The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Big "Does It Matter if Your Hardware/Gear Sounds 20% Better - Nobody Can Tell Anyway" Debate
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
Money is better spent bribing the radio stations to play your music vs. buying newer or "better" hardware.
What's s radio station?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
What's s radio station?
It's that wireless audio thing. Some guy named Macaroni invented it last year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Too bad the world isn't diverse, sane and honest enough any longer so that one could engage in casual low-key bribing of radiostations. Today it won't work.

Radiostations and diversity of choice have been replaced by monolithic Silicon Valley tech and media conglomerates who get to decide who and what gets played. (Like they increasingly decide everything else in your life.)
The SV conglomerates have pre-defined requirements and if you don't fit into those requirements you have a problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What's s radio station?

I'm listening to a good one right now. Radio8 out of Dublin. Radio has made a resurgence amongst my friends, but we are all old. Most of us listen to WFUV.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall ➡️
I'm listening to a good one right now. Radio8 out of Dublin. Radio has made a resurgence amongst my friends, but we are all old. Most of us listen to WFUV.
The only radio I listen to is our local NPR affiliate, 88.5 WQED. For music, I’ll curate my own playlists, or have an algorithm do it based on the music in my library or that I’ve “taught” the A.I. by seeding a station, like Pandora. They’re way better at coming across music that I like than any radio station I’ve heard since the 90s when I used to listen to a college station that was really good.

What I really miss is small music stores with people who loved good music that worked in them. There was a store in Ithaca NY in the 90s with a guy in it who made a mental note of what I was looking at and what I purchased and he’d start ordering things specifically for me. He said that even though there was a no return policy, he’d let me return it if I didn’t like it. His picks were brilliant and I never did. It got to a point where I’d walk in and he’d just hand me CDs and I’d chat with him a bit, pay for them and leave. Those were the days...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only radio I listen to is our local NPR affiliate, 88.5 WQED. For music, I’ll curate my own playlists, or have an algorithm do it based on the music in my library or that I’ve “taught” the A.I. by seeding a station, like Pandora. They’re way better at coming across music that I like than any radio station I’ve heard since the 90s when I used to listen to a college station that was really good.

What I really miss is small music stores with people who loved good music that worked in them. There was a store in Ithaca NY in the 90s with a guy in it who made a mental note of what I was looking at and what I purchased and he’d start ordering things specifically for me. He said that even though there was a no return policy, he’d let me return it if I didn’t like it. His picks were brilliant and I never did. It got to a point where I’d walk in and he’d just hand me CDs and I’d chat with him a bit, pay for them and leave. Those were the days...
One of the nice things about modern times is being able to listen to stations from all over the world. The Apple algo does a pretty good job of picking things, but I still hear tons of stuff on the radio that I'd never hear otherwise.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliLunde89 ➡️
1. Do you tune your drum samples? Why? Nobody can tell on the dancefloor anyway people dont care

2. Do you compress your vocals? Why? Nobody can tell on the dancefloor anyway people dont care

3. Do you use hardware pedals for your guitar vs freebee vst distortion? Why? Nobody can tell on the dancefloor anyway people dont care

4. Do you even mix beyond like just some basic levels for a few minutes? Why? Nobody can tell on the dancefloor anyway people dont care
That's all the first 80%, not the last 20% lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The Tools does not make the producer a genius and vice versa.My point of view is...Equalization,Audio Compression,for me its the key...and talented musicians...does not matter if you are a Sampleheadbanger,Sampling the world...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If Moroder used a Big Moog for "I Feel Love" then big iron is for me. You cannot get a Moog VCF without using a real Moog.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon ➡️
The fact that B*llie E*lish is brought up as both “good production” and “good music” on this thread is the ultimate give away that some people are talking about one thing and others another thing altogether.
Exactly, her stuff is just pop garbage meant to saturate the airwaves, Britney spears did it way better years before, it's not something I'd open Spotify and listen to, there's so many good Pitchfork albums these days that are yes, harder to listen to, but way more gratifying.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➡️
[....]

When some dirtheads are congregating on the sidewalk in front, annoying us with their insipid conversation and littering, I just crank up the squirt guns with Verdi or Webern and the problem goes away tout suite.
tout de suite.

Last edited by Herr Weiss; 6 days ago at 04:19 PM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
tout de suite.
You must be fun at parties.
Instant block.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➡️
You must be fun at parties.
Instant block.
Silence is better than unmeaning words
~ Pythagoras
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
Silence is better than unmeaning words
~ Pythagoras
Yeah, but what would Pythagoras know?
~ The Business Model of the Entire Internet
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…