The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Demo-itis
Old 28th October 2002
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Angry Demo-itis

Hello, my name is 6X 2 and I'm a (sob) alcoholic...

No, I'm currently mixing an album for an artist who happens to be in a different country than me. Well, that's just part of the problem.

The artist has demo-itis.

I did rough mixes after the recording sessions and the artist doesn't seem to get over one of them. He wants to use it on the album. Oh, the artist is also the producer... The mix itself isn't total bollocks, but it's really nothing I'd like my name associated with: it's noisy, all the bv's are completely out of tune and it's generally just messy and the artist has decided it's the holy grail...

I don't know, maybe there is something magical about it, but to me it just sounds half finished.

I mixed the tune using the first draft mix as reference, they ended up sounding similar in the good points, the only thing is that my new mix didn't have the bad parts of the draft mix.

This isn't really a "what can I do"-thing, it's more to check how many sluts have been in the same position...

So... That's the story so far. I have a strange feeling that I'll be regular in the moan zone with this project...

6X 2
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
ahhh... demo envy

Been there and hate that dark and dismal place. I bet it's "mostly mental", perhaps it's time to call in Dr. Freud...
Old 28th October 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Try asking the artist to identify specifically what they liked about the demo vs the final. Try to meet them half way.
Old 29th October 2002
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
That's what I'm trying to do, but as the lead singer of the band is the producer (sic) and I'm 'just' the engineer, so eventually they do have the last word...

Dr. Freud would help me on this one, indeed. The song might be their next single and I used this as a point ("do you want that everybody hears out of tune backing vocals on the radio")...

Oh, BTW, they like the "warmth" of it...

We'll see...

6X 2
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
For this reason I've invented my alter ego, Joe Schmegidy. He's taken my credit on albums I didn't want to be recognized for. I once called the president of Sony Nashville to ask him to change my engineered/ mix credit to read Joe Schmengidy. It is my theory that for this album the mastering engineer, for medical purposes I'm sure, had drunk a gallon of whisky before he mastered it.

Film directors do this all the time. Ever seen an Alan Smithee film? That's the name they use.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…