The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving to NYC. Any suggestions?
Old 22nd October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Moving to NYC. Any suggestions?

Hi everybody. I am at a cross-roads in my life and was hoping that some of you experienced gearslutters might be able to give me some advice.

My name is Paul Santa Clara and for the last 3 years, I have maintained employment at a small commercial facility in Philadelphia by the name of the West Orange Laboratories. This relationship has recently culmanated in my appointment to their chief engineering position, a responsibility which I relish, but one that I feel is well on its way to pigeonholing me into the big fish/small pond scenario. As a result, I am investigating the idea of relocating to NYC in the hopes of continuing my career/education in more challenging and inspiring enviroment. Preferablly one with an ssl.

Now, obviously, I realize that my experience in Philadelphia is not of the scale of world class facility in NYC, and in that I am humbled. But nevertheless, I am a young, bright engineer in possession of a skillset that I am confident would allow me to make a positive contribution to whereever I might end up. The truth be told, the standard migratory demotion is of little consequence to me, if it affords the opportunity to work under and learn from some of the best minds and ears in the industry. I think that, above all, is paramount!

So I guess my question is how the hell should I go about searching for a job? Cold calls appear to be my only option, and although I am more than williing to attempt them, I suspect that it will yield a very low success rate. :/ Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about this insanity?

Thanks your for time. Any comments are appreciated. :P
-Paul

PS: To give you an idea of where I am coming from, my "responsibilities" at my current gig include an HD3 rig for tracking/editing; an Eventide Orville for reverb and multi-effects; and outboard signal processing for frequency/dynamics processing(Amek 9098 EQ, Avalon vt737, Distressor etc.)
Old 22nd October 2002
Founder

Prior to your search why dont you pay for a few days training from SSL on their consoles?

It will be expensive but look - AWESOME next to a recent date on your CV.

Are you prepared to drop back to gopher / runner status to get your foot in the door of a big NYC facility?

There is noting worse IMHO than an intern giving you the vibe "this is terrible! you dont UNDERSTAND! I am an ENGINEER!"

I would say a PT savvy intern with an SSL training course under their belt would be VERY ATTRACTIVE provided you:

Looked hip, young & fast in your feet with zero attitude about starting in a non engineering position to begin with.
Needed very little money
Were available 7 days a week without exception
Lived within under 1 hours (round the clock) commute

How are you fixed for all that?

Phone SSL.
Old 22nd October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
you dont UNDERSTAND! I am an ENGINEER!"

I would say a PT savvy intern with an SSL training course under their belt would be VERY ATTRACTIVE provided you:

Looked hip, young & fast in your feet
Well, I look like I have hips, used to be young, and could charitably be described as 'surprisingly fast on his feet, considering...' So NYC is not for me.
Old 27th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Jules,

Quote:
Prior to your search why dont you pay for a few days training from SSL on their consoles?

It will be expensive but look - AWESOME next to a recent date on your CV.

Are you prepared to drop back to gopher / runner status to get your foot in the door of a big NYC facility?

The ssl training is a very interesting idea but, unfortunately, I simply do not have the funds available to take this course of action. Nonetheless, the idea is a good one, and a friend of mine has graciously agreed to send me an extra g series manual of his which I will have to study the **** out of.

I was under the impression that most large facilities operated a 4 teir heirarchy: intern, general assitant, assistant engineer, and engineer. Placing me on the bottom rung with the nascent SAE grads would be a misappropriation of resources but if it was required for me establish trust, I guess I would just have to take the hit.

The irony is that I have only limited interest in tracking. It is mixing that is my strong suit and passion, but as I understand it, this is largely a matter of obtaining the right contacts... Is this correct? ie. I am going to have to relocate, work my way back through tracking, and then get back into mixing. lol What a pain in the ass!

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 27th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Looked hip, young & fast in your feet .
This is just silly. I look how I look and that is that. More importantly, I would have limited interesting seeking employment in any company concerned with such matters as I doubt this criteria is particulary conducive to a happy or healthy working enviroment.

-Paul
Old 27th October 2002
Founder

"I would have limited interesting seeking employment in any company concerned with such matters as I doubt this criteria is particulary conducive to a happy or healthy working enviroment."

When I employ an intern / junior in my music facility I look for these qualities.

The ability to help load in back line gear and not struggle
Look cool (but not senior) within the musician scene
Look able to 'zip around' quickly to fetch mic's leads etc... / not be a slouch...

So all the past (3) assistants I have emplyed - Looked hip, young & fast on their feet.

This isn't a transgression of any employmenyt law as far as I know or unreasonable IMHO.

I advise folks that go for interviews to look clean / hip /and slightly 'sporty' as if a quick dash off to the store wouldn't phase you.. (like not a suit)

Anyhow whats not clear what sort of position you seek, all the above applies to intern / gopher positions... What type of position ARE you trying to get? There are folks at or who use NYC studios all the time here on Gearslutz.... who can perhaps better advise you than me.
Old 27th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i think jules means dont look like a slob... and have some sense about your "fashion", if you have no sense about it... it might do you well to find a girl and have her "make" you over [gay guys work also]. it IS a professional enviroment and while you wont be wearing suits to work, you need proper casual attire to impress.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…