We got a record deal!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
We got a record deal!!
Old 2nd February 2009
Chiconcuac
We got a record deal!!

Finally!!!

Warner Music Spain signed my band!!

We are gonna start the recording of our first album soon, I will co-produce it with one of the top notch names in Spain.

I am so happy!!

Richie.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Congrats and enjoy the process! thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTone ➑️
Congratulations!
yes in deed Congratulations, now you are in debt if you don't sell. 20-30 years ago I would have given my right arm for a deal, not now, some small indie woukd be cool just so I'm not wrapped up into something huge, I enjoy studio work much more than playing in my later 40s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
been there done that. congrats!

not sure how it is outside the US....but I'd probably get a lawyer to look over the contract. helped us.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiconcuac ➑️
Finally!!!

We are gonna start the recording of our first album soon, I will co-produce it with one of the top notch names in Spain.

I am so happy!!

Richie.
Congrats! Have a great time! Don't expect an easy ride but take it as far as it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
yes in deed Congratulations, now you are in debt if you don't sell. 20-30 years ago I would have given my right arm for a deal, not now, some small indie woukd be cool just so I'm not wrapped up into something huge, I enjoy studio work much more than playing in my later 40s.
Talk about pissing on a fire.

Why bring your 'later 40s' cynicism here?

This is the Good News forum... Jeez.

R.

P.S. And yes, although the industry is obviously changing, signing a record deal with a major label is not a death knell. It's still a good choice for certain artists in certain situations.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
CONGRATS! Unlike some I would still give me right leg to have a deal, you lucky sod!
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Felicidades picha brava!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened ➑️
been there done that. congrats!

not sure how it is outside the US....but I'd probably get a lawyer to look over the contract. helped us.
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats - I wish you and your band the best! thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congrats
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Congrats, seriously...! Just dont drop the soap...

Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiconcuac ➑️
Finally!!!

I am so happy!!

Richie.
Felicidades! Wish you guys success!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundawg ➑️
tutt
O come on guys, maybe I was a little harsh, but it was my opinion and mine alone. I know many artist/bands that are in debt now because they did not do well, even if they gig the record label gets the money off them for payback, they are risk in the biz.

I hope the BEST !!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
O come on guys, maybe I was a little harsh, but it was my opinion and mine alone. I know many artist/bands that are in debt now because they did not do well, even if they gig the record label gets the money off them for payback, they are risk in the biz.

I hope the BEST !!!
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome...go for it...enjoy the ride...get all you can out of them. Advances, free cd's, clothing sponsorships, it's all good. Don't worry about the payback. I still owe Warners from when I was signed to them 6 years ago. They send me statements every quater showing how much is owed. But they and I both know, they're never going to get it from me, as they didn't pick up the option on the contract. They have no claim to any income I now make, studio live or anything else, other than mechanical sales of the catalogue recorded with them.
DO - get an independant lawyer to look over the contract. Not so you can play hardball, but just so you fully understand what you are signing away.
Also try to retain control of your publishing, that is where we made all the cash. (and paid for my studio)
I stay safe in my studio producing and mixing now, but I totally loved being signed to a major. It opens many doors regardless of whether you make money or not. Many of the contacts I have now I met when I was signed. It can be disheartening at times, but f*&k it...if I was younger I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Good luck with it all. Make sure you take the time to enjoy it amongst the stress of release dates etc. and learn everything you can. You will see and learn more about the inside workings of the music industry being with a major than you could in 10 years of working on your own.
Woohoo to you. (and your bandmates)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai An ➑️
+1
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Wicked man that is such great news
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai An ➑️
I'm real sure what I'm talking about, I have saw it a few times.
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
I'm real sure what I'm talking about, I have saw it a few times.
I've seen it as well. Most artists don't recoup on their albums, they get a big advance, have to spend it on an album, they're in the hole and they are losing money promoting their first tour... Which is why I haven't signed on a major yet even though I was given contracts.

I've known signed artists on major labels who were totally broke.
Old 15th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FIRST and foremost... CONGRATULATIONS !!!

This is the same view you always hear (in relation so signing with a major).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
I've seen it as well. Most artists don't recoup on their albums, they get a big advance, have to spend it on an album, they're in the hole and they are losing money promoting their first tour... Which is why I haven't signed on a major yet even though I was given contracts.

IN ACTUAL FACT acts rarely recoup the advances they get when signing (especially with a major)... BUT, the REAL trick with a major is..... not caring about this. What do I mean? Well... there are other revenue streams that "you" make money from... PUBLISHING brings in sync fees from TV/Film placements and Radio, also mechanicals on the album cuts.... then there is MERCHANDISE... you make WAY more on merch if you have developed your brand across an ever-growing audience... then there are GUARANTEES (the fees you get for playing live)... what does this all mean? WELL a Major can get you much more attention faster than and indy or yourself... so if they do one or two albums and drop you and they spent 1 million dollars total... who cares, you WANT them to spend a lot on you (you walk away in the end)... if you were wise and frugal, you're now a free agent (after being dropped) with probably a MUCH larger audience to mine than other wise... let them spend as much as they'll spend to blow you up. never expect to make anything form the records... they're )the records) just "advertisement" for your 'brand'. JUST (again... it bears repeating) keep as much publishing and merch rights as you can... and be frugal and cheap... and LEARN... expect to get F***d but be prepared and you can minimize or negate it.

CAVEAT to all this... what is more then most important thing about ANY label... are the people.. are they REALLY into you. If not... being on a smaller Indy with motivated people can be much better than a Major with indifferent people attached to you. A MANAGER is more important than a label. GREAT Radio promoters are more important than A&R, and a deal with a GREAT agent is harder to get than a label deal.

If you lucky-like-the-lottery then you be a hit....

Either way... be wise and dig the ride... it's hard... but so is life... and there's nothing else quite like it.

The Stones never made as much money on records as on touring and merch.
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I hope the BEST !!!
Yeah, for sure. THere is no way I would sign a deal with a record label, much less a major.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
felicidades y buena suerte.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️

And I know signed artists on major labels who aren't. I don't know why there are people on this thread raining on the OP's parade. Be happy for the guy and wish them the best of luck.

It is possible so I wouldn't rule things out.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, no kidding--most of the people pissing on your parade are jealous/bitter, of course, never signed themselves--so don't worry about them--no shortage of haters in this biz. Enjoy the ride, learn, and network like crazy! It may not be the end all-be-all (it never was), but it means someone believes in your music enough to take a ri$k, and that's always huge!
Old 22nd March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That's good news! All the best to you and your band!
Old 22nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Great good luck and hope everything works out for you
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Congrats
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…