The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moaning about the House!
Old 2 weeks ago
Last year a mother raccoon and her babies were nesting in the Maple tree which is 20 feet from the side of the house. Earlier this Spring, I saw two adult raccoons walking in my back yard! They are all cute until they start crossing that red line.

I climbed up into the attic the other day and stayed up there for about 20 minutes just looking around and listening for any babies. I didn't see or heard anything so I'm hoping that means that it left. I also haven't heard any more scratching noises like I did a few days ago.

Today I was moaning about the lawn! I had to mow as the grass was getting about 10" tall. I looked all around the house and inspected the soffits and didn't see any entry holes or signs of damage.

Eventually I will need to cut down the Maple tree, actually there are two but it costs about 5K for each tree. One of the branches overhangs the roof and I'm suspecting that's how the raccoons are getting on the roof.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

yes, over hang branches are a common path for critters onto a domicile
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

in my area it is actually illegal to trap and relocate wild animals
terminating them if unprotected species is OK...
otherwise foisted on someone else's backyard...
etc.
as mentioned earlier, studies ( for what they're worth)
more than half transplanted pests die soon after driving them however far away...sad.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️

Eventually I will need to cut down the Maple tree, actually there are two but it costs about 5K for each tree. One of the branches overhangs the roof and I'm suspecting that's how the raccoons are getting on the roof.
5K to cut down a tree? I'm in the wrong profession! That sounds like robbery.

I typically cut 10+ trees/yr on my property. Then again I'm not in a residential area with close neighbours etc. I can deal with most trees even the ones that overhang or the leaners with ropes, chains and pulleys and lots of careful planning.

Not suggesting you try this yourself if you don't have years of experience, but it was just shocking to see that amount.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps ➡️
All my "real" guns have been stolen over the years either thru break ins or once with my own rifle put against the back of my head when I interrupted a robbery in progress.

g
Good grief man! That's crazy!

On the topic of firearms, I find it so strange that you have to have a license and all sorts of paperwork to buy a gun, but you can walk into any sporting goods store and buy a crossbow with some broadhead arrows (think like 4 razor blades on the end of an arrow) no questions asked just like you'd buy a candy bar. Mine has 138 lb ft of knockdown power and about 100yd max range. That's enough power to take down a bear. It's way more deadly than a .22 (though less range and accuracy - though it is scary accurate within 50yds for me which is usually far enough)

Not sure if it's that way everywhere, but no license required for that here. It just seems like there are so many inconsistencies in regulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom ➡️

I typically cut 10+ trees/yr on my property. Then again I'm not in a residential area with close neighbours etc. I can deal with most trees even the ones that overhang or the leaners with ropes, chains and pulleys and lots of careful planning.

Not suggesting you try this yourself if you don't have years of experience, but it was just shocking to see that amount.
That's what I said too, what a rip-off! It is a lot of work though, even for a team of six. If I didn't have neighbors living so close, I might have tried doing it myself but it would take forever to chop it in sections afterward.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's what I said too, what a rip-off! It is a lot of work though, even for a team of six. If I didn't have neighbors living so close, I might have tried doing it myself but it would take forever to chop it in sections afterward.
It may be worth calling around, even a bit outside of your area. Or reduce their scope of services. Get them to simply fell the tree and leave it, then post an ad for free firewood. Guaranteed, someone will show up with a truck and a saw and it will disappear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good grief man! That's crazy!

Well, that was one of 5 times I've had a gun pointed at me. Plus, when I was 16 my girlfriends father took a shot at me...luckily he was drunk and a bad shot. All because her girlfriends wrote on a mirror in her house suggesting we had sex that day...we didn't.

g
Lives for gear

Quote:
Last year a mother raccoon and her babies were nesting in the Maple tree which is 20 feet from the side of the house. Earlier this Spring, I saw two adult raccoons walking in my back yard! They are all cute until they start crossing that red line.

I climbed up into the attic the other day and stayed up there for about 20 minutes just looking around and listening for any babies. I didn't see or heard anything so I'm hoping that means that it left. I also haven't heard any more scratching noises like I did a few days ago.

Today I was moaning about the lawn! I had to mow as the grass was getting about 10" tall. I looked all around the house and inspected the soffits and didn't see any entry holes or signs of damage.

Have you been able to cover the hole in your roof to make sure nothing else can get in?

I don't know how much noise a baby raccoon makes, so they may be there. Look really carefully. Bring your cell phone up with you; in my attic you have to crawl as it's so shallow, and you don't want to get caught up there without being able to call someone to say you're stuck. And watch out for raccoon poo as it's highly toxic.

As for your trees....$5K is ridiculous. Why not cut down the branches and get an artist with a chain saw to make the remaining trunks into sculptures? Better yet, carve them into gigantic phalluses and embarass the county into removing them for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️
Have you been able to cover the hole in your roof to make sure nothing else can get in?

I don't know how much noise a baby raccoon makes, so they may be there. Look really carefully. Bring your cell phone up with you; in my attic you have to crawl as it's so shallow, and you don't want to get caught up there without being able to call someone to say you're stuck. And watch out for raccoon poo as it's highly toxic.

As for your trees....$5K is ridiculous. Why not cut down the branches and get an artist with a chain saw to make the remaining trunks into sculptures? Better yet, carve them into gigantic phalluses and embarass the county into removing them for free.
The roofing company tech that did the inspection covered the hole as best he could with the broken shingles that were scattered near the damage. I haven't seen those shingles disturbed, but I'm still quite concerned that a critter may be in the attic. I can't see the floor of the attic as it's covered with about 18" of loose blown cellulose insulation. I'll go back in and check the attic tomorrow.

Yesterday we had lots of wind and tomorrow rain is in the forecast, it'll be another stressful day.:(

The roofing company is going to cut the large branch that overhangs the roof, but that's about it in regards to the tree. I think I'm going to cut the two pines that are in the flowerbed which is right next to the house. That's how the squirrels get up on the roof. It's a bit strange how little animals that you find to be cute, suddenly become a pesky critter when they start encroaching on the house!
Lives for gear

Quote:
The roofing company tech that did the inspection covered the hole as best he could with the broken shingles that were scattered near the damage. I haven't seen those shingles disturbed, but I'm still quite concerned that a critter may be in the attic. I can't see the floor of the attic as it's covered with about 18" of loose blown cellulose insulation. I'll go back in and check the attic tomorrow.

Yesterday we had lots of wind and tomorrow rain is in the forecast, it'll be another stressful day.:(

The roofing company is going to cut the large branch that overhangs the roof, but that's about it in regards to the tree. I think I'm going to cut the two pines that are in the flowerbed which is right next to the house. That's how the squirrels get up on the roof. It's a bit strange how little animals that you find to be cute, suddenly become a pesky critter when they start encroaching on the house!
Cover the hole with a tarp and keep it there with bricks (or something) about the edges. It has to start from the peak of your roof, but in your case it's there so that's ok.

Squirrels can definitely get into your house too. We had one situation where a pest control guy came along and he had a big scar on his arm. We asked if it was from a raccoon, and he said it was from a squirrel.

So yeah, get rid of or cut down any tree near the house. You now know what hell a critter in the house can be like.

Hopefully no mice got in the hole either. I despise rodents.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
I was terrorized last night!!! The critter returned to the attic and was scratching up a storm!

Earlier in the afternoon I heard it scratching the ceiling above my cat's bedroom. That's also where the hatch access is for the attic. I climbed the ladder and unzipped the hood cover but I must have frightened the creature because I no longer heard any sound. It's so frustrating, I can't see anything unusual due to all the insulation. After I climbed back down I heard it walking away from the area where I heard it.

The evening was the worst, The scratching noises were so loud, it sounded like someone was rummaging inside the house. I barely got any sleep. After a while, it must have climbed unto the rafters and out the hole on the roof.

Every other day, the critter seems to return. The roofers are coming to replace the roof tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that the critter doesn't get trapped. My plan is to get a cage just in case and bait it with juicy apples.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hopefully no mice got in the hole either. I despise rodents.
I know what you mean. The tiny ones, especially, are so hard to shoot. :-)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was terrorized last night!!! The critter returned to the attic and was scratching up a storm!

Earlier in the afternoon I heard it scratching the ceiling above my cat's bedroom. That's also where the hatch access is for the attic. I climbed the ladder and unzipped the hood cover but I must have frightened the creature because I no longer heard any sound. It's so frustrating, I can't see anything unusual due to all the insulation. After I climbed back down I heard it walking away from the area where I heard it.

The evening was the worst, The scratching noises were so loud, it sounded like someone was rummaging inside the house. I barely got any sleep. After a while, it must have climbed unto the rafters and out the hole on the roof.

Every other day, the critter seems to return. The roofers are coming to replace the roof tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that the critter doesn't get trapped. My plan is to get a cage just in case and bait it with juicy apples.
That sounds like my experience. Those things are nocturnal. It was awful. If you can, during the day today, cover the hole in the roof so it can't get back in tonight. Maybe one or two pieces of plywood with a brick on them so the critter can't move the plywood.

Prior to covering up the hole in the roof, if it's in there right now, you need to go for the nuclear option. Send white noise upwards as loudly as possible to try as hard as possible to make it leave asap. You really want that thing out of there before the new roof goes on. Even if you think it's not there now, it may be worth trying just to be safe. THEN cover the hole with plywood.

I'd also suggest the roofers cover the hole with a sheet of aluminum (or something solid like that) prior to putting down the shingles. That's what my roofer did.

Now, if the critter is still in there now and it gets trapped, that's a sticky wicket. You'd have to trap it and bring it out via the access to the attic inside your house. That would not be fun; those things stink like hell and can be nasty. Hopefully the cage fits through that access, elsewise that'll be a whole lot of misery.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Earlier in the afternoon I heard it scratching the ceiling above my cat's bedroom.
I'd like to pause the moan for a minute and appreciate the fact that your cat has a bedroom.

I had rats for a while in my attic space too and then I found their access point and trimmed the trees back. Mercifully they've stopped getting in, though I see a little hunched silhouette at times scurrying across my roof to get to the bushes on the other side.
Angry

Quote:
That sounds like my experience. Those things are nocturnal. It was awful. If you can, during the day today, cover the hole in the roof so it can't get back in tonight. Maybe one or two pieces of plywood with a brick on them so the critter can't move the plywood.

Prior to covering up the hole in the roof, if it's in there right now, you need to go for the nuclear option. Send white noise upwards as loudly as possible to try as hard as possible to make it leave asap. You really want that thing out of there before the new roof goes on. Even if you think it's not there now, it may be worth trying just to be safe. THEN cover the hole with plywood.

I'd also suggest the roofers cover the hole with a sheet of aluminum (or something solid like that) prior to putting down the shingles. That's what my roofer did.

Now, if the critter is still in there now and it gets trapped, that's a sticky wicket. You'd have to trap it and bring it out via the access to the attic inside your house. That would not be fun; those things stink like hell and can be nasty. Hopefully the cage fits through that access, elsewise that'll be a whole lot of misery.
A couple of days ago, I had the new roof installed. Where the opening was, it wasn't a hole per say, it was the gap that meets at the pointy edge of the roof. It was covered with a new ridge vent. The work was so loud and the house shook quite a bit as the shingle packages where being redistributed and thrown down after being picked up. There were six workers walking about and hammering for what seemed endless hours. The finished roof looks great. 👍

To my dismay, more bad luck rained upon my head! My AC unit upstairs stopped cooling and it got hot as hell. Actually it happened the night before the roof got installed. I was forced to sleep downstairs on the couch and I slept like crap. Anyway, back to part two of my demise: the night after the roof was installed, I was again terrorized by the raccoon scratching and pacing in the attic! You can't really appreciate this mental agony unless you yourself undergo the experience. It's a true mental torture. It was about midnight when it began. I grabbed my flashlight and walked around the house shining it unto the roof hoping to see something. I could hear several critters scampering, their little feet scratching the shingles as they ran to avoid the light from the torch. I didn't see them but it sounded like two of them.

I saw what appeared to be a rectangular black sticker with two fluorescent green dots stuck on one of the soffits. I must have walked two or three times around the house trying to get a glimpse of the critters. I thought the sticker was left by one of the workers, perhaps a company logo or something. I kept staring at it as the fluorescent dots looked like those of a green laser. They were very bright, small & green. As my eyes adjusted to the night, what I thought was a sticker, now was no longer rectangular in shape. No, this was different, the shape was morphing into a more rounded shape. Then I saw it clearly! It was a raccoon head with piercing green eyes!

The critter must have gotten trapped in the attic, as you said, and was becoming overheated. It was a very hot evening. The raccoon poked a hole in the aluminum soffit vent. Damn the bad luck! I bought a live animal trap and set it up in the attic. So far, nothing is biting. I've been checking it daily.

Today I had the large Maple tree next to the house cut down. So far, no noises from the roof or attic since the raccoon poked a hole to get fresh air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that it got out and didn't decide to return. No sound of crying offspring either in the attic.

Today I went to Home Depot and bought some Critter Ridder which is an animal deterrent, not a poison. I also picked up some ammonia and vinegar to spray beneath the gutter downspouts. Not only were the critters getting on the roof via the tree, but they were also climbing from the ground and unto the downspouts. I lathered a large portion with some Vaseline so that the Critter Ridder material would stick.

I've been listening through a stethoscope placed against the walls and so far no tormenting sounds. Before, you could clearly hear the critter walking and scratching.

On Monday the AC man comes to the rescue! I also hired the same roofing company to repair the soffit vent and to place steel plating on all the soffits where they join to the roof line. That will prevent any critters from clawing and pushing their way in.

This has been a very expensive lesson so I hope this will help any homeowners take preventive measures, if you live in an area where critters are prevalent.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
So sorry to hear about your animal invaders...I had to cut down two beautiful large/tall Arborvitae bushes next to my house when the raccoons were using them as ladders to my roof. My next door neighbor had to have a whole family of squirrels removed from his soffiting and my back store neighbor had to have a whole family of raccoons removed from their attic. Wild animals can do a lot of damage and spread diseases. Glad you got your problem under control.

BTW taking raccoons to a different part of your town or city is both unlawful in many localities and doesn't work. They usually can find their way back. I am not suggesting killing them but...it is sometimes the only way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
A couple of days ago, I had the new roof installed. Where the opening was, it wasn't a hole per say, it was the gap that meets at the pointy edge of the roof. It was covered with a new ridge vent. The work was so loud and the house shook quite a bit as the shingle packages where being redistributed and thrown down after being picked up. There were six workers walking about and hammering for what seemed endless hours. The finished roof looks great. ������

To my dismay, more bad luck rained upon my head! My AC unit upstairs stopped cooling and it got hot as hell. Actually it happened the night before the roof got installed. I was forced to sleep downstairs on the couch and I slept like crap. Anyway, back to part two of my demise: the night after the roof was installed, I was again terrorized by the raccoon scratching and pacing in the attic! You can't really appreciate this mental agony unless you yourself undergo the experience. It's a true mental torture. It was about midnight when it began. I grabbed my flashlight and walked around the house shining it unto the roof hoping to see something. I could hear several critters scampering, their little feet scratching the shingles as they ran to avoid the light from the torch. I didn't see them but it sounded like two of them.

I saw what appeared to be a rectangular black sticker with two fluorescent green dots stuck on one of the soffits. I must have walked two or three times around the house trying to get a glimpse of the critters. I thought the sticker was left by one of the workers, perhaps a company logo or something. I kept staring at it as the fluorescent dots looked like those of a green laser. They were very bright, small & green. As my eyes adjusted to the night, what I thought was a sticker, now was no longer rectangular in shape. No, this was different, the shape was morphing into a more rounded shape. Then I saw it clearly! It was a raccoon head with piercing green eyes!

The critter must have gotten trapped in the attic, as you said, and was becoming overheated. It was a very hot evening. The raccoon poked a hole in the aluminum soffit vent. Damn the bad luck! I bought a live animal trap and set it up in the attic. So far, nothing is biting. I've been checking it daily.

Today I had the large Maple tree next to the house cut down. So far, no noises from the roof or attic since the raccoon poked a hole to get fresh air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that it got out and didn't decide to return. No sound of crying offspring either in the attic.

Today I went to Home Depot and bought some Critter Ridder which is an animal deterrent, not a poison. I also picked up some ammonia and vinegar to spray beneath the gutter downspouts. Not only were the critters getting on the roof via the tree, but they were also climbing from the ground and unto the downspouts. I lathered a large portion with some Vaseline so that the Critter Ridder material would stick.

I've been listening through a stethoscope placed against the walls and so far no tormenting sounds. Before, you could clearly hear the critter walking and scratching.

On Monday the AC man comes to the rescue! I also hired the same roofing company to repair the soffit vent and to place steel plating on all the soffits where they join to the roof line. That will prevent any critters from clawing and pushing their way in.

This has been a very expensive lesson so I hope this will help any homeowners take preventive measures, if you live in an area where critters are prevalent.
Geez.....you're not having luck with the critter(s). It sounds like there's still one in there. Maybe that's the one that scratched through the soffit to try and escape?

I remember hearing a raccoon on my roof at my last house. I went outside and flashed a flashlight on the roof and saw two red eyes. I seriously considered getting a pellet gun to at least scare the thing away. One neighbour put a small dish of bacon grease laced with lots of cayenne pepper on the roof to try to dissuade the critter. That neighbour was an idiot though.

The first thing you need to do is get that thing out of your attic. I really don't know what to suggest, but maybe repairing the soffit is a bit premature? You want to give the critter a way to escape, but that leaves the soffit open for other critters. Trapping the thing in the attic and bringing it out through your door to the attic may be your only solution; I sure wouldn't want to do that. I would still try hitting it with white noise too.

And like Thomas says, there may be only one way to dispose of the critter. Having a raccoon in the attic is a truly awful thing to experience.

BTW- it snowed here Friday afternoon. I don't get out much, and it's rare that it's below freezing, but it's cold when I'm out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
So sorry to hear about your animal invaders...I had to cut down two beautiful large/tall Arborvitae bushes next to my house when the raccoons were using them as ladders to my roof. My next door neighbor had to have a whole family of squirrels removed from his soffiting and my back store neighbor had to have a whole family of raccoons removed from their attic. Wild animals can do a lot of damage and spread diseases. Glad you got your problem under control.

BTW taking raccoons to a different part of your town or city is both unlawful in many localities and doesn't work. They usually can find their way back. I am not suggesting killing them but...it is sometimes the only way.
I don't like to have to cut down a perfectly fine tree, but I felt I had no other choice. It was either the tree or the welfare of my home. I also cut down two beautiful landscaping pines that were planted right next to the house. It's a shame, I really liked those pines a lot but just as you said they were conduits for access to the roof by the critters.

Quote:
Geez.....you're not having luck with the critter(s). It sounds like there's still one in there. Maybe that's the one that scratched through the soffit to try and escape?

I remember hearing a raccoon on my roof at my last house. I went outside and flashed a flashlight on the roof and saw two red eyes. I seriously considered getting a pellet gun to at least scare the thing away. One neighbour put a small dish of bacon grease laced with lots of cayenne pepper on the roof to try to dissuade the critter. That neighbour was an idiot though.

The first thing you need to do is get that thing out of your attic. I really don't know what to suggest, but maybe repairing the soffit is a bit premature? You want to give the critter a way to escape, but that leaves the soffit open for other critters. Trapping the thing in the attic and bringing it out through your door to the attic may be your only solution; I sure wouldn't want to do that. I would still try hitting it with white noise too.

And like Thomas says, there may be only one way to dispose of the critter. Having a raccoon in the attic is a truly awful thing to experience.

BTW- it snowed here Friday afternoon. I don't get out much, and it's rare that it's below freezing, but it's cold when I'm out.
I really think the raccoon got out. The attic has been totally quiet for three nights in a row. Since I sprayed the Ammonia around my house and placed Critter Ridder on the downspouts, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't return. Nothing has attempted to go in the cage and it's totally silent when I go inside the attic. It's a great feeling of peace, like a storm that has passed.

A 30" aluminum plate will be placed on 4 soffits at the intersection of the soffit/roofline area. This will keep the critters from breaking into the attic.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom ➡️

It cost me 4K to have a tree cut down in my back yard. The tree company used a crane to hoist the cut up tree over my house (very scary to watch) . The tree was about 60 feet tall and was starting to interact with the power lines causing the tree to burn when the limb contracted the power lines. I came home one night and there were my neighbors and the fire department in my back yard looking on as the tree burned. The fire department could not put out the fire since the power lines were high voltage. A week later the tree was gone and the stump ground down.

I had a friend who had a cottage in the Adirondacks. He had a very large tree in his front yard that was dead. It was about 3 feet in diameter and about 80 feet tall. My friend wanted it taken down for safety reasons and called a couple of tree companies in the area and they all wanted lots of $$$ to take it down. The last call he made was to a local tree company and the owner came out and said "well I can only give you 10K for the tree if that works for you" My friend thought he was misunderstanding the guy but it turned out this tree was "Black Walnut" tree and worth a lot of money. The tree was taken down and my friend made some money on the deal. Go figure...
Quote:
It cost me 4K to have a tree cut down in my back yard. The tree company used a crane to hoist the cut up tree over my house (very scary to watch) . The tree was about 60 feet tall and was starting to interact with the power lines causing the tree to burn when the limb contracted the power lines. I came home one night and there were my neighbors and the fire department in my back yard looking on as the tree burned. The fire department could not put out the fire since the power lines were high voltage. A week later the tree was gone and the stump ground down.

I had a friend who had a cottage in the Adirondacks. He had a very large tree in his front yard that was dead. It was about 3 feet in diameter and about 80 feet tall. My friend wanted it taken down for safety reasons and called a couple of tree companies in the area and they all wanted lots of $$$ to take it down. The last call he made was to a local tree company and the owner came out and said "well I can only give you 10K for the tree if that works for you" My friend thought he was misunderstanding the guy but it turned out this tree was "Black Walnut" tree and worth a lot of money. The tree was taken down and my friend made some money on the deal. Go figure...
Trees close to homes are quite dangerous. You always hear stories on the news about trees falling down on top of houses. I always get a little spooked when there are gusty winds in my area.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really think the raccoon got out. The attic has been totally quiet for three nights in a row. Since I sprayed the Ammonia around my house and placed Critter Ridder on the downspouts, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't return. Nothing has attempted to go in the cage and it's totally silent when I go inside the attic. It's a great feeling of peace, like a storm that has passed.

A 30" aluminum plate will be placed on 4 soffits at the intersection of the soffit/roofline area. This will keep the critters from breaking into the attic.
Let's hope that is it, finally. People don't realize how awful it is with one of those in your attic.

Quote:
Trees close to homes are quite dangerous. You always hear stories on the news about trees falling down on top of houses. I always get a little spooked when there are gusty winds in my area.
My neighbourhood (all bungalows) has been around for 62 years, so there's some pretty big trees. One little old lady has a massive maple in her front yard- probably about seven stories high. It's in great shape, but when it goes it'll be a scary job. And she's got one in her back yard just as big. Interestingly, the little old lady is the aunt of Grammy-nominated GS member Philip Bova. She's super nice too.

About a year after I moved here there was a wind storm and a huge tree fell between two houses; they were very lucky. The next day all my neighbours were out with chain saws. It's kind of weird when every single neighbour has a chain saw.

There's a house near me that's being rented out that has had several cars/visitors there during the pandemic, and it's always made me wonder what the heck is going on. I learned two days ago that they're running an illegal car repair biz and selling cars on the property. I also heard that people there were involved with a hit-and-run. No one knows if the owner is aware, but the guy across the street from the place is starting up a process to get a zoning infraction on the people/place. He has a very young son that he's worried about and he's almost to the point of selling their house. The owner of the rental property either doesn't know or doesn't care, especially as the place is supposedly full of mold. He also owns the house behind it, and we're worried he'll tear them down and put in some multi-unit behemoth that'll ruin the neighbourhood.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The owner of the rental property either doesn't know or doesn't care, especially as the place is supposedly full of mold. He also owns the house behind it, and we're worried he'll tear them down and put in some multi-unit behemoth that'll ruin the neighbourhood.
Neighbors, man it's the same no matter where you go. We left LA for the pandemic as we have a property in the high desert. Everyone is on 5 acres out here, but I swear to you it's all of the same problems. Junk piled up on one side. People with 10 dogs and 8 RVs kitty-corner. Then the nice house next to us sells and now we're terrified it's going to be some AirBnB party house. Just can't escape it!
Quote:
Let's hope that is it, finally. People don't realize how awful it is with one of those in your attic.

My neighbourhood (all bungalows) has been around for 62 years, so there's some pretty big trees. One little old lady has a massive maple in her front yard- probably about seven stories high. It's in great shape, but when it goes it'll be a scary job. And she's got one in her back yard just as big. Interestingly, the little old lady is the aunt of Grammy-nominated GS member Philip Bova. She's super nice too.

About a year after I moved here there was a wind storm and a huge tree fell between two houses; they were very lucky. The next day all my neighbours were out with chain saws. It's kind of weird when every single neighbour has a chain saw.

There's a house near me that's being rented out that has had several cars/visitors there during the pandemic, and it's always made me wonder what the heck is going on. I learned two days ago that they're running an illegal car repair biz and selling cars on the property. I also heard that people there were involved with a hit-and-run. No one knows if the owner is aware, but the guy across the street from the place is starting up a process to get a zoning infraction on the people/place. He has a very young son that he's worried about and he's almost to the point of selling their house. The owner of the rental property either doesn't know or doesn't care, especially as the place is supposedly full of mold. He also owns the house behind it, and we're worried he'll tear them down and put in some multi-unit behemoth that'll ruin the neighbourhood.
My cat was running around upstairs and I cringed thinking the raccoon had returned. Luckily it was just the cat. Still, the experience is enough to give anyone a small dose of traumatic stress syndrome.

At night, I make my rounds upstairs and I use my stethoscope against the wall to listen in. When the raccoon was in the attic, I could hear it with the stethoscope. Tonight will be the 4th or 5th day that I haven't detected any scurrying sounds coming from the attic. Keeping fingers crossed. The roofing company is coming tomorrow to reinforce the soffits with solid aluminum plating.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
Neighbors, man it's the same no matter where you go. We left LA for the pandemic as we have a property in the high desert. Everyone is on 5 acres out here, but I swear to you it's all of the same problems. Junk piled up on one side. People with 10 dogs and 8 RVs kitty-corner. Then the nice house next to us sells and now we're terrified it's going to be some AirBnB party house. Just can't escape it!
There is a wise saying: you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your neighbours.
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a wise saying: you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your neighbours.
But can you pick your neighbor's nose?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My cat was running around upstairs and I cringed thinking the raccoon had returned. Luckily it was just the cat. Still, the experience is enough to give anyone a small dose of traumatic stress syndrome.

At night, I make my rounds upstairs and I use my stethoscope against the wall to listen in. When the raccoon was in the attic, I could hear it with the stethoscope. Tonight will be the 4th or 5th day that I haven't detected any scurrying sounds coming from the attic. Keeping fingers crossed. The roofing company is coming tomorrow to reinforce the soffits with solid aluminum plating.
Hopefully it got out and did not die in your attic. I had a friend who had a raccoon die in his attic and the smell was horrific. Let's hope your raccoon was smart enough to get out...before the roof got sealed up.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Hopefully it got out and did not die in your attic. I had a friend who had a raccoon die in his attic and the smell was horrific. Let's hope your raccoon was smart enough to get out...before the roof got sealed up.
Yes, I've been checking the attic once a day to check and listen for any chittering sounds or any unusual smells. In the past, I've run across many dead animals in the countryside and once you smell decomposition you never forget it. I'll be calling animal control at the earliest detection should it occur.

BTW, another peaceful evening yesterday. It was quite hot too but since my upstairs AC unit is out of commission, I had to sleep downstairs. The AC unit is kaput beyond repair and I've ordered a 2ton unit to replace it.

I got the triple whammy of moans about the house!

First the hole in the roof and damage to the soffit covers, then the cost of the tree service, and now my AC unit!

Thankfully everything is getting fixed and it's a nice feeling to have the rain stay out of the inside of the house.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

A House is always hungry for attention. I have been a Home Inspector in a past life, seen some funky shjt...
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice keetee ➡️
A House is always hungry for attention. I have been a Home Inspector in a past life, seen some funky shjt...
It's like owning a boat. Break out another thousand!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…