Name Change Petition - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Name Change Petition
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➡️
This has nothing to do with me wanting an independent Wales.
FREE SHAMU!!!
Old 16th January 2021
Deleted 72b6a74
Save Our Sausages.
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My goodness, just when I think the world has gone as soft, entitled and pathetic as it can get, this sort of snowflake convention pops up. Anyone who can't handle the oh so offending use of a word from the dictionary should look throughout the internet and when they have found all the offending words in website names, build a list and start a petition to change the 3 billion website names in one go. Either that, or just go away, and stop focusing on every little microscopic opportunity to get your butterfly wing feelings bent out of shape.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer ➡️
And at what point will the snowflake cancel culture PC's say "Ok, we've taken this far enough?"
When there's no more prejudice and there is equality for all.

The petition explains why a woman would have an issue with the name of this site, in the context of this industry. When did women after equal treatment become "snowflake cancel culture"?

Why are you addressing this issue, like many others in this thread, with such childish terminology that only seeks to belittle people, in this case women, for their problems with a website containing a derogatory slur in its name?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not offended. I think the GEARSLUTZ name is great.
Cancel culture, offence mob should do one.
This thread is not about a name.
It is about power, and wielding the power to force you do do something.
In the quest for the purely narcissistic supply of 'virtue'
Pure cancer.
How about you get off GEARSLUTZ and get involved with drawing attention to the the 1 1/2 million slaves in Chinese concentration camps, or helping out at your local hospice.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

It would still be a forum for discussing gear, but with a wider input and different voices.
Wait a sec.... since most people on this forum are using pseudonyms and show almost no personnal info on their profile, how did you evaluate the level of diversity ?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
"Stop online bullying"
Trying to pressure a site owner into changing their sites name through an on line petition
is harassment pure and simple.
Stay or go, everyone has the same choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
Wait a sec.... since most people on this forum are using pseudonyms and show almost no personnal info on their profile, how did you evaluate the level of diversity ?
By the fact that a petition was started to decry the exclusionary nature if the site
Old 16th January 2021
Deleted 72b6a74
"It would still be a forum for discussing gear, but with a wider input and different voices".

Deluded, to say the least.

Next I think Muff Wiggler is going to be targeted. That's clearly sexist too. Guess it isn't big enough though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy ➡️
"It would still be a forum for discussing gear, but with a wider input and different voices".

Deluded, to say the least.

Next I think Muff Wiggler is going to be targeted. That's clearly sexist too. Guess it isn't big enough though.
What’s deluded about it?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This site is NOT exclusionary.
Don't pretend it is.
This site is completely open, anonymous and free to use.

Some people are deaf, blind, can't read, mentally handicapped, born into extreme poverty with genetic disorders, life IS NOT FAIR, and you are attacking one of the most open and inclusive online communities on ideological grounds, on a quest to find some reason to feel good about yourself.

How is your intolerance making the world a better, more tolerant place?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 ➡️
When there's no more prejudice and there is equality for all.

The petition explains why a woman would have an issue with the name of this site, in the context of this industry. When did women after equal treatment become "snowflake cancel culture"?

Why are you addressing this issue, like many others in this thread, with such childish terminology that only seeks to belittle people, in this case women, for their problems with a website containing a derogatory slur in its name?
Being equal is the opposite of being diverse. Your posts come across as parody of the narracistic generation. It's embaressing to read.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
having just read Jules' statement on the issue, I think he made clear a lot of things that many are assuming, and did have in place a remedy for those who are concerned with the situation.
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The classical guitar shape is said to have been modeled after the female form. Maybe those should be next on the chopping block?
Deleted 531acb6
Quote:
It’s a man’s world. The odds are stacked in our favour without doubt. I don’t take any pleasure in saying that.
75 years ago you would have been correct - more so if qualifying with 'white'

However, I've been hired/promoted by women and/or LGTQB and/or BIPOC throughout my career - if it's truly a man's world, quite a few others are complacent.

Or maybe this is what you mean by a 'man's word:'

As of January 2016, there has been no decision to require females to register with Selective Service, or be subject to a future military draft. Selective Service continues to register only men, ages 18 through 25.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeKitten ➡️
(...)

I've not made a comment about other brands or companies using the term slut - I've had no issue being a member here, and I wouldn't refuse to buy an item from a company using the term if I thought the item it was cool! None the less, if they'd had a discussion kick off about the use of the word and how it could effect business i'd say pretty much the same thing as I did here.

The only possible difference would be that if it were a female owned company it'd likely be a very deliberate and pointed attempt at "re-claiming" or owning the term, and as a result they'd be more than aware of the baggage the word can carry for some of their customers. As a result my above comment/input would be mostly redundant - though that wouldn't change the observation.

(...)
Thank you for replying. I still fail to see how using the word "slut" to jokingly describe one's indulgence in shoes or clothes is different from using the same word to acknowledge one's silly obsession with music equipment. In both cases the intention is to poke fun, wink, and indulge.

GS is not advertising itself as "men only" forum and I have seen unacceptable posts disappear, quite likely deleted by their authors after a reprimand from the forum's moderator. Now, if anyone feels offended, hurt, attacked, they ought to report such occurrences to the moderator. Thing is, changing the domain name is not going to change people's behaviour and where a lot of people gather, you will get a few idiots.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
FREE SHAMU!!!
I just knew it was all about the independence of whales.
Gear Addict
Quote:
snip.
Am I the only one who thinks it is slightly ironic that you are so vehemently posting about this subject while having a username that contains the word "haze", which in some parts of the world refers to a very unpleasant type of behaviour that causes a lot of psychological damage?

As someone who was bullied as a kid I probably should take offence to that, but fortunately I can see the difference between unintentionally choosing a potentially offensive term for a name and doing so intentionally.

