The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve's Portico compressor SMOKES
Old 30th April 2021 | Show parent
  #721
Lives for gear
 
nomoreflakes's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok ➡️
The thread that won't die, love it! I still have 2 units. Excel at transparent compression, while still having tone/glue. For that, they work on everything and busses of course.

I wonder if it could be modded to make the "input" meter show gain reduction for channel "A". It's annoying not be able to glance over and see gain reduction without pressing the channel select button.
thread will never die: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2000-00339-005
Old 4th August 2021 | Show parent
  #722
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm appreciating mine more and more lately. The VCA is fairly transparent in it's action, which works well for me on vocals...plus the sound you get in FB mode. On acoustic guitars it smooths out nicely.

I like it. It's kind of taking over where my LA2A (now sold) left off.
Old 12th August 2021
  #723
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Today I was fooling around with the unit on drums. I'm so used to using it in feedback mode on vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. I could never get a good drum sound on it. So....I had it in limit, lots of gain reduction...fastish attack, fastest release. Drums sounded ok...not great...as I was used to with this unit. Then, at these settings, I pressed the button to switch it into feed-forward mode, and suddenly the drums were smashing and exploding great!? It's more aggressive in feed-forward mode. I didn't realize this before.

I'd recommend anyone with one of these units (Portico 5043) to try it like this on drums. See what you think.
Old 14th August 2021 | Show parent
  #724
Lives for gear
 
augustusarnone's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
Today I was fooling around with the unit on drums. I'm so used to using it in feedback mode on vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. I could never get a good drum sound on it. So....I had it in limit, lots of gain reduction...fastish attack, fastest release. Drums sounded ok...not great...as I was used to with this unit. Then, at these settings, I pressed the button to switch it into feed-forward mode, and suddenly the drums were smashing and exploding great!? It's more aggressive in feed-forward mode. I didn't realize this before.

I'd recommend anyone with one of these units (Portico 5043) to try it like this on drums. See what you think.
That makes sense, in feedback mode the attack and release are adaptive and fluid. It sounds to me sort of like an opto, smooth and transparent glue. In feed forward you hear the envelope more, depending how hard you hit it. I think VCAs in feed fwd with a fast attack can be used a lot like one would use an 1176, which sounds to me what you're doing. I use my SSL channel dynamics like that all the time with modular synth percussion tracks.
Old 22nd August 2021 | Show parent
  #725
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone ➡️
That makes sense, in feedback mode the attack and release are adaptive and fluid. It sounds to me sort of like an opto, smooth and transparent glue. In feed forward you hear the envelope more, depending how hard you hit it. I think VCAs in feed fwd with a fast attack can be used a lot like one would use an 1176, which sounds to me what you're doing. I use my SSL channel dynamics like that all the time with modular synth percussion tracks.
Sorry I didn't see your reply till now! Yes, I was basically fooling around with it more on drums, and found a setting that I liked...using it more aggressively.
Old 22nd August 2021 | Show parent
  #726
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Earlier, the Neve pre's took a hit in this thread. I must weigh in to offer a defense, partly based on the following recording, which uses a 5024. Part of the general size of the vocal may come from the SE Gemini II mic she's using, and two KSM184 room mics off-camera. Warning--If you come from a hard rock background, you may hate this. Woman with acoustic guitar ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdeOeiaHc_Y

Music starts at 1:10, 8:30, and 18:35, interwoven with an interview of sorts.

But I also have a question. For this kind of situation, what compressor would you choose for the vocal? The guitar? (That may be a compressor visible over her left shoulder. I thought at first it might one of the ART VLA's, but the meters aren't the same.)

I'm loving the Neve pre's for this application. The presence and size and simplicity and clarity.

Last edited by Jake Johnson; 22nd August 2021 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Edited to correct the preamp, which was a 524, not the 5012, since it has more channels.
Old 3rd September 2021 | Show parent
  #727
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Here's a quick clip of mine crushing drums in FF mode/limit.
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
  #728
Lives for gear
 
nomoreflakes's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
Here's a quick clip of mine crushing drums in FF mode/limit.
great playing
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #729
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes ➡️
great playing
That's not me playing.
Old 23rd September 2021 | Show parent
  #730
Gear Nut
Aloha gearheadz,

I run into good deal for Alan Smart C1 B-stock. Is it worth selling my thrusted 5043 and investing into C1?
Is there anyone here who has the both comps and can point out differences in between two?

Some of top mixes I like have straped C1 across mix bus.

My current chain is
Phoenix Audio DRS Q4 - Neve 5043 - Neve 5042 - Mytek Stereo ADC

I work on anything from singer-songwriter-ethnic-classic-electronic...




Cheers
Neno
Old 24th September 2021 | Show parent
  #731
Lives for gear
 
augustusarnone's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Arch ➡️
Aloha gearheadz,

I run into good deal for Alan Smart C1 B-stock. Is it worth selling my thrusted 5043 and investing into C1?
Is there anyone here who has the both comps and can point out differences in between two?

Some of top mixes I like have straped C1 across mix bus.

My current chain is
Phoenix Audio DRS Q4 - Neve 5043 - Neve 5042 - Mytek Stereo ADC

I work on anything from singer-songwriter-ethnic-classic-electronic...




Cheers
Neno
I have a Dione and used to own a 5043. The Dionw is probably similar to C1, quad VCA SSL type. Just a very different sound. 5043 is thicker and a softer kind of compression, also inflates the low mids. SSL type have more smack and brighter more mid forward sound. Horses for courses, both great.
Old 27th September 2021 | Show parent
  #732
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone ➡️
I have a Dione and used to own a 5043. The Dionw is probably similar to C1, quad VCA SSL type. Just a very different sound. 5043 is thicker and a softer kind of compression, also inflates the low mids. SSL type have more smack and brighter more mid forward sound. Horses for courses, both great.
Thanks mate,

At work I have access to the original SSL e4000 quad compressor and indeed it has more forward sound but from what I understand C1 is different kind of beast.

Think it's the best if I just rent A.S. C1 for some time and see what sits the best in my setup.

Cheers
Neno
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #733
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Right now my 5043 pretty much lives in FF mode. I rarely switch it to FB.

Here's hoping for the power supply! That it lasts!
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump