Quantcast
New non-profit producing video of studio sessions.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New non-profit producing video of studio sessions....
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New non-profit producing video of studio sessions....

Hi all,

Long time no speak! I've been really busy putting together a new non-profit organization called Weathervane Music. In a nutshell we're experimenting with a new model for how to fund and promote the work of great independent musicians.

Our main focus to start is something we're calling the Weathervane Music Project Series. It's a curated music and music-related video series produced for the web in which selected artists come into the studio (at no cost to them, of course) and record a song. The whole thing is artfully captured in hi-definition video, providing great exposure for the artist, some interesting material for gear enthusiasts, and a general primer for Weathervane's mission.

I am posting here because the Project Series sessions involve some crazy-amazing gear, most of which is Miner Street's (that's my studio in Philadelphia where all this is happening for now), but we've had some amazing stuff donated for the sessions as well by Ecstatic Electric, Studio Logic Sound, and directly from Doug Fearn of DW Fearn himself.

Check it out and let me know what you think!
Project Series 2009 Β« Weathervane Music Organization
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Awesome!

This exemplifies what I'm planning to do here in Pittsboro NC. Just gotta get my studio finished...
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's very cool. good for you and best of luck.i'd like to hear some finished music from these guys.

loved the quality of the video too
Old 24th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have been very impressed with Weathervane and what you guys have done. I'm a current subscriber to the newsletter, I get the songs, and I watch the videos. You guys really tap into what kind of sounds and tones I've been wanted to go for, but never seen it carried out in a way that I can listen to it first, and then watch a video to see how it's done.

I also think that in a market that is hard to make money with the merch that we produce, you have taken the Non profit direction. I really hope you have success in this, because it is so different and innovative.

If you happen to know anything about the "Hammerhead" session I'd love to ask 3 questions: What bass is he playing and what is the signal path? What instruments/patches make up the keyboard lead part that we hear through the song? What tambourine is used and with what mic?

Thanks, it's been a blast.

Ryan
Old 25th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Really great!
Lives for gear

Wow. You guys actually know how to shoot and edit video. In a good way.

+1 to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice idea and very nice results!!!

Good luck!!!
Old 30th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earnhardt ➑️
If you happen to know anything about the "Hammerhead" session I'd love to ask 3 questions: What bass is he playing and what is the signal path? What instruments/patches make up the keyboard lead part that we hear through the song? What tambourine is used and with what mic?

Thanks, it's been a blast.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the kind words!

Dave plays a Jazz Bass, a Geddy Lee model, to be precise. I want to say it's made in Mexico, but I could be incorrect. The bass went through a Creation Audio Labs MW-1 on the direct going into a Distressor, and he played through a Matchless Thunderman mic'd with a U67, also into a Distressor. It's a pretty killer bass rig. In mixing I ran the bass out the MW-1 through a RAT pedal. Worked nicely, I thought.

The Keyboard lead was a combined upright piano, and upright tack piano, mixed with a sound from their little micro korg. I am sorry i don't know the exact patch. The piano had a pair of KM184s on it, going into either Pacificas or the DW Fearn VT-2...I am sorry I don't have the notes right in front of me.

THe tambourine is a simple Latin Percussion tambourine. It's wood and has two rows of jingles. It's about the fourth or fifth they've gone through as they break from her playing it live. It was broken, too, ie. the one we recorded.

I am sorry if my details aren't 100% spot on. I have notes that I will check. This is exactly the type of conversation I hope will come up around these videos! So I will look this all up to be sure.

By the way, we just completed two more sessions with two other bands: BC Camplight from Philadelphia, and Danielson from Clarksboro NJ. Songs and recordings were really fun!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 13th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These videos are GREAT!

I also like the concept of your whole project!

But we neeeeed moooooooreeeee!
Old 15th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice!!! Keep the good work coming

We are planning to do the same, it is good promotion for bands and the studio so people can see how if feels like being in a studio

Nikolas
Old 15th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What an inspiring project, ride on! I'll deffinetely keep an eye on it.

Old 24th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Moving this conversation

Hey Folks,

I am resuming the conversation HERE:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...ane-music.html

Lots has happened in the past month or two, and we'll be announcing some other new stuff soon, as well. All VERY good stuff!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…