--

Well, I guess GearSlutz could be renamed to GearsLust...not entirely the same connotation, but at least we can keep using the same initials.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero ➡️
Folks who find the Women's Audio Mission sexist towards men, do you also feel that Black Lives Matter is racist towards Caucasians?
It's a category error comparing the two. They have fundamentally different goals and work differently.
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Time to lock this thread I'd say. In the meantime I look forward to the new audio gear forum where profiles are divied up by equal representation of each LBGTQ gender and skin colour. Just as MLK dreamed right.....?
Old 16th January 2021
Deleted 72b6a74
These cancel mobs are the most intolerant people on the planet, it's all about satisfying a desire to be something they are not. They are never satisfied. They would be better served getting an actual hobby and devoting their time to that, instead of cruising social media looking for things to be outraged about.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Audio industry is not more misogynist or sexist than any other industry. It is quite oposite! Same goes for Gearslutz.

Petitioners created fake news, twisted narrative, that whole audio industry and Gearslutz are paradise for male power, sexists and abusers. It is insult to whole community.

When petitioners are out of arguments, they attack with a fact, that there is very little females active in audio industry or on Gearslutz. At the end, they are even trying to make others responsible for their own feelings. How low this can go?

All who have signed just fell for the bait.

You cannot nurture lies.

Sad, that their energy was wasted here. It could be used somewhere, where it is really needed and well-founded. What a shame.
Quote:
I don't think the issue is the founder & moderators are necessarily against women. It's more they don't necessary understand the issue of sexism and how it appears on here.

In the electronic forum, there was a thing for "joke" threads that were really conduits for sexism through plausible deniability, "Its just a joke" after all.
Brands like Moog & Roland, who have featured women in their marketing in recent years do come under a lot of attack for it and those attacks will often spread to threads where it has nothing to do with that product.

Whilst not sexism, a racist slur was used against a member prominent in the guitar area of this forum, really upsetting this person who chose to have their account deleted because of it. I don't think the posts were deleted or any action taken against that member.

Instead of pretending this place is welcoming, Jules needs to really listen to the criticisms from those who do not feel welcome, why they feel that way and come up with a viable solution to it.
Dismissing the experiences of people who do have "slut" used against them to demean & belittle them through explaining that's just a joke was the worst possible to way to go about it. Whilst his intentions may not have been to be derogatory, which I totally believe, he has completely destroyed the idea that this is a welcoming place for woman through failing to acknowledge how this word is used against women. His intentions are not the issue.

A good start would be female moderators who will be able to recognise problematic threads & posts far more quickly.
I would like to know about the 2 threads you described as poorly moderated. Did you use the report post function? Please pm me about them so we can investigate.

Regarding female moderators we have one but would indeed like more.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
By the fact that a petition was started to decry the exclusionary nature if the site
I don't see how the site is exclusionary, and I don't know much about a person I'm talking to unless they choose to make it clear. Many times I've conversed with women (or girls) without knowing it. Didn't make a difference.

I also don't see how changing the name would change the nature of the site.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh ➡️
Am I the only one who thinks it is slightly ironic that you are so vehemently posting about this subject while having a username that contains the word "haze", which in some parts of the world refers to a very unpleasant type of behaviour that causes a lot of psychological damage?

As someone who was bullied as a kid I probably should take offence to that, but fortunately I can see the difference between unintentionally choosing a potentially offensive term for a name and doing so intentionally.

--

Well, I guess GearSlutz could be renamed to GearsLust...not entirely the same connotation, but at least we can keep using the same initials.
Haze's meaning in Amsterdam is also offensive to some. Quite a big fan of that one personally, but perfectly aware there's a time & place for that definition.

Nobody is arguing that Gearslutz was chosen intentionally to be derogatory, that has been repeated throughout this thread (This'll be the 3rd or 4th time from myself alone), it is the context & the environment & culture it exists within that creates the issue. Again this has been repeatedly address throughout this thread and in the petition.

So guess what, you're not doing anything the petition starter is incapable of doing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What on earth are you talking about?

This sort of **** is exactly the issue. No one would be asking to use poodles in marketing for musician instruments if it was men involved.

This is why this place needs a new approach to moderation so badly and why it has got to the point of a petition.
Yes. The WORD Police.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
The site name word-play is a ‘tease’ (in jest) of people that can’t stop buying recording equipment. There is no gender attached. (Nor implied)

Turns out the first use of the word that has been found was by Chaucer - to describe a scruffy man.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
I would like to know about the 2 threads you described as poorly moderated. Did you use the report post function? Please pm me about them so we can investigate.

Regarding female moderators we have one but would indeed like more.
This would be going back a little while as I did stop posting here and just lurked for a while, but if I can find what I'm referring to, I will happily let forward it to you. But certainly, some of the "joke" threads that appeared in the Electronic music forum were sexist and often left open for far too long, if they were even closed & not moved elsewhere.

But yeah, more female mods would make the biggest difference in my opinion. Some of the better Facebook groups I'm in that relate to this industry that have female moderators are far better than ones that are either not moderated or feature no women.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackURbody ➡️
Twitter contains the word "Twit". According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the word twit is "a silly annoying person" or "fool". I'm certain this could trigger victims of bullying and mental illness. I dont know about you, but I'm pretty offended right now, do you think I can get sufficient attention if I start a petition about this?

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/twit
Yes, of course. After all, they are making fun of people who are less advantaged than those who are fully advantaged?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
The site name word-play is a ‘tease’ (in jest) of people that can’t stop buying recording equipment. There is no gender attached. (Nor implied)

Turns out the first use of the word that has been found was by Chaucer - to describe a scruffy man.
I believe that is the true transliteration of the word, in any known language.
Closed