at all to you, regardless of the dollar value. I'd say give it a go. I find that if you're reasonable and calm that businesses will often try to sort it out for you. Good luck!
Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. It's not fair at all to you, regardless of the dollar value. I'd say give it a go. I find that if you're reasonable and calm that businesses will often try to sort it out for you. Good luck!
That's true. Thanks.
Where abouts are you at in the world?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios ➡️
That's true. Thanks.
Where abouts are you at in the world?
This week Minneapolis in the US, but typically out in the desert near LA or in Los Angeles itself. Just staying away from the big city and enjoying rural life while hunkering down and staying as safe as possible!
Planned on visiting NZ again and Australia for the first time last year, but we know how that went... was hoping for 2022 but who knows now?!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Somewhat off topic...but!

We sold a turntable on Ebay. We did a careful job of packing but the client said it arrived broken. When he returned it half of all the parts inside were missing and it looked like someone had hit the turntable with a sledge hammer (not shipping damage) I think he needed some parts to fix his turntable and decided that the best way to do it was to cannibalize our turntable, smash it hoping no one would miss the parts and tell Ebay that it was broken in shipping. To add insult to injury when he returned it he just tossed it into a box and sent it back with no packing.

To the OP best of luck getting your problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Somewhat off topic...but!

We sold a turntable on Ebay. We did a careful job of packing but the client said it arrived broken. When he returned it half of all the parts inside were missing and it looked like someone had hit the turntable with a sledge hammer (not shipping damage) I think he needed some parts to fix his turntable and decided that the best way to do it was to cannibalize our turntable, smash it hoping no one would miss the parts and tell Ebay that it was broken in shipping. To add insult to injury when he returned it he just tossed it into a box and sent it back with no packing.

To the OP best of luck getting your problem solved.
That is sh*t Thomas. I hope he/she gets bad Kama.
Quote:
Good advice Jeremy.

I rang my supplier up yesterday and told them the whole story. It was a difficult and long conversation, but we both had cool heads.

We finally got to a point that we agreed to. I posted some images of the damaged unit and he will see what can be done, via his supplier. I can't ask for more than that.

I did point out if they took note of serial numbers then they could check their records and find out that it had previously been sold to someone else - therefore case closed. Unfortunately they don't do that. He got a bit annoyed at that suggestion.

In any case, it's being looked into. I don't expect a replacement unit, but some replacement valves/tubes at their cost, may fix the unit at low cost to me, and we'll all be happy.

The Moral to the story is that make sure to check your newly purchased gear asap.

I've been a good customer to my supplier, and they are very good suppliers with great customer service, that's why I buy from them. If I was a "one-off" purchaser, then they may view that differently.

I think they will do the best they can. If I have to cop the loss, well that's just the way it goes.

Not my fault, not my suppliers fault, but the fault clearly lays at the feet of the dirty f*cking dog that did this. Not accidentally, but deliberately.

Fat F*cking Greedy Pigs.!!
https://soundcloud.com/user-56643446...-pigs-vst-mix2
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…