Quantcast
For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers

Just came across this myspace page.. Im a huge floyd fan and a friend told me to check it out... It so happens that Bill Schnee mixed it and doug sax mastered.

They just dont make music like this anymore :(

the production is amazing and it sounds fantastic. major props to these guys for coming up with a great album....

has anyone else heard this? or know any info about it? where it was tracked and such...

here is the link

David Abshire on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

and his main page where you can listen to the whole album free all th way through

davidabshire.com
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
WOW!!!

thats some really F***ING good music.. schnee and sax.... cant go wrong there..

im buying this right now!

who is Marc Nelson?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yep. Im picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
hey micgiver... do you know the person that tracked this? im from chicago and noticed that mr. abshire is too. any contact info of this marc nelson guy? what studio they did it in?

i bought the album online and listened to it 3 times in a row.. I havent heard anything this planed but beautiful in over 10 years.. yes it sounds very floyd.. but pulls it off with ease.. how the hell did he get the drums to sound so damn good? plus the fact that its only 30 some odd min long is fantastic! all the songs mesh perfect.. IM super jealous!

Mcgiver help a brother out if you know anymore info!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey NeveMaster...

all i know after to some research is they did some tracking at CRC and wall2wall..

as for the drums no idea.. but yeah they sound gooood..

im in the same boat as you.. im gonna try to get some info from abshire...

as for this marc nelson guy... i think hes on his page too..

i guess he's a younger guy... nice to know theres engineers that age that can make records sound like that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Thanks for the tip on this. Sounds fantastic. I've ordered the CD.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I swear, as the male voice appeared I got goosebumps and they lastet the whole song.
Very Floyd like but whatever, truly amazing sound and performance.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
cool.. thanks micgiver!

i hit up that marc guy on myspace... i guess they tracked most at his studio.. the alley..

i've listened to this album 5 times today... its kind of addicting
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
anyone else hear this?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Nice stuff...

Thought I heard some autotune on the female vocalist though?? Such a drag for such organic stuff....

Was it me??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysjo ➑️
Nice stuff...

Thought I heard some autotune on the female vocalist though?? Such a drag for such organic stuff....

Was it me??
No it wasn't you on the song On The Edge they definitely auto tuned her voice.

Also, there is a ton of AT on his voice on the song Window to My Mind.

The recording quality on this isn't even close to Pink Floyd, (DSOTM for 1 example) by the way.

Not by a long shot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
No it wasn't you on the song On The Edge they definitely auto tuned her voice.

Also, there is a ton of AT on his voice on the song Window to My Mind.

The recording quality on this isn't even close to Pink Floyd, (DSOTM for 1 example) by the way.

Not by a long shot.

Right i can hear it AT is killing the song....i dont find it one bit organic , sounds plastic to me. lifeless. although the recordings are good no where near floyd status...now those albums where a sonic pleasure to listen to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard autotune on both the male and female.

I just went to amazon and listened to as much as I could and I don't think I like the sound of anything on this album and I love Floyd/Gabriel type stuff as much or more than the next. I guess to each his own...
Cam
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i talked to marc the engineer on this record for a good while today on the phone..

i asked him the same thing about the AT.. As he says... its over used as an affect.. The songs all deal with a mans mortality and at times he's looking inside himself...thinking he's fake or not really there.. The girls voice is supposed to be like an AI driod or something i guess... I told hiim no one would really catch that idea unless you look at the lyrics or something...

he stated there in development in make it a feature Movie with a story with extreme visuals and such.. something like a moulin rouge...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ear-candy, hell yes, but definitely not my cup o' tea. It's contrived and self-indulgent. Over the top '80s throwback rock-opera BS. Any song that starts with "Touch me..." and isn't sung by Roger Daltry gets the boot!

Sorry about the harshness. But I gottabe honest!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't understand why so many engineers, mixers, etc. hate the sound of Auto Tune. I agree it's over used in R&B and Hip-Hop, but I would never decide if I liked or disliked a song based on whether or not you can hear the AT. I think Melodyne is great and if used properly on a good singer, most people can't tell it's being used. This is the AT that I like. Let's face it, most drum takes are edited to high hell, as are the vocals. That's the standard in my opinion
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind ➑️
I don't understand why so many engineers, mixers, etc. hate the sound of Auto Tune. I agree it's over used in R&B and Hip-Hop, but I would never decide if I liked or disliked a song based on whether or not you can hear the AT. I think Melodyne is great and if used properly on a good singer, most people can't tell it's being used. This is the AT that I like. Let's face it, most drum takes are edited to high hell, as are the vocals. That's the standard in my opinion
The cut I listened to on the mypsace site did not use AT as an effect it was used obviously for pitch correction here and there. She sounds like she can sing, why not record a few more takes? AT drives me crazy...

Not to go off on a tangent, but I was listening to a Chet Baker CD the other day. He may or may not be your thing...while Chet is known for his trumpet playing, I was listening to "Someone to Watch Over Me" which is a vocal cut. Chet sang tunes perfectly straight and nailed every note with incredible pitch. IMHO every singer should be required to strive for this level of focus before they learn to "riff."

rant over...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I personally didn't decide that I didn't care for it based on the Autotune, I just don't care for it at all. The reason Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel are so amazing is because they mix in the down slow portions of music with angry violent heavy portions with everything in between and it's a roller coaster ride driven by a master. This album didn't do that for me, it seemed like it was mostly the downs and just not my cup of tea.

Also, the reason I don't like hearing Autotune is it sounds like fake BS. If you use it as an effect, then you use it on a portion not the whole album. I believe that stripping the talent out of things is not a good thing and it's a bad direction that we are heading. It's one thing to massage the voice back into pitch, it's another to get it back in tune with a sledghammer.

Does anybody else notice that there are fewer and fewer ugly singers than in the 60's-80's?...talent has taken a backseat to T&A because of technology. I know looks have always been important, don't get me wrong...it just seems everybody looks like a model...except amy winehouse.

Rap uses it because there are less options with production to make you sound different than everybody else. It's not like you have 4-5 people in your rap group doing there own style to add up to a certain sound like a band. I think that is one reason Dr. Dre's stuff ends up sounding so much better than everybody else, he uses great musicians and then beefs them up and it has a lot more of a human quality to it.

All of this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it but lets have a great day anyway.
cam
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The amount of Autotune was indeed excessive. You can get away with that amount of Dr. Antares if the singer is powerful enough and expressive enough, but in this case, the singer was a little mealy. The tuning turned him into a synthesizer. If that's what they were going for, as indicated by a poster below, then ok, but I think the greater gist could have been much more powerful with more a more organic vocal treatment.

Floyd, while not my favorite group by any means, always had a way of turning a song into an epic experience all its own. In this, I hear very pedestrian chord changes, awkward lyric construction with some odd rhythms, as if he's trying to get the notes to fit into the musical phrasing he's chosen, and not the other way around.

The drums, while crisp, sound rather typical and don't stand out much to me. Well mixed and tracked to be sure, but I track and mix drum sounds like that every day. Show me something with a little soul. If the songs are going to be dark, they have to feel dark, visceral.

Anyway, that's my (I guess not quite so) humble take. It's a good effort, excellent packaging, but just kinda leaves me cold.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Listening to this stuff reminds me of just how hard it is to get this sort of music right. Like PG and PF do 90% of the time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well I'd be interested to see what you all think about my vocals. When I finish a song- I will post it up here or give a link to my MySpace page. I don't use Melodyne for an effect. I use it just to make the vocals in perfect tune. The average person wouldn't have a clue that there's some pitch correction I guarantee that. And seeing as most gear slutz or harmony central cats wouldn't buy my album- I don't make music for engineers, or mixers, mastering guys. We'll see. Maybe you all will think I suck. But either way, I bought James's singing DVD and have been practicing a lot. He's an amazing singer. I will learn a lot from him.
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like Peter Gabriel and love Pink Floyd and don't care much for this at all. Some very nice tones but sorry, I just couldn't get around the excessive AT - even if it was by 'creative design' as earlier stated. It was to the point of being just ridiculous IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Might I suggest, rather then worrying about "perfect pitch" and using computer programs to be "perfect" . . . spend more time checking out people like Paul Rogers, Aretha Franklin, Sinatra, Otis etc etc who stood in front of a mic (or held a SM58 in Rogers case) and did one or two takes . . . then left it alone. This whole AT thing for effect is going to sound very dated one day. One thing you can say about talent w/o computer effects is . . . . it will never be dated sounding. Actually, the way we are going, it might. Sad.

