The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal CMS 65 - unbelievable speakers
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
One think I feel like saying about them. They don't sound particularly like studio monitors to me. In the sense that many monitors are revealing but I'd never enjoy listening to music on them very much. And enjoying the music is important to me.

It's as though they give the great detail and a flat sound without sounding like a piece of lab kit. They are so listenable and yet so far I never feel I need to compensate for anything.
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
One think I feel like saying about them. They don't sound particularly like studio monitors to me. In the sense that many monitors are revealing but I'd never enjoy listening to music on them very much. And enjoying the music is important to me.

It's as though they give the great detail and a flat sound without sounding like a piece of lab kit. They are so listenable and yet so far I never feel I need to compensate for anything.
I'm two weeks in and noticed a "winding buzz/hum" when powering up from a cold boot (been off for hours).
This wasn't an issue when I first powered them but noticeable after 50hrs burn in.
I also noticed when switching them off (after they have been on for a few hrs) and then waiting a minute to power them back up, the "winding buzz/hum" doesn't occur.
I love em just makes me wonder how long these will last.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sounds like the caps in the power supply charging up from a cold power on. From a warm power up the caps still have residual charge in them and will have less turn on current surge.
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John57 ➑️
Sounds like the caps in the power supply charging up from a cold power on. From a warm power up the caps still have residual charge in them and will have less turn on current surge.
Thanks for the informative response. Should I be concerned? I've never experienced this with my past two monitors.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
After checking with your power connections that they are good and tight. I did had a bad power cable at one time after it been in use for some time. I would contact the manufacture and find what that have to say. You stated that this was not a problem at first but happen after 50 hours of burn in. I would be concerned.
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John57 ➑️
After checking with your power connections that they are good and tight. I did had a bad power cable at one time after it been in use for some time. I would contact the manufacture and find what that have to say. You stated that this was not a problem at first but happen after 50 hours of burn in. I would be concerned.
I was concerned and also notified Focal about it & been monitoring the issue for past week to see if it continues. Its still happening. Looks like replacement time. Just hope the next pair is flawless.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn ➑️
I was concerned and also notified Focal about it & been monitoring the issue for past week to see if it continues. Its still happening. Looks like replacement time. Just hope the next pair is flawless.
I noticed last night when I turned everything off after a long day's use both speakers were buzzing in the back near their amps.

Edit, never done it since?
Old 16th November 2013

🎧 5 years
Hi guys,

I see a lot of comments here about how well these speakers translate, but most people seem to be using them for rock, hip-hop, electro and dubstep styles of music.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these monitors for mixing jazz or classical, in particular full orchestral music. If so could you comment on their accuracy and transparency as well as imaging?

I'm looking for pair of neutral monitors that will allow me to place orchestral instruments accurately in the soundstage. I've heard good things about these, but all those comments seem to be coming from experience with those other genres.

Also, comments like: "Focals have lots of vibe and character and if you'll connect with their character, than you'll be a very happy user." make me a little concerned, as that is exactly what you don't want for mixing.
The less "character" the better - I just want speakers that are honest, flat, and neutral, with a good stereo image.

Thanks
Old 16th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddie ➑️
Hi guys,

I see a lot of comments here about how well these speakers translate, but most people seem to be using them for rock, hip-hop, electro and dubstep styles of music.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these monitors for mixing jazz or classical, in particular full orchestral music. If so could you comment on their accuracy and transparency as well as imaging?

I'm looking for pair of neutral monitors that will allow me to place orchestral instruments accurately in the soundstage. I've heard good things about these, but all those comments seem to be coming from experience with those other genres.

Also, comments like: "Focals have lots of vibe and character and if you'll connect with their character, than you'll be a very happy user." make me a little concerned, as that is exactly what you don't want for mixing.
The less "character" the better - I just want speakers that are honest, flat, and neutral, with a good stereo image.

Thanks
I do a lot of acoustic traditional music and love the cms65. I've always struggled with mixes not translating but my focals put a stop to that. They are very flat, honest monitors, esecially in the low to mid. I got mine earlier in the year and I've learnt a lot about mixing just simply because I can now finaly hear what is going on. They really do show up mix congestion and amazingly I hear thuds and pops, tiny clicks that even my headphones miss.
Their stereo images is remarkable. Even a 5% pan sticks out. Best investment I have made in ten years for my studio.
Old 21st November 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
nice!
....you couldn't pry these CMS-50 from my clutches if you tried.
Old 3rd April 2014

🎧 5 years
I did move from the HR824 to the CMS 65 ........ The CMS 65 is wonderful ... cleaner , detailed, good low range (though I'll add a sub eventual)..

NOTE: I played them for 2 days non-stop for the breakin...... then they sounded better,
HOWEVER a few days later I was relistening to some favorite CD's (Love Forever Changes, some classical) ... and I noticed that the bass had improved even more (in a very natural way, extended) than after the breakin... so I think they may need more than 20-30 hours ....
still considering a sub addition.. only need minor improvement, but I'm afraid my mixes won't be accurate without a SUB
Old 4th April 2014 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
I love the Focal 65 CMS .. except they are weak in the lowest bass .. either I need a SUB..(Focal CMS) OR..

Should I take advantage of an offer to trade them in for the Focal Twin6 Be ? (new) or on a pair of Event Opals ???
Old 5th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMusic ➑️
I love the Focal 65 CMS .. except they are weak in the lowest bass .. either I need a SUB..(Focal CMS) OR..

Should I take advantage of an offer to trade them in for the Focal Twin6 Be ? (new) or on a pair of Event Opals ???
Depends. If you want more of the same, just better, then go for the Focal Twins. I liked them more than the Opals but I didn't listen to the opals for long.

OTOH the twins are a little different sounding from the CMS line, but you should at least be in familiar territory. Of course they are amazing too.
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Highly considering these monitors in need a of a very flat, honest, non-fatiguing mid range monitor (unlike Coaxial which ended up being to fatiguing in the mid range).

Can't decide between the CMS 65's or the Sonodyne SRP600's (formerly the SM 100AK's). Has anyone here compared the two or could comment on them?

I'm mostly mixing voice over/dialogue/post production/and a good amount of pop/singer song writer music.
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The 65s are amazing speakers I'm loving my V2's but if you want that big hitting bass get the Focal sub or buy Event Opals.... skip the Focal Twins don't get me wrong they are nice speakers but can't touch the Opals low end, and front to back depth. I've had (cms50, Focal Twins,and the Sm9s) and the best speaker in that $3500 price range is the Event Opals. In my opinion they definitely hold there own against the Sm9s.
Old 22nd June 2014

🎧 10 years
Sorry for reopen an old the thread. I just wanted to ask you guys. How did you install your focals? How far away from each other and from you? I think they need to be more then 1.5m away from me..

What do you think?

Btw: i know that it depends on the room. But I think it depends on the speakers too..
Old 24th June 2014

🎧 10 years
Yep mine are about 3ft or 1 meter aprox
Old 24th June 2014

🎧 10 years
Thats a very small distance. I think that I get better bass response if I push the distance... but I dont know if the stereo image is still good. Some more
opinions?
Old 12th April 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I had exactly the same issue. I just didn't have a clue what was happening in the low end. I recently switched the LF to +2 on the back and now all my mixes translate like a dream!

Absolutely amazing monitor!!
Old 23rd August 2016 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Old thread but any truth to the word Focal CMS SUB is now discontinued?
Old 28th September 2016

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Kick! How do the CMS65's compare to a pair of Genelec 1031A's? I'm thinking about buying a pair of 1031A's and I have enough experience on those to be sure they'll work for me. However, I found a deal on the CMS65's that would allow me to get a pair of those within my budget. How do they stack up sound-wise? The specs of both are within what I'm looking for, but I'm wondering how the Focals translate and if anybody has ever done an AB comparison.

Dutchy
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…