The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Don't want no more of the selling game.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I've slowed right down with ebay, the higher and higher fees and this new way of paying you can go get stuffed. Now when you sell something they take the money straight away and make you wait 3 to 5 business days for it to be deposited into your chosen bank account, and they take their fee straight away too. So when you sell your item, ebay get's paid before anyone, they also expect you to ship the item straight away even tho you've not been paid a cent.

Some people need the payment asap as it contains shipping costs needed to be used to send items. Not everyone has chunks of money ready to pay for shipping. Now all of this benefits ebay of course, the buyer next and you the seller last. I have no clue how they go about refunds if it all goes pear shaped and someone wants their money back..? you are supposed to what ask ebay for the money back including fees etc etc..

I have done $86k of business on ebay since 2005 but like everything they get sooooooo greedy and it just get's ruined by the greed.

I have used local selling lately to sell a couple of things and both times it went smooth, so far so good, and I was paid %100 of the sale no fees to anyone. Not as many eyes but patience is all that's needed.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpongled ➡️
nah i disagree. sure, if you're buying from an actual business it's fair enough... but a private sale? nah. people are busy, they have lives, work to go to etc., they might not have a chance to get out to post it for a few days. that's my expectation at least, as that is also my situation – i often physically can't get to the post office while it's open because my job gets in the way.
I sell loads and get stuff to the post office within 24hrs no matter what, if you intend to sell something have it boxed up ready with blank shipping label at home, it's not hard ffs. Not sending within 4 days is poor form.
Gear Head

4 days is fine if it's over a weekend when you can't ship or there's public holidays etc. I don't expect dedicated retail store shipping times from some guy selling stuff on ebay. Some sellers will state the specific day/s of the week they ship, I see that a lot with record sellers, so they're not going back and forth to the post office every day for one record at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
Yes all that..plus you have to give stuff away for it to actually sell.. No matter what it is actually worth .. If it isn't the best hot stuff people want it for pennies on the dollar..
People are advertising and selling for hundreds junk old samplers that were basically free five years ago, but I guess it depends what you're selling. It's extremely rare for me to find anything I want used at a price I'm willing to pay these days, sellers want top dollar and are actually getting it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I would recommend having all your shipping supplies, then ship within 1 to 2 business days of payment. I just buy the postage from Ebay and then drop off at my local fedex store. The service people get from Amazon and other retailers is what they mostly expect from private sellers too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r ➡️
I have been buying and selling on ebay for years, and more recently on reverb. I have sold as weighty things as TI keyboard, Nord Lead 3 keyboard, and who can remember what else. I have bought for years as well. Been ripped off two a half times, but mostly it has been fine.
Let me tell you I am done with it all, certainly with selling, and 95% of buying too. Just tonight, some ****face who I gave a $30 discount to on a new prof-built preenfm2 is whining to me about how it has been 4 days since he paid and what's up with shipping and this and that. They think they own you. And you can guess they will make trouble. I refunded him immediately and put it back up for sale.
I have a few items left for sale and I am glad to be done. I do have good feedback in case I need to sell more, but eveything has now reached equilibrium, with a final combined audio channel count of 108 (and the crowd goes wild, wooooo)
Yup it’s all bull****
Don’t worry, don’t take it personal as I think we have all been bashed for not sending item the next day.
Imagine now no more being robbed by those corporate ******s called eBay and PayPal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ebay, at least in the UK, don't force PayPal any more - they link straight to your bank account.

They run £1 fvf promos every fortnight.

If you've been on ebay long enough and kept in good standing you get concierge service.

The above means reverb could never compare. I've used gumtree and sos plenty of times too but ebay has the eager audience.

Yes there's plenty of halfwits but if you price it right BIN and sit tight you should be good. Drop the price a bit if it doesn't move, but send offers to your watchers first. Only relist on a new promo, calendar the expiry if needed.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If an item doesn't fit in a USPS flat rate box, you pretty much have to have the item already packed up to do an accurate estimate of your shipping cost. Between that and the standard Do Unto Others, 4 days is too long.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer ➡️
Nah. If you don't have means to fulfill your online sale in a timely manner then do business locally. Either that or be absolutely, irrefutably crystal clear up front about when you will ship. Don't take people's money and then waffle on your end of the deal. Four days without explicit up front comms is silly.

In the US, UPS will literally pick up a package for you off your doorstep for a minor upcharge. All you need is to print a label.
well i personally have no issues at all with someone taking four days to post something, i mean it's only a few days, it's not the end of the world. to each their own though
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, if you don't ship after 4 days you should 100% expect the buyer to be asking you questions about it. If I'm not able to ship it the next day I'm sending a message explaining what's going on and letting them know when it'll be shipped. If you don't want to do that then that's fine, but for sure you shouldn't be selling gear online.

I've slimmed my studio down to the bare essentials slowed way down on buying and selling stuff. Buying online and selling locally has been the best for me. Craigslist in the Pacific Northwest in the US has been a good place to find buyers. Takes anywhere from 2 hours to a month depending on the item and how willing I am to take less than top dollar. I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences and met many cool people.

Reverb has been good for me too as a buyer and a seller. I get that people don't want to pay fees, but they provide a worthwhile service. If you can make the deal a different way then go for it, but if they're the only way you found to reach a buyer then they earned their cut.

I haven't listed anything on eBay in years and doubt I ever will again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agree with the others, 4 days is too long. And you dropped the buyer for simply asking about it? They don't think they own you, they do think they now own the equipment and not like waiting until former owner eventually gets around without any notice or explanation to finally shipping it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I offer free postage (but factor in the cost to the BIN price). I say 2-4 days other courier, but then always send it as soon as paid, TNT next day for big stuff, royal mail by 1pm for small. The unexpected early light speed delivery and insanely well packed boxes always freak the buyer who then leaves fantastic feedback, and so we move on.

If you don't have a room full of sturdy boxes, multiple padding materials, tape guns, sharpies etc then it's not the game for you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
To turn this around, I wonder how savagely the OP would be slagging the buyer on GS as a deadbeat if he'd taken 4 days to pay for a purchase?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by odourboy ➡️
To turn this around, I wonder how savagely the OP would be slagging the buyer on GS as a deadbeat if he'd taken 4 days to pay for a purchase?
I do think that expectations have risen due to the whole Amazon thing, plus the fact that so many people have relatively little else to dwell on these days. Also, we just came off a period, in the US anyway, where shipping was hung up all over the country by weather -- adding another 4 days to that makes it even more aggravating.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Harder, harder. Beat me harder.
Btw, did u looozers neglect to read me say I was done with that ****? I know!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r ➡️
Harder, harder. Beat me harder.
Btw, did u looozers neglect to read me say I was done with that ****? I know!
I don't believe you. You wouldn't have posted this otherwise. You wanted people to agree with you and stroke your fragile ego. It was that ego thinking 4 days was unimportant to someone else that caused the issue. Because it was unimportant to you after you had payment. You were so full of your ego you couldn't put yourself in the buyer's shoes for a minute. You were relatively too important vs the buyer in your mind.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…