Quote:
I don't use Melodyne for an effect. I use it just to make the vocals in perfect tune. The average person wouldn't have a clue that there's some pitch correction I guarantee that. And seeing as most gear slutz or harmony central cats wouldn't buy my album- I don't make music for engineers, or mixers, mastering guys.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Autotune is the new 80's Gated Reverb sound
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micgiver ➑️
Just came across this myspace page.. Im a huge floyd fan and a friend told me to check it out... It so happens that Bill Schnee mixed it and doug sax mastered.

They just dont make music like this anymore :(

the production is amazing and it sounds fantastic. major props to these guys for coming up with a great album....

has anyone else heard this? or know any info about it? where it was tracked and such...

here is the link

David Abshire on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

and his main page where you can listen to the whole album free all th way through

davidabshire.com
Holy crap!!

It has been a LONG TIME since my heart ached with love for music like this!

I cant even describe the feeling! Production is just amazing, as it should be not to distract from the music.....this is BEAUTIFUL!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveMaster ➑️
The girls voice is supposed to be like an AI driod or something i guess... I told hiim no one would really catch that idea unless you look at the lyrics or something...
IMO if that's the intention, they'd have been better to *sing* it that way, as a performance technique, rather than leaning on AT as an effect. Using AT as a way to filter out the "humanness" seems oddly contrived.

As it is, the heavy AT makes it hard to listen to, probably because you don't really get the sense that you're listening to actual performances.

I doubt that's just a tech perspective...
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky ➑️
IMO if that's the intention, they'd have been better to *sing* it that way, as a performance technique, rather than leaning on AT as an effect. Using AT as a way to filter out the "humanness" seems oddly contrived.

As it is, the heavy AT makes it hard to listen to, probably because you don't really get the sense that you're listening to actual performances.

I doubt that's just a tech perspective...

well i guess its time for me to chime in... I've avoided gearslutz for many many years for
one reason... BS.. was on it 5 years ago and got nothing but ridiculous opinions... but got 10 myspace requests about this forum... im not saying im better as an engineer than anyone here.. i was paid a very healthy salary to do what i did for this album... something any engineer would dream of... I 've read all of the post regarding ID. and some may be good and some may be bad.. im not here to judge but after looking into the background of all its... its always that the negative people never have anything beter to do then to be one here... IM 27.. IVE WORKED IN THIS FEILD FOR OVER 9 YEARS STRAIGHT.. and in that nine years... NEVER had the time to spend my days t o really bash someone for doing his job. as for this quote above... Dark skys... ive seen your site.. what you do and such i think youre a bit far out of your element.. i've heard your mixes and still cant grasp why you bash this.. None of the autotune is for pitch value but for effect.. what you said above is like saying... why do they even record to good equipment.. the song is so good... why do they use cgi...when you can imagine a dinosaur... why doesn't that band play air guitar... they can just fake it.... Its just a music video..they ARENT PLAYING ANYWAYS... ITs called EFFECT.. YOU CANT MAKE A PERSON SOUND ARTIFICIAL.. IM REALLY SORRY BRO.. BEEN IN WAY TOO MANY SESSIONS IN MY LIFE... JST DOEST WORK LIKE THAT..

AS FOR Chaellus... I'VE LOOKED THROUGH YOUR POSTS... CAN YOU BE ANYMORE OPINIONATED? DO YOU EVER WORK? SERIOUSLY?

THANK YOU ALL FOR SPENDING THE TIME LISTENING TO THIS PIECE THAT I SPENT MY YOUNGER YEARS CUTTING MY TEETH ON.. THANK YOU ALL FOR LISTENING TO THIS PIECE... THAT GOT ME INTO THE REAL INNER CIRCLE OF BILL SCHNEE AND DOUG SAX... AND THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME LIVE A LIFE THAT I LOVE

TO ALL THAT BASH.. KEEP IT COMING... IT DOESNT FAZE ME A SECOND..

\P.S. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WITH ANYTHING??? IM HERE.. I FEEL PEOPLE WILL NEED TO VENT AFTER READING THIS..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am curious about the snare sound on the record. Can you tell us a little about the tracking and treatment in the mix?
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
I am curious about the snare sound on the record. Can you tell us a little about the tracking and treatment in the mix?

ill try to help in any way that i can... do you have certain song that your regarding? thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 ➑️
ill try to help in any way that i can... do you have certain song that your regarding? thumbsup
Great! On The Edge would definitely be one I am interested in.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…