Quantcast
The email and phone scammers are back... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The email and phone scammers are back...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The email and phone scammers are back...

After a very quiet 90+ days the phone and email scammers are back.

Got a call from the Social Security Office that was a BIG SCAM!

Got a call from some nice lady with a very thick Asian accent who said she could "save me a lot of money on my electric bills". Told her I was in an electric company coop and could not change my electric supplier. She was not happy...

Got a call from The National Organization for Firefighters and of course they wanted money and could send "someone right over" to collect my cash donation.

Got a call from a local high school wanting me to put my company's logo on their cheerleader's uniforms and for only $200. I called the high school and they knew nothing of that "offer". The call was made from a "boiler factory" setting. Sounded like about 40 people.

Got a call about re-tarring my flat factory roof. 150,000 square feet or over. The person was amazed that I did not want to take advantage of their generous offer.

Got a call from a "local" garden center wanting to "spray my grass for weeds" only problem was they could not pronounce the name of my city correctly and had a very thick Asian accent. Maybe they were going to send over a drone???

Spam/Scam Emails are also on the rise. Most wanting information so they can send me my inheritance or that I have been selected to receive a grant from NATO or the UN. Also from some soldier in Afghanistan who has access to lots of money and only wants my bank account number so he can transfer it to me. I am currently getting about 4 to 5 SPAM emails a day and about the same # of phone calls.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I keep getting phone calls from "MasterCard, VISA and DISCOVER" The robocaller says that I can get a reward all I have to do is give them my card numbers and they will "process" the reward..

Got a call from Bank of America about my credit card... except I do not have a credit card from that bank.

Getting a lot of SCAM/Phishing emails from companies in the Far East, saying that the part I quoted on is not correct and that I should look at the attached PDF for more details...problem is I never quoted anything.

Got a phone call from someone wanting me to give them some personal information about my business. Said they were investigating my company. They never said who was calling or what the investigation was about. STRANGE!!!

The SPAM phone calls and email have picked up considerably in the past two weeks. I guess the pandemic is over!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Every year the warranty on my car is about to expire and someone wants to extend it. I'm at 16.5 years now, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to warranty it anyway
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➑️
Every year the warranty on my car is about to expire and someone wants to extend it. I'm at 16.5 years now, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to warranty it anyway
I get calls about this on my cell phone, on my land line and emails on my computer. Now they are sending me letters. Must be profitable or they would not waste all the time and effort.

Yesterday I got the 15th call from "the Debt relief hot line" It is a scam. They always call in the evening or on Sundays. More info here:
https://www.fcc.gov/scammers-try-steal-all-your-credit

The scammers are back in full force.

There is a company in the far east that wants to scare people into paying a lot of money or they will 'take your domain name away" it is a scam and they say they have buyers for your domain name and unless you send them $200 they will put it up for sale. What a load of BS.

There is also a company here in the US that wants to put your company in a domain name listing and again they want $200. It is a scam and it is run by two people out of a PO box.

I sometimes wonder how well these people would do if they were running legit businesses instead of trying to scam everyone?

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Too funny!

Sunday morning I get a call from a lady. She says "this is the "internal revenuer services" and we needs your name, your address and your social security number.

Talk about brazen.

I just hung up but afterwards I thought I should have played along with her.

I actually did not have the time to deal with the "internal revenuer" as I was working on an audio restoration project. I wonder how many people fall for this obvious scam??? The first clue was the name "internal revenuer" and the second was most Federal offices are closed on weekends so why would she be calling and if she was with the IRS I guess some people are desperate.

FWIW I am still laughing...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got a call about someone wants to buy my house, I said sure!!!
Come over with a Money Order for ONE MILLION dollars, and Ill sell it.

They hung up!!!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For a while I was getting targeted spam calls trying to "book studio time for an artist who will arrive on a tour bus" classic "send extra money to pay the bus driver" scam.
I messed with the guy for a few hours over text and baited him pretty hard, he eventually tried to convince me to rob a bank with him. It was hilarious and I never heard from them again.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Phone calls from "American Cancer Association" wanting to send me some donation envelopes that I could send to 25 of my closest friends. I have asked twice to be taken off their phone calls and it turns out this is a BIG SCAM. I hung up.

Got a phone call from two different "your car warranty is about to expire" companies along with two mailings from different companies about my warranty is about to expire. There must be a lot of money in this scam as there are more and more people doing it.

Got a call from someone wanting to do some recording. When asked for particulars like genre and when and they hung up. Very thick accent. Not sure if it was legit or not.

Lots of "get your email lists from us" emails. Mostly random with email lists for lawyers, news outlets and anything else the scammers think you might be interested in. Three this week.

Phone call from "Bank America" again about my none existent credit card. They seem to call about once a week.

Got an email saying that my "credit card" was being charged $230.00 for software protection and if I did not want this to happen I had to call a 1-800 number. BIG SCAM.

Got a phone call from someone offering me "free insurance" for my house if I got insurance from them for my car. They said I needed to answer some basic questions and the second one was my social security number. Why do they need my social security number for house and car insurance? SCAM!!!

Email from some solicitor in England saying that my last name matched one of his "recently deceased" clients names and he could direct the inheritance to me if I would agree to split it with him. This is about the 10th one of these I have received this month.

Scammers seem to have gotten busy after COVID-19.
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
you should record it all and release a sample library.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…