Quantcast
Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss HUGE GRAMMY winner! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss HUGE GRAMMY winner!
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss HUGE GRAMMY winner!

KUDOS to my fellow members of the Academy for great pickings.

The formidable duo of Robert Plant & Alison Krauss were the evening's top winners, picking up five total GRAMMYs for Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals, Best Country Collaboration With Vocals, and Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album.

Congratulations also to Raising Sand producer T Bone Burnett, himself a great underrated artist. This is very encouraging development, REAL MUSIC triumphs in an age of manufactured ****e.

- NME
- Grammys
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
sometimes yes it does!
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, 2 of the best and some of my favorites, however I did not buy the CD, it horrible, its dark and does nothing for me, maybe the next one will be better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree that I dislike the album, it's limited to the max and it's holding up Led Zeppelin but....

Congrats to 2 artists that I very much like have liked some of their material in their careers.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great artists, glad they did well, but why so much autotune on what is an otherwise earthy album?? that ruined it for me....

Russell
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➡️
Great artists, glad they did well, but why so much autotune on what is an otherwise earthy album?? that ruined it for me....

Russell
Please can you point out some Autotune moments? I've doted on this album for a year and haven't noticed any of that.

Massive kudos and congratulations to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, and I also agree that T Bone Burnett is well underrated!!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know the album well, but i got turned off by that.. looks like some other folks were bothered by it too:

https://gearspace.com/board/1681625-post27.html
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Too damn dark for me too....love Alison and Robert Plant but damn that record is dark !!

David B
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Raising Sand dark sound...

I personally love the dark sound they got on this album...totally swampy which fits the mood of the songs incredibly. This album stands out in how different it sounds from the other albums of the day. I attribute most of the darkness to Bellerose's drums and the way he plays them...old WWII Rolling Bomber Slingerlands that are tuned pretty low/played very gracefully. Sometimes he covers them with blankets. He doesn't use much cymbal, either, which adds to the darkness. I personally find him to be one of the most inspiring and inspired drummers today.

I've often wondered about the autotuning throughout this album....please, gimme some slight flatness on a coupla notes, will ya? Trying to hide such humanity is counterproductive, especially when you have singers as talented as Kraus and Plant, IMHO. But many engineers think listeners need/want sterility, and so the overuse of Autotune follows.
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmanbenny ➡️
I personally love the dark sound they got on this album...totally swampy which fits the mood of the songs incredibly.
Agreed.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmanbenny ➡️
I personally love the dark sound they got on this album...totally swampy which fits the mood of the songs incredibly. This album stands out in how different it sounds from the other albums of the day.
Another +1. Love the album, though I agree that hearing the Autotune work on these übersingers puts one off.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…