Quantcast
Geek Stands and how a missing part is ^@#ing me #@! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Geek Stands and how a missing part is ^@#ing me #@!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up Geek Stands and how a missing part is ^@#ing me #@!

Their Griffin Studio Rack looked decent on the surface, and once arrived I see it's the quality of my last outdoor grill (a bit thin).
But it lack one of four specially-longer bolts and Geek Stands won't return contact. So if I go to the hardware store and buy a replacement, will that void the warranty? GS hasn't contacted me.

The instructions and even video on assembly - says NOTHING - about washers included. The pictures show washers yet there are no mentions in either text or video instructions. Look even carefully at the pictures of stuff in their own racks and there's never more than two screws!

Am I wise to ditch this altogether? Of course! But where can I arrange a return? No contact.
They sell on eBay and I got mine through the Texas Geek Stands store directly. So there's one less protection taken away, but my AMEX card might be able to get their attention.

So where I am, all the rack units that are supposed to go in there is all over the place here; messy residence.
Wood (lumber yard) doesn't look as nice but I could build a lot better unit than that for $100.00
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
That sounds like a sour deal. πŸ‘Ž

I've seen similar rack stands in Sweetwater that may be a better option for ya.

Best wishes.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just ordered the same rack and was well please with the construction and quality for the price I paid. I would not think using store bought components would void any warranty. FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I just ordered the same rack and was well please with the construction and quality for the price I paid. I would not think using store bought components would void any warranty. FWIW
Maybe you can borrow me that bolt three weeks a month and I too can enjoy quality?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
-update- the hardware store didn't have it but Lowes did, which cost me a couple cents shy of $6.

@ Geek Stands: have a packing list included up front and make your videos be assembled with the parts you're supposed to!

Last edited by JoeyM; 2 weeks ago at 01:44 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
-update- the hardware store didn't have it but Lowes did, which cost me a couple cents shy of $6.

@ Geek Stands: have a packing list included up front and make your videos be assembled with the parts you're supposed to!
Can ya post some pics of the rack
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➑️
Can ya post some pics of the rack
Right now it's on the kitchen floor and I just got done rightening all the bones and everything is a little past finger tight. I will have to agree with Thomas that it appears stronger than my first impression, although factor Murphy's Law and nothing would matter anyway

I wish there were more to this design that you could add like some sort of Erector set .

But, on top goes this, ordered this morning: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293814259242?

But yeah, say on the bottom there's a computer maybe 1-3U, then above that a bold stereo power amp at least and above just a couple preamps, some old gear like a DigiTech Vocalist II just because I still have it, and one of my more pried possessions now, a DBX AFS2 Feedback Exterminator. Two (go the extra mile) speakers hanging off two sides so it's fairly self-contained.

When I'm not using the rack it's also possible to dedicate 2U to some home LAN and all that. I've bought two shelves so far, with pending consideration if I need a sliding shelf. Monitor way up top.

This is just for woosdshedding vocals and guitar (inc Guitar>MIDI). For ages I've wanted to have live vocals without ear-splitting feedback. It's might mot be finished until Fall and for now I like the idea of three total Windows computers in that one rack: two efficient/low power computers and one fire breathing dragon for the live tracking especially but rendering especiallier .

Last edited by JoeyM; 2 weeks ago at 06:50 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
These 1Ft IEC cords would be cool if we knew they were shielded:

My audio path otherwise is Canare StarQuad cables for anything XLR; Markertek had un-refus'able pricing last time I had money
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
AfterViewer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just so you all know, washers and especially "lock washers" are most important on assembled items to keep things from comming undone, most importantly. .... The real issue though is that lock washers will keep your assembled object from falling apart if it is going to experience vibration from shipping or is an actual vehicle that will be on the road. Vibrations unscrew your screws. Not to mention aircraft.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer ➑️
Just so you all know, washers and especially "lock washers" are most important on assembled items to keep things from comming undone, most importantly. .... The real issue though is that lock washers will keep your assembled object from falling apart if it is going to experience vibration from shipping or is an actual vehicle that will be on the road. Vibrations unscrew your screws. Not to mention aircraft.
The weight limits aren't so great on these, and figure in a car a small bounce can make slamming this unit way past that just bottoming out. True what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I just ordered the same rack and was well please with the construction and quality for the price I paid. I would not think using store bought components would void any warranty. FWIW
Thomas do you know the thread specs of these particular rack screws? Mine looks like there's enough for five 4-screwed units but they're not the same as my classic screws here previous.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
The weight limits aren't so great on these, and figure in a car a small bounce can make slamming this unit way past that just bottoming out. True what you're saying.



Thomas do you know the thread specs of these particular rack screws? Mine looks like there's enough for five 4-screwed units but they're not the same as my classic screws here previous.
I thought they were the normal 10/32s but I will check and post back.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
-edited out lots of wrong answers


I'm also once again unhappy Geekstands can't return a question about more rack rails!

Last edited by JoeyM; 1 week ago at 04:53 PM.. Reason: it's ongoing
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
According to my Metric Screw Checker they are M6-1.00 and can be purchased here https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...RoC9VEQAvD_BwE

They are usually used in server racks for computers. Hope this helps...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
According to my Metric Screw Checker they are M6-1.00 and can be purchased here https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...RoC9VEQAvD_BwE

They are usually used in server racks for computers. Hope this helps...
Thanks; that's exactly what i ordered; just wondering if you add nylon washers under the screws?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
Thanks; that's exactly what i ordered; just wondering if you add nylon washers under the screws?
Yes I do. I use black ones that have a lip on them so it stays in the middle of the hole.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
Yes I do. I use black ones that have a lip on them so it stays in the middle of the hole.
A lot has happened since i last had a rack that wasn't wood rails; mind if I ask which ones you use? While I ordered 100 screws from that last place with high shipping price and slow delivery, it's much cheaper elsewhere & 2-day shipping etc so I'm trying to unscramble that egg and cancel the order. I could add washers this order and be all set

While we're here too, there are other Studio Racks similar to Griffin's for 1/2 the price. They have the rails with squares for the cage nuts. The 2nd difference is on the cheaper ones the mixer adjuster has holes and you have to manually change the position. No problem, I might never change anyway. Those hover around $70 but sale at $50 so I'll have to report back someday (or if someone else knows do tell), if you have good luck with those other stands.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
A lot has happened since i last had a rack that wasn't wood rails; mind if I ask which ones you use? While I ordered 100 screws from that last place with high shipping price and slow delivery, it's much cheaper elsewhere & 2-day shipping etc so I'm trying to unscramble that egg and cancel the order. I could add washers this order and be all set

While we're here too, there are other Studio Racks similar to Griffin's for 1/2 the price. They have the rails with squares for the cage nuts. The 2nd difference is on the cheaper ones the mixer adjuster has holes and you have to manually change the position. No problem, I might never change anyway. Those hover around $70 but sale at $50 so I'll have to report back someday (or if someone else knows do tell), if you have good luck with those other stands.
These are the washers I used. https://www.parts-express.com/Middle...caAsFHEALw_wcB I have a lathe so I was able to ream out the hole slightly to accept the M8 screws. I am sure you can find some on Amazon. Best of luck!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
These are the washers I used. https://www.parts-express.com/Middle...caAsFHEALw_wcB I have a lathe so I was able to ream out the hole slightly to accept the M8 screws. I am sure you can find some on Amazon. Best of luck!
Are you serious? Did you actually try the screws on this rack? Mine are a bit close.

Geek Stands and how a missing part is ^@#ing me #@!-rackscrewsclose.jpg
My camera not so sharp either
Ouch, $30 poof! This has not been a fun experience
Attached Thumbnails
Geek Stands and how a missing part is ^@#ing me #@!-rackscrewsclose.jpg  
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
Are you serious? Did you actually try the screws on this rack? Mine are a bit close.


My camera not so sharp either
Ouch, $30 poof! This has not been a fun experience
So buy some M6 screws with smaller heads. No problems here. Everything fits well.

I guess next time purchase a rack from Middle Atlantic and pay three times the price for the rack. This so far, in my case, is a win-win situation.

Sorry you are having problems...
Old 1 day ago
  #20
That looks to be a very annoying issue! I get hightly ticked off when you buy something and the parts don't align or fit well. Lack of QC for sure!

I bought a synth stand many years ago and there were missing holes for the height adjustment. I had to use a drill to make the stand adjustable!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
So buy some M6 screws with smaller heads. No problems here. Everything fits well.

I guess next time purchase a rack from Middle Atlantic and pay three times the price for the rack. This so far, in my case, is a win-win situation.

Sorry you are having problems...
You said you got this rack and recommended these.

I'm annoyed $30 and time is wasted and you're kind of like "sorry you feel that way"... not too cool bro...
d really appreciate you
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
You said you got this rack and recommended these.

I'm annoyed $30 and time is wasted and you're kind of like "sorry you feel that way"... not too cool bro...
d really appreciate you
I am not having the problem you are having. I don't have a lot of 1 and 2 space rack gear and so the screws fit and work well. This rack is fine for what I am using it for. I have a Tascam 34 mounted in the top and a rack with two -10 to +4 converters and a power strip mounted in the bottom rack. I am truly sorry you are having problems. I guess it is the difference in what we both are trying to rack mount.
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I am not having the problem you are having. I don't have a lot of 1 and 2 space rack gear and so the screws fit and work well. This rack is fine for what I am using it for. I have a Tascam 34 mounted in the top and a rack with two -10 to +4 converters and a power strip mounted in the bottom rack. I am truly sorry you are having problems. I guess it is the difference in what we both are trying to rack mount.
Easy, tiger
